Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:NB rep told me Lost in Orbit is the session ipa from the mystery pack.
And they've got Dupliticious dry-hopped gose coming out soon too, which was the fourth style in the mix pack. They claimed the Cheeky Bastard was a different recipe than the mystery pack stout, but to me it tasted near identical, so by the looks of it they ended up releasing all four beers anyway.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

I'm pretty sure Duplicitous existed well before they put out that mystery pack. I guess it's possible that they just slapped a mystery label onto an existing product (in order to see if it was worth pursuing a wider release), but I don't know why they'd choose to be secretive about it.

Same with the Cheeky/mystery stout comparison - I agree that they were very similar beers, but if they really are the same beer why not just say that (or at least, admit to it when asked)? What do they get out of it by lying?

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:NB rep told me Lost in Orbit is the session ipa from the mystery pack.
I had it in growler format on the weekend, it definitely did not taste like the mystery session ale...

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

darmokandjalad wrote:I'm pretty sure Duplicitous existed well before they put out that mystery pack. I guess it's possible that they just slapped a mystery label onto an existing product (in order to see if it was worth pursuing a wider release), but I don't know why they'd choose to be secretive about it.

Same with the Cheeky/mystery stout comparison - I agree that they were very similar beers, but if they really are the same beer why not just say that (or at least, admit to it when asked)? What do they get out of it by lying?
A good marketing strategy. I'm not being accusatory or anything, but in today's beer market you need to find creative ways to stand out. The stout recipes may very well be different, but are so close that many people would have trouble discerning them apart outside of a side-by-side tasting.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

coming to the lcbo:

#576892 - Beyond The Pale Brewing Co. - Yummy! IPA

portwood

Post by portwood »

spinrsx wrote:coming to the lcbo:

hopefully to wider distribution than just Ottawa area stores...
@markhamwhisky

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

portwood wrote:

Hopefully it won't be $4.50 or something.

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

Orval_Al wrote:
portwood wrote:

Bet you $4.50 it will be.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Crooked Stave Sour Rose $9.30/375ml

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/crooke ... ose/295658

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Bet you $4.50 it will be.
It’s only $4.00!

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/beyond ... mmy/576892

HeadyestTopper

Post by HeadyestTopper »

KBS starting to roll out at some Toronto stores and 1 Ottawa store.......sorry if ya'll already know this!

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

HeadyestTopper wrote:KBS starting to roll out at some Toronto stores and 1 Ottawa store.......sorry if ya'll already know this!
Also plenty of backwoods bastard about.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

HeadyestTopper wrote:KBS starting to roll out at some Toronto stores and 1 Ottawa store.......sorry if ya'll already know this!
Perfect summer beer LCBO!! :D

roland

Post by roland »

dale cannon wrote:
Watch out for the Backwoods Bastard expiry dates. The bottles I'd picked up last week were July 20, 2018. No wonder the price is now 3.30, down from 4.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

This beer ages pretty well from my experience
roland wrote:
dale cannon wrote:
Watch out for the Backwoods Bastard expiry dates. The bottles I'd picked up last week were July 20, 2018. No wonder the price is now 3.30, down from 4.