Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

FOUNDERS CBS even better on day two (small pours are the key)

Collective Arts - Life In The Clouds. This might be my single favorite go-to beer. Surprising brewery after all.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Crooked Stave Bière de Garde — This may be my first Bière de Garde. Pours a deep copper/chestnut. Nose is bready malt with some lemon and oak. Rather tart with a nice malt backing, balanced. Drinks like a dark sour. More dark, malty and sour and less dry, spicy and carbonated than most Belgian style farmhouse ales I've had. I could drink this one alone, whereas I usually save my saisons/farmhouse ales to drink with food.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Indie Alehouse:
Indie Alehouse B-Sharp Blueberry Saison (draft)
Indie Alehouse Instigator Pale Ale (draft)
Indie Alehouse Breakfast Porter (draft)

Over the week at home:
Rainhard Chill Pils
Bellwoods Boysenberry Plum Jelly King
Bellwoods 100% Maris Otter Pale Ale w/ Simcoe
Rainhard Rage & Love - Plum and Cardamom
Bellwoods Runes - Amarillo & Mosaic

Monday & Wednesday:
Nothing (felt the need to post this in a drinking thread)

Right now:
Coffee :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Nickel brook wicked awesome ipa. Quite good, hazy and hoppy, contains my wife’s 3 fave hops, citra mosaic and simcoe

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

cratez wrote:Monday & Wednesday:
Nothing (felt the need to post this in a drinking thread)
I assume this is a poke at me. I suppose I could have started a new "Damn, beer sure can be expensive at an entertainment venue" thread, but....I didn't.

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Picked up a sixer of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed today. BB August 15, so better come get it before it's officially stale.

In all fairness, it still tastes ok. But not nearly as good as the can of Life in the Clouds I had afterwards... or the can of Nickel Brook Wicked Awesome I had last night.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

darmokandjalad wrote:Picked up a sixer of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed today. BB August 15, so better come get it before it's officially stale.

In all fairness, it still tastes ok. But not nearly as good as the can of Life in the Clouds I had afterwards... or the can of Nickel Brook Wicked Awesome I had last night.
https://www.deschutesbrewery.com/focused-fresh-beer/

So it seems their IPAs have a shelf-life of 120 days, meaning this batch is about 3 months old. I'm still gonna give it a try since I've liked everything I've ever had from Deschutes.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

seangm wrote:So it seems their IPAs have a shelf-life of 120 days, meaning this batch is about 3 months old. I'm still gonna give it a try since I've liked everything I've ever had from Deschutes.
Same. 90-day-old Deschutes IPA is not wonderfully fresh but it still isn't Deschits.

We owe so much to these American companies for inspiring great craft beer trends. I'll support them on general principle.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

seangm wrote:
darmokandjalad wrote:Picked up a sixer of Deschutes Fresh Squeezed today. BB August 15, so better come get it before it's officially stale.

So it seems their IPAs have a shelf-life of 120 days, meaning this batch is about 3 months old. I'm still gonna give it a try since I've liked everything I've ever had from Deschutes.

I'm with you on this one. Now, if only we could get Black Butte again.....

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Grain and Grit-Heavenly hash IPA. Very tasty beer, tropical and dank, doesn't feel anywhere near the 100ibu.

Bellwoods-witch shark. It's been probably 5 years or so since I've had a witchshark, so I may be wrong....but this seems like a completely different recipe than it used to be. Tasty as all hell, lots of orange pith, mango and passionfruit. Much more of a neipa now I think.

Wellington-Candle Burner coffee IPA. I really enjoy when breweries make a coffee beer in a different style, other than the old stout/porter(which I find kind of redundant). The cold brewed coffee flavour really comes through in this drink. The fruitiness of the hops seems to be a bit masked by the coffee but there's still a nice bitterness to it.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Bellwoods-witch shark. It's been probably 5 years or so since I've had a witchshark, so I may be wrong....but this seems like a completely different recipe than it used to be. Tasty as all hell, lots of orange pith, mango and passionfruit. Much more of a neipa now I think.
Yes they ditched the previous style which I thought wasn't much to my liking - it certainly got more hop-hazy but also they improved the hop flavors quite a bit, so that now it's way less harshly peppery on the palate. I never used to drink WitchShark and sort of gave up on it but now it's top-shelf stuff, along with SunSplit and Greenwood and a few others. 'Tasty as hell now' as you say - very different ale.

I also tried a sample of WS right next to the Stone City Ales' own new NE-DIPA which while good is not as tweaked as Bellwoods has got WS right now. SCA does work on their beers over time and are worth re-visiting.
In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Belgian wrote:
seangm wrote:So it seems their IPAs have a shelf-life of 120 days, meaning this batch is about 3 months old. I'm still gonna give it a try since I've liked everything I've ever had from Deschutes.
Same. 90-day-old Deschutes IPA is not wonderfully fresh but it still isn't Deschits.

We owe so much to these American companies for inspiring great craft beer trends. I'll support them on general principle.
Totally agree. Supporting them hopefully means the LCBO will continue to bring in great beers from the US, and if we're lucky fresher batches too.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
seangm wrote:

I'm with you on this one. Now, if only we could get Black Butte again.....
Most definitely, that's still one of my favourite all-around porters. Up there with Edmund Fitzgerald.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

The Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA is still okay, but IMO is beyond best before. Hardly "fresh squeezed" and a bit more malt forward. It's also a fair bit darker than I expected.

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

GtownRandy wrote:Nickel brook wicked awesome ipa. Quite good, hazy and hoppy, contains my wife’s 3 fave hops, citra mosaic and simcoe
I picked up a case at the Beer Store that was brewed at the end of June. Great stuff. Possibly the best beer at the Beer Store.