Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Witchstock 2018

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

Seems that it sold out in less than a minute. clicked "buy tickets" right at 10, and was nearly immediately told it was sold out.

To those that go, enjoy!

tyler90

Post by tyler90 »

I think they sold out. Good lord, clearly the new price point was fine for most.

EDIT: They didn't sell out, the system was slow. Tickets available ATM.
Last edited by tyler90 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Thought about it. In my younger days I'd likely have gone. I've found I can't drink as much as I used to. I won't get my monies worth with "unlimited" samples.

I never went to the previous one and I've never been to their Hafis location to see how 750 people fit in there but that number is really off putting. It's already pretty uncomfortable at Cask Days. I've done Friday afternoon sessions for the past couple of years and it's been lovely, though last year I noticed a markedly increase of people for it. :-?
lister

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I was in queue to purchase at 10:00 and then was dropped after about 15 seconds.

They need to start doing lotteries for these things. All you do is piss people off with these online line-ups.

I was able to keep getting back in line too only to be dropped again and again. At 10:19 that stopped too.

ckoop

Post by ckoop »

Tickets appear to still be available, which isn't surprising given the price. I keep debating going, but the lack of info on their site is poor at best, unless I'm missing a whole FAQ somewhere. No mention about if DDs are allowed inside, I'd assume no though since I am sure that would open a can of worms they wouldn't be able to handle. No mention about tickets being transferable. It appears you put your name on the ticket, so I am assuming they are not, but that would be nice to know before plunking down the cash and something coming up stopping one from going. For claiming to have learned a lot from beer fests around the world over the last year, their information around this fest is bush league.

Really sounds like a great fest, though, but don't think I can be bothered until they start to provide better info. Plus, the limited releases they had last year were underwhelming overall so that part of the draw doesn't matter much to me.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

And I got it to work...

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Wow, with tax and service charge the total for one ticket is $142.97!

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Of course I'll post my usual complaint about not posting the beer list before tickets are available. Sigh.
lister

distr0

Post by distr0 »

i'm so conflicted. that's a lot of dough. but it was so good last year.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Totally slipped my mind this morning, but luckily there are still tickets available.

I really feel good about this purchase. I spent $100 at the fest last year felt very satisfied.

$40 more this year (including fees) is just not that big of a hill to climb, especially considering it's open bar, more/better breweries and I just learned there is 45 mins of "Early Entrance" to the Ontario section included. Very nice!

Bellwoods has a long history of good execution, so I'm betting this event will be top notch.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

The price didn’t really bother me too much. I think it probably keeps some of the ‘drink-as-much-as-possible’ cretins away, which is a good thing. Not that I have given it much thought, but the trading and travel costs associated with getting to try some of the stuff that will be available has got to be much more than the admission cost.

Also, the $142.?? whatever it was is just the start too though. I mean, the collaboration beers available for takeaway are going to run that up a little more. I’m guessimg another $200 or so by the end of the day.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Those are pretty reasonable responses for the most part. I'm still a bit skeptical about how effectively some of those considerations will get implemented but maybe Im just a cranky pants :) They have at least considered that stuff which is a good start. We shall see!

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

JerCraigs wrote:Those are pretty reasonable responses for the most part. I'm still a bit skeptical about how effectively some of those considerations will get implemented but maybe Im just a cranky pants :) They have at least considered that stuff which is a good start. We shall see!
I think everyone can agree that they're doing a reasonable job of putting on a high level beer festival. Nobody is balking because the lineup won't be good enough or because they think they'll be treated badly while there. Every dissenting opinion I've seen has basically been that 150 bucks isn't worth it to them for 3 hours of drinking. I think their reply is fair, but I also think questioning the cost is fair. Ultimately this will come down to basic economics; either enough people will find it worth it at the price point to justify the festival or they won't. I'm not getting hugely invested either way.

If I though they were misadvertising the festival, I could see people being angry at them, but that just isn't the case.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Craig wrote:Ultimately this will come down to basic economics; either enough people will find it worth it at the price point to justify the festival or they won't. I'm not getting hugely invested either way.

If I though they were misadvertising the festival, I could see people being angry at them, but that just isn't the case.
I think you nailed it here, and the pricing and reaction to it is emblematic of a huge sea change in our scene over the past 15 years. We've moved from a relatively simple market with 40 brewers making core brews and the occasional one off to a couple hundred breweries, some of whom are producing extremely limited edition stuff. If you remember the days when craft beer was all similarly priced and you could try or attend anything without breaking the bank, the new higher price points stick in your craw a little. Unfortunately, its just the nature of the market and those of us who question the value of $15 beers and $150 beer festivals do have a choice. I miss trying everything though - I don't have enough money left over after a mountain of expenses to take a risk on something that might not justify the cost in my eyes - whether a festival or a beer.