Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

So long "Mental Bob"

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

PRMason
Bar Fly

So long "Mental Bob"

Post by PRMason »

It is with deep sadness that I announce the passing of my father, Bob Mason. He was a true believer in beer and specifically in Scotch Irish. Without his aid, the Sgt. Major IPA would never have been bottled ( and without his father, it would not have a name). Affectionately called "Mental Bob" by some of us because of his mercurial temper, he will be sorely missed. Now, I must have a couple of Sgt.'s and a few more Tsarina's in his honour.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

tupalev
Seasoned Drinker

Post by tupalev »

I am very sorry to hear this news Perry, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Very sorry to hear it, Perry!

I can't indulge with a Sgt. Major, as it's not available in this one-horse town. I will have a Tsarina, in his honour, this evening.

Blankboy

Post by Blankboy »

My deepest condolences Perry.
"Everything's better with monkeys!"

Gunny

Post by Gunny »

My condolences Perry.

Jeff

joey_capps
Bar Fly

Post by joey_capps »

I'm sorry for you loss, Perry. My condolences.

Joe

DougShoemaker

Post by DougShoemaker »

Perry,
My condolences on Your Father. My thoughts, and I'm sure those who've had the pleasure of meeting You, are with You and Your Family.

Doug

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Perry,
Sounds like your father was a good sort of Dad, and that is a loss.

Bob Mason did leave us all something, he raised one a hell of a brewer, and that must certainly be a fact he proudly enjoyed before his passing.

Dads mean a lot to our lives, and when they depart they can leave quite a surprisng legacy, a part of them that remains.

My prayers with you and yours.

God bless,
JK.
In Beerum Veritas

Lubiere

Post by Lubiere »

Perry, mes condoléances a toi et ta famille.

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Most sorry to hear of your loss, Perry.

I always wondered about the origin of the brewery name.

Was the intention to commemorate beers of Irish and Scots styles? Or rather (as your e-mail seems to suggest) is there a heritage in the family that inspired the name? In the U.S., the Scots-Irish or "Scotch-Irish" often refers to people who came from what is now Northern Ireland but originally were Scots or English Protestants who went to Ulster under English protection. Indeed the terms are used more loosely today but originally in the U.S. that is what they meant.

I am enjoying the Tsarina a lot and I find that it improves with each passing week. I keep mine at ambient temperature and it seems just fine.

Kind regards

Gary

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

old faithful wrote: In the U.S., the Scots-Irish or "Scotch-Irish" often refers to people who came from what is now Northern Ireland but originally were Scots or English Protestants who went to Ulster under English protection.
Well family origins are interesting because looking back at them reminds us we are all just part of an untraceably long succession of people who've come and gone; we here just for a time.

Incidentally own family is Pringle (ours also Irish of Scots origin.) Hopefully our clans got along.
In Beerum Veritas

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

The brewery name comes reflects the ancestry of the two founding partners, Jamie McDonell (Highland Scot) and myself (Black Irish from Connemara, Ireland). The religious part in this case is all wrong as we are both Catholic. I have been shut out of many bars in Ottawa (the Irish ones) because of the religious confusion! :roll:
The Sgt. Major name comes from my Grand-Father, a regimental Sgt. Major in the World War 2.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

Shiner

Post by Shiner »

I am so sorry for you and your family's loss Perry.

Andrew

old faithful
Bar Fly

Post by old faithful »

Thanks Perry, and again our sincerest condolences at this time.

I wonder how many Canadians today know what a RSM is. That was a significant OR (Other Ranks) in fact the highest one: your grandfather must have been a great soldier.

My late father was a private in the Black Watch (RHR) in Montreal, one of the few Jewish soldiers in that regiment. (Jews were well represented in Canada's armed forces in the Second War but spread throughout the various services). He had enlisted in the armoury on Bleury Street and trained at Farnham. He was very young and the war ended before he was scheduled to be sent overseas, fortunately for him.

Gary

HogTownHarry

Post by HogTownHarry »

quote: "I wonder how many Canadians today know what a RSM is"

You ... I .... oh!