Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

CRAFT Beer Market - Toronto

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I walk by it almost every day. Still looks like there is a fair bit of work to do. I could see evidence of tap handles this morning though, so they must be getting there!

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

Their twitter says that they "officially open this Wednesday, December 6".

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

There may be a soft opening before that too, not sure. There have been private events in there this week. Looks like it's all set to go.

TwoPint

Post by TwoPint »

The menus are up. 14-ounce pours with the cheapest being $6.75.
http://craftbeermarket.ca/toronto/fresh-beer

Cask

Post by Cask »

Including $6.75 for 14 oz of Bud Light. Bring it on!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I've had good experiences at the Edmonton and Ottawa CRAFTs, and the T.O. location is very convenient for me, so I plan to visit soon. Disappointed to see them offering macros, but the rest of the tap lineup looks promising.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I went last night. Very busy for a Monday night! Supposedly a 40 minute wait for a table at about 6:40pm. Bar seating, if you could find it (I did), was right away.

Someone stopped me as I was walking around the bar to some empty seats. He noticed my Redline t-shirt and asked if I worked for them. "Nope. Just a fan." Turns out he was the manager of the bar. Very friendly and enthusiastic about bringing good beer in. I recommended Redline's Leather Interior.

I don't necessarily mind a bar going the Loose Moose route of having some macros on tap if half or more (more in this case) of the taps are craft. They have a few beers I've never seen elsewhere yet. Their collaboration brew with Wellington, Banana Split stout, needed more banana and was dominated by the typical roasty chocolate etc characteristics of stouts. That gave me an idea to make a banana white stout sometime.

The Granville Island Lions Winter Ale came out yellow instead of it's usual dark brown colour. The bartender assured me the keg was correct and double checked it. Must have been mislabelled at the brewery. I drank it regardless though I have no idea what the beer was.

Food was okay. Not outstanding, not crappy. Given the location, prices are what they are.

Bar service was friendly.

My one criticism is the music level. It's loud. A notch or two lower would be better. I understand, though still don't support, having things loud on Friday and Saturday, but on a Monday?

I'll be back.
lister

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

I tried going in for a quick drink last Friday night after work. There was a ten person deep line up to TALK to the person about maybe getting a seat. I didn't stick around. In fairness i tried Batch and 3 Brasseurs on the way to my movie with similar results. I guess I should have known better for a Friday night before Christmas! Will try to visit again at some point.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Reviving an old thread.

Craft has become our go to place downtown when we are taking in a show, especially if we have our 7-year old daughter with us. Food is always decent or better. Beer selection is extensive with more than enough, ahem, craft offerings. Service is consistently good. Kids menu is a major bonus (all items $8). Daughter loves the place and always asks if we can go when we are downtown.

One thing they could improve is having better visibility on their rotating taps. You have to ask the server. Not sure why they don't have it up on the big chalkboard at the back on the main floor.

Not a drop-in place at lunch during the week or after work lets out. You need to make a reservation which can be done online easily. Weekend afternoons you can usually just walk in.

Definitely prefer this place to the other office crowd pubs downtown (3 Brewers, King Taps).

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

I agree except for one big issue, which is the noise level. It's bad enough the tunes are often cranked, but then they have all those screens with adult age children being paid to play children's games on them and the moronic announcers blithering away, sometime two or three different games at he same time cranking out inanities. It's seems to be the corporate policy to be a bro bar, because I've seen the exact same thing in their Western Canada locations.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

I was there for a while at about 1:00PM Saturday and it was virtually packed on the lower level. Conversely, Beer Bistro was virtually empty when I walked by five minutes earlier, so I think some damage is being done. Craft Beer Market is a loud place, not just from the music. Voices seem to resonate in that space. Anyway, I enjoyed the experience.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

It’s very loud in there when it’s busy, food was ok...service was not the best for a party of 8...they add the gratuity but the service got worse...beer selection was great for Toronto macro drinkers in my party were happy as was I with the craft.. good addition to the scene
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...