Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Witchstock 2018

Post details, reviews and recaps of interesting beer events in Ontario and elsewhere here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

This is a shot in the dark, but i recently just found out i won't be able to make the earlier session. does anyone who got an evening session want/need to swap? I got 4 tix.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:... pricing and reaction to it is emblematic of a huge sea change in our scene over the past 15 years.... the new higher price points stick in your craw a little.
It's a case of be careful what you wish for. Which we got.

We really wanted more than 1 or 2 pale ales in the province, and we now have 1.000 Vermont IPAs and Hopped Sours and Berliners and Saisons, the whole gamut. It's stunning but there's a cost. The past week at Stone City, two small trips I spent <> $90 on not very many pours and bottles of stuff, a few were just OK yet most very good & no frugal deals in sight. Love that Party Bus Pale though, had to get more.

Even the laughable SCA 'pints' of session mild are like 14 oz (why even bother shape it like a pint glass?) and I was really thinking how on earth did a low-ABV session style pour get so stingy at over 8 bucks with T&T? (Elder Statesman, so delicious with added Earl Grey and Lemon.)

I suspect drinking has changed and some of us may drink less - some of the simpler styles will really suffer because session drinking will gradually be replaced by novelty-seeking. That's public demand and the response. We have a consumer culture that pegs all prices up and never looks back, barring economic crises.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

All good points. A big pet peeve of mine are those ridiculous miniature Nonic "pint" glasses that are really only 14 ounces or so. Do they think I am an idiot and am going to be fooled somehow? Very insulting to our intelligence. I was quite disappointed when otherwise top flight beer bars adopted these. /rant

nudniq

Post by nudniq »

Hi, I have 1 evening session ticket for sale (made vacation plans for those dates). Willing to sell for $100 all in if anyone is interested.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

jeremyg wrote:This is a shot in the dark, but i recently just found out i won't be able to make the earlier session. does anyone who got an evening session want/need to swap?
so thankfully i was allowed to transfer my one ticket to an evening session, but unfortunately due to the website issues accidently bought a second ticket which they won't reimburse me for. it is what it is, i guess. anyways, if anyone wants to buy a ticket to the early session let me know, i'd happily sell it to you for $130 (cheaper!) which would save me burning the $140whatever it was and someone gets a cheaper ticket! Win win!

Let me know

nudniq

Post by nudniq »

nudniq wrote:Hi, I have 1 evening session ticket for sale (made vacation plans for those dates). Willing to sell for $100 all in if anyone is interested.
Price drop to $75

Ticket sold.
Last edited by nudniq on Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

midlife crisis wrote:A big pet peeve of mine are those ridiculous miniature Nonic "pint" glasses that are really only 14 ounces or so. Do they think I am an idiot and am going to be fooled somehow? Very insulting to our intelligence. I was quite disappointed when otherwise top flight beer bars adopted these. /rant
'Welcome to Ontario. You're automatically wrong, so don't point out the glaring faults of any business.'
In Beerum Veritas

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

So, the list of beers is out for out of province stuff. I assume everyone will be lined up for some Fou’.

I’m going to have to do some heavy planning. Lots of interesting stuff here!

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Stellar list. Hopefully they release a more detailed list before the event.

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

jeremyg wrote:
jeremyg wrote:This is a shot in the dark, but i recently just found out i won't be able to make the earlier session. does anyone who got an evening session want/need to swap?
so thankfully i was allowed to transfer my one ticket to an evening session, but unfortunately due to the website issues accidently bought a second ticket which they won't reimburse me for. it is what it is, i guess. anyways, if anyone wants to buy a ticket to the early session let me know, i'd happily sell it to you for $130 (cheaper!) which would save me burning the $140whatever it was and someone gets a cheaper ticket! Win win!

Let me know
CMON!

jeremyg

Post by jeremyg »

Willing to sell for $100!

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

More details in a new blog post, including a detailed beer list.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

I have an extra ticket for session 2 well below face value if anyone is interested.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Great time at Session 1. 46 beers tasted including every Cantillon. The start was a gong show in the Ontario "line up" but after that it was very well managed.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Agreed. Only complaint was the hog pen before the rest of the festival opened up. That was brutal.

The Carignan was worth the price of admission alone. Couldn’t help but go back a couple times for it. Other highlights were J Wakefield Miami Madness and The Veil Dirt Nap3 which may be the best IPA I have had all year.