Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Okocim Porter @ LCBO

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

GregClow wrote:
beanmedic wrote:apparently sammy like to browse bartowel.com naked.
OK, that's an image I did not need in my head while eating my breakfast... :o
(Apparently GregClow is already thinking about beer at brekkie time. :D Tried the Miill Street Balzac's Coffee Porter with your eggs & toast yet?)

Well, Sammy, better to browse the web naked than browse retail stores au naturel. Last thing you want to forget is your pants especially if they contain your wallet.
In Beerum Veritas

beanmedic

Post by beanmedic »

Belgian wrote:
GregClow wrote:
beanmedic wrote:apparently sammy like to browse bartowel.com naked.
OK, that's an image I did not need in my head while eating my breakfast... :o
(Apparently GregClow is already thinking about beer at brekkie time. :D Tried the Miill Street Balzac's Coffee Porter with your eggs & toast yet?)

Well, Sammy, better to browse the web naked than browse retail stores au naturel. Last thing you want to forget is your pants especially if they contain your wallet.
what if they dont? :o

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

beanmedic wrote: what if they dont? :o
Well, can also wear a terry bathrobe I guess. Not forgetting to tie it at the waist, of course. Be sure to accessorize with canvas sneakers (no socks) and 2 days' stubble if wishing to attempt this look.

Is the bathrobe has no pockets, duct tape the wallet to an accessible body area (to be exposed only to the cashier shortly before arrest.)

Oh, and the Porter in question is pretty good I find, a great value and well worth getting dressed for and leaving the house any day. A little bt 'fat' (I can see ageing it to make it less sweet) but very nice complexity and good solid body, and (to be rather base) the alcohol-per-dollar is half as much as La Terrible... I'd still take the Sinha Stout above most porters and stouts, though, it's great.
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Bad news, folks - the Okocim Porter has been tagged with the dreaded PRODUCT DISCONTINUED tag on the LCBO website. There are still lots of bottles out in the system, but it looks like that'll be the last we see, so stock up while you can... :cry:

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Oh, that's a drag. I was quite enjoying the Okocim Porter. How unfortunately typical. Thanks for the heads-up.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Oh well, sorry Poland.

If they do that with Snha stout I'll buy every case in the system. THAT is one hell of a deal.
In Beerum Veritas

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

The Okocim is not a bad deal either, at $2.40 for a 500 ml bottle. Bought a bunch at Dufferin/Wilson tonight.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A good question is, with the Porter still in the system - will it keep for a number of years if it has been kept dark and cool? It seems like a densely structured beer by the taste of it, so what if those interested were to simply stock up for the time being?

If it were a favorite of mine I'd seek unopened cases to squirrel away right now.
In Beerum Veritas

GregClow
Beer Superstar

Post by GregClow »

Belgian wrote:A good question is, with the Porter still in the system - will it keep for a number of years if it has been kept dark and cool? It seems like a densely structured beer by the taste of it, so what if those interested were to simply stock up for the time being?
I had a 1996 bottle of Koff Porter, which is also a Baltic Porter (7.2%), back in 2004 and it was fantastic. I suspect that the Okocim Porter (8.3%) would hold up just as well. I'm considering picking up at least a few bottles to set aside.