Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

lagerale

Post by lagerale »

Had the Harvest Ale last night....tasted the same as last year unfortunately.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

lagerale wrote:Had the Harvest Ale last night....tasted the same as last year unfortunately.
That's too bad, but thanks for confirming. I'll probably still buy one just because, but it sucks when a beer you've enjoyed goes through such a drastic formula change.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

BeerIsGood wrote: It's a small sample size, but I noticed that on BA number 6 is rated significantly lower than the previous five. I think it's a matter of expectations, mine included. it's a very nice beer, but certainly subtler than its predecessors. I don't think people were expecting (or wanting?) subtle.
I agree about the expectations part, but to be honest I didn't find it that subtle. I expected a peach-infused juicy-hazy IPA, and that's exactly what this beer is. The fresh peach aromas were absolutely jumping out of the glass. The taste followed with very low bitterness and a juicy-zesty mouthfeel. Consider me sold. Perhaps the divergent reviews have to do with inconsistency / QC issues, but my can was tasty.
seangm wrote: That's too bad, but thanks for confirming. I'll probably still buy one just because, but it sucks when a beer you've enjoyed goes through such a drastic formula change.
With all due respect, why would you buy one if you know it's going to be shit? I too am not feeling the recipe change (couldn't even finish last year's can), so I won't be giving Muskoka my money if it's the exact same beer. Doesn't make sense to reward a brewery for taking a formerly great beer and turning it into an undrinkable mess. My two cents, anyway.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

It sounds like there's a lot of variation in the No 6 IPA because I certainly didn't get the flavour profile that cratez described. The one I drank last night reminded me of a dry Bellwoods IPA with a bit of a tang to it. Hard to discern much peach, and I've been working my way through a basket of niagaras this past week.

Been drinking some Hitachino beers recently, and most have them have been moderately fresh. A couple stores in Markham carry them in quantity. Nipponia and Espresso Stout were the picks of the bunch.

portwood

Post by portwood »

cratez wrote:With all due respect, why would you buy one if you know it's going to be shit?
tic
@markhamwhisky

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

cratez wrote:With all due respect, why would you buy one if you know it's going to be shit? I too am not feeling the recipe change (couldn't even finish last year's can), so I won't be giving Muskoka my money if it's the exact same beer. Doesn't make sense to reward a brewery for taking a formerly great beer and turning it into an undrinkable mess. My two cents, anyway.
I was planning on emailing Muskoka regarding my disappointment in the formula change, so I figured I'd at least have a can fresh in my mind when I sent the message. Maybe not necessary, but one can is certainly a lot less money that they'll get compared to previous years when I bought over a dozen.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

seangm wrote: I was planning on emailing Muskoka regarding my disappointment in the formula change, so I figured I'd at least have a can fresh in my mind when I sent the message. Maybe not necessary, but one can is certainly a lot less money that they'll get compared to previous years when I bought over a dozen.
E-mailing them is a great idea. It baffles my mind that they took one of their best beers and completely ruined it. I know it wasn't just my one can as most of the reviews for the 2017 version expressed disappointment. Thankfully there's some good alternatives from Amsterdam and Nickel Brook to satisfy my harvest ale / wet hop fix, and I'm looking forward to trying the Wet Hop Wheat from Collective Arts. Collingwood's Vintage Ale isn't too bad either, though it drinks more like an English Strong Ale than an APA.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

De Ranke Simplex — Grassy malt, herbal Euro hops (lots of them). Reminds me of a cross between Pilsner Urquell on steroids and Chimay Gold. Firm herbal bitter bite which lingers in the mouth. Frothy bubbles, quenching and keeps me wanting more. Bottled Dec 2017 but drinking very well right now (2 year shelf life).

It's been while since I've had anything really bitter but this one exploded my taste buds. Ranks 96 in the Belgian Ale category on RB. Well deserved and available at LCBO.com for $5.15.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Cuvée Sœur’ise from Brouwerij De Leite. Exceptional.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

cratez wrote:
seangm wrote: I was planning on emailing Muskoka regarding my disappointment in the formula change, so I figured I'd at least have a can fresh in my mind when I sent the message. Maybe not necessary, but one can is certainly a lot less money that they'll get compared to previous years when I bought over a dozen.
E-mailing them is a great idea. It baffles my mind that they took one of their best beers and completely ruined it. I know it wasn't just my one can as most of the reviews for the 2017 version expressed disappointment. Thankfully there's some good alternatives from Amsterdam and Nickel Brook to satisfy my harvest ale / wet hop fix, and I'm looking forward to trying the Wet Hop Wheat from Collective Arts. Collingwood's Vintage Ale isn't too bad either, though it drinks more like an English Strong Ale than an APA.
I meant to last year, so definitely not going to let it slip again. Agreed on the other harvest ales, there are some good choices out there. I was mixed on the honey addition to Collingwood's Vintage Ale, but I liked it enough to try again.

beerhaver

Post by beerhaver »

I had a Muskoka Harvest Ale and thought it tasted more like the older one, though probably less malty. I didn't taste the fruity yeast thing I did last year, it was more earthy/grassy like it used to be.
Maybe some batch to batch variation, or it could be those tastes dissipated by the time I drank it.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

BeerIsGood wrote:Cuvée Sœur’ise from Brouwerij De Leite. Exceptional.
that beer is so good :wink:

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:Haand Buukk
I remember Aass Bock was also a bold-tasting Dunker Bock. Similarly Scandinavian.
It's a great full-tating ale, just having one in a minute. Bready, dark-dry fruit, as good as any German iteration.
Belgian wrote:Stone City Ales Party Bus IPA - a superior quaff with major hop character, not just citrus but mint and rooty herbals
Having one of those right now Belgian. Cheers!
In Beerum Veritas

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

JaseWescott wrote:
BeerIsGood wrote:Cuvée Sœur’ise from Brouwerij De Leite. Exceptional.
that beer is so good :wink:
Ditto. I don't even blink at the 5 bucks a bottle. Considerably better than the Kriek des Jacobins that was here earlier this year.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Sam Adams Fresh As Helles
Definitely not my favorite SA brew - why sneak in the orange peel citrus - but it's drinkable.

Also killed my last Deschutes Fresh Squeezed IPA, very nice malty IPA style you don't see that much now.
In Beerum Veritas