Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I've had KBS bottles that were a couple of years old and they were fine. I imagine CBS would too.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

BakaGaijin wrote:CBS comin to LCBO in December in 355ml bottles priced around $9 - as per LCBO.
355? Is that a typo?

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

TheSevenDuffs wrote:
BakaGaijin wrote:CBS comin to LCBO in December in 355ml bottles priced around $9 - as per LCBO.
355? Is that a typo?
No, Canada gets 12 oz bottles.

portwood

Post by portwood »

JaseWescott wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
355? Is that a typo?
Prefer the 12oz bottles, especially for high octane beer. However, given the recent employment/equity "issues" Founders have been mired in, think I'll pass on buying any more of their offerings.
@markhamwhisky

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

portwood wrote:Prefer the 12oz bottles, especially for high octane beer. However, given the recent employment/equity "issues" Founders have been mired in, think I'll pass on buying any more of their offerings.
I had All Day IPA recently. I can smell the Amarillo hops a mile away! I rather have a Boneshaker. I did appreciate the 568 ml can it came in.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

portwood wrote:
Prefer the 12oz bottles, especially for high octane beer. However, given the recent employment/equity "issues" Founders have been mired in, think I'll pass on buying any more of their offerings.[/quote]

I had to Google what you were referring to and, yeah, that sounds pretty, well, racist...think I too will pass on them until
They sort that one out.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

I did that quote wrong but you get the idea.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

darmokandjalad

Post by darmokandjalad »

Just read an article about that Founders controversy. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

I think maybe I'm just going to stop buying American beer for a while. They need to get their shit together down there and I don't want my money supporting racists. Or people who may have voted for a racist.

Maybe I'll make an exception for beers from CA and the rest of the left coast.

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

JaseWescott wrote:
TheSevenDuffs wrote:
355? Is that a typo?
I should have been more specific. I meant to say that small bottles are 341, whereas cans are 355. So I think it is a typo/mistake on your part but no big deal :)

TheSevenDuffs
Beer Superstar

Post by TheSevenDuffs »

Craig wrote:I've had KBS bottles that were a couple of years old and they were fine. I imagine CBS would too.
I've had KBS that was 5 years old that tasted great.

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

darmokandjalad wrote:Just read an article about that Founders controversy. Left a bad taste in my mouth.

I think maybe I'm just going to stop buying American beer for a while. They need to get their shit together down there and I don't want my money supporting racists. Or people who may have voted for a racist.

Maybe I'll make an exception for beers from CA and the rest of the left coast.
So you take one sour employee's word (who was fired I guess and plays the typical race card because if you're not white you can't be canned) over the brewery? Like everyone that worked there was racist? Give me a break. Guilty until proven innocent in the beer world now too I guess. Or maybe there is something else I'm missing here about controversy.

It sucks how political even fucking beer has seem to become now. I think we can thank soft-ass millennial Vice-lovers for this kind of stuff if you ask me. Lol Nickel Brook.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

I'd wait for a legal resolution before making any assumptions that Founders Brewing is unprincipled in human concerns.

For one thing the company clearly hire people of diverse backgrounds, or this firing could never have happened. Maybe they are indeed planning to replace discriminatory employees who were a problem, when possible & without disrupting the whole company. Maybe the plaintiff was also a problem employee in other ways & also prone to being disruptive. It's possible everything Founders is doing is reasonable.

I'd really give Founders a chance to clarify and take any further steps.

It's called a right to a defense. Pretty insane to just jump on the Identity Politics bandwagon & boycott a company without hearing everyone out.
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Blasphomet wrote:So you take one sour employee's word (who was fired I guess and plays the typical race card because if you're not white you can't be canned) over the brewery? Like everyone that worked there was racist? Give me a break. Guilty until proven innocent in the beer world now too I guess. Or maybe there is something else I'm missing here about controversy.

It sucks how political even fucking beer has seem to become now. I think we can thank soft-ass millennial Vice-lovers for this kind of stuff if you ask me. Lol Nickel Brook.
That's the beauty of being a consumer in a free society - everyone is free to do with their money whatever they bloody well please.

Us snowflakes and soft-ass millennial vice-lovers can decide not to buy products from companies we think are less than ethical, while you enlightened, innocent until proven guilty (unless you happen not to be able to afford a high powered lawyer to defend you against well funded corporate interests), status quo lovers, can spend your money on same said companies .... to stick it to the libs and all ... live and let live like in the good ol days before the millennials ruined the world :roll:
@markhamwhisky

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

portwood wrote:[(we) can decide not to buy products from companies we think are less than ethical...
And you don't even have to debate your reasons, I respect that.

But if you cared to explain, what would those be?
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

portwood wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:So you take one sour employee's word (who was fired I guess and plays the typical race card because if you're not white you can't be canned) over the brewery? Like everyone that worked there was racist? Give me a break. Guilty until proven innocent in the beer world now too I guess. Or maybe there is something else I'm missing here about controversy.

That's the beauty of being a consumer in a free society - everyone is free to do with their money whatever they bloody well please.

Us snowflakes and soft-ass millennial vice-lovers can decide not to buy products from companies we think are less than ethical, while you enlightened, innocent until proven guilty (unless you happen not to be able to afford a high powered lawyer to defend you against well funded corporate interests), status quo lovers, can spend your money on same said companies .... to stick it to the libs and all ... live and let live like in the good ol days before the millennials ruined the world :roll:
"ONE GUY WAS FIRED AND CRIED RACIST! A POX UPON FOUNDER!" Sounds like an informed decision.

And I never said snowflake. I don't like to use millennial buzzwords. They haven't ruined it yet, because they haven't taken it over yet. Should be LOL once they do! But you're right, we can choose what we buy and what we don't. I've purchased a lot less Nickel Brook since they can change(s) for bowing to pressure. I wonder if the complainers have purchased more. Highly doubtful.