Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Worst Ontario Craft Breweries

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Definitely file Trafalgar and Old Credit under the "how do they still exist?" category. Overall though I feel there's just so much middling, unremarkable beer in Ontario. Whether it's the trend chasers looking to capitalize on something popular, or the run-of-the-mill small town breweries catering to a captive market, I've had a lot of mediocre beers. Thing is, a lot aren't necessarily bad, but do little to make me want to buy them again. I'm sure it's the case with most markets though, but I've tried far more beers from Ontario for obvious reasons so it skews the average downwards.

I suppose there's still a large majority of drinkers who've moved to craft, but still prefer very safe styles or just don't care about the beer as much as the ambiance/community aspect of local breweries. It's tricky to list the worst because with a few exceptions, even my least favoured breweries make rather enjoyable beers from time to time.

The constant need for new, boundary pushing flavours for the trend chasing ticker crowds has changed the dynamic a bit now too. Breweries that I love have put out some of the most vile (to me, I know, subjectivity) beers I've ever had because of this seeming one-upmanship of extreme flavour combinations. Hence why it's again tricky, because with exception of a few categorically and objectively bad breweries, I've had beers I loathe to beers I love from almost every place I've tried. There are also a few where I've only had a couple beers, so it'd be unfair to make a sweeping judgement until I try more- the Golden Ale from Norse Brewery I tried a while back was truly awful, but it's all I've had from them.

That said, I could easily list a number of my least favourite beers from Ontario.

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

I’ll bite ...Brock st...terrible macro themed offerings playing up the local angle, but truly unremarkable beer. falcon brewing in Ajax as well ...just not good stuff
I could go on...but I’ll wait to see others opinions
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Isn't Brock St. owned by a group of rich-ass doctors and lawyers or something? And haven't they already sold out?

I went in to Brock once on a Sunday, looking for some stout they had with some kind of pepper in it. Didn't see it in the fridge so I asked the guy at the counter if there was any left and he snobbily laughed at me and was like "No, sold out in like 3 hours". I looked at him and left, just thinking "lol dude I get it, you're so popular. I also understand craft beer, ya dork". Left a really bad taste in my mouth (more so than the beer itself). Have never gone back for their boring as fuck beer. This was a couple years ago. I won't go to the new restaurant either and have no issue voicing my displeasure with them and hoping work spreads. I hate that kind of shit.

Totally worth avoiding if you come to Durham for craft beer. Just hit 5 Paddles, Little Beasts, Chronicle, Manantler, and Town.

And I second the Falcon Brewing. Totally bleh. I was wholly unimpressed the first couple times I went, and also haven't been back. I guess there hasn't been much improvement in that time.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

distr0 wrote: To continue the conversation, everything made in Brantford is bad
Steel Wheel was actually pretty decent on my one visit.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I have had lots of stuff I haven’t cared for either because it was mediocre, boring, not to style, etc. I can only think of one brewery from which the beer I had was utter garbage. They don’t exist anymore. Practically Irish from Pickering. I’m not surprised they didn’t last very long. The beer I had tasted like a poorly made home brew kit. I swear I could taste the bathtub in my glass.

Like others, I doubt I’d buy any more from Brock Street. The continued existence of Old Credit boggles my mind.

If I’m honest, I’d say that if I never had another glass of beer from 80% of Ontario breweries I wouldn’t complain. Over the last couple of years, I’ve tended to stick to 6-8 local breweries for 95% of the local stuff I drink.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

JerCraigs wrote:
I had one beer on tap there which was alright (a kettle sour). The 3 or 4 bottles i got from them were all bad. Zero aroma, nearly zero carbonation, and tasted like un-femented wort.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I find Railway City consistently disappointing. The latest was the Creamsic Ale which was simply not what it claimed to be. Witty Traveller and Dead Elephant are also to be avoided IMO.

Urotsukidoji

Post by Urotsukidoji »

I just posted this in its own thread, nothing else is this bad

http://www.bartowel.com/forum/viewtopic ... 20&t=10991

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

distr0 wrote:
JerCraigs wrote:
I had one beer on tap there which was alright (a kettle sour). The 3 or 4 bottles i got from them were all bad. Zero aroma, nearly zero carbonation, and tasted like un-femented wort.
that's too bad :(
Last edited by JerCraigs on Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Anyone have opinions on Orange Snail in Milton?
I only ever had one of their beers and it was terrible....no desire to try any others...unless it was just bad luck on my part.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

El Pinguino wrote:Anyone have opinions on Orange Snail in Milton?
I only ever had one of their beers and it was terrible....no desire to try any others...unless it was just bad luck on my part.

I’ve had their Pale ale once. Not bad, but definitely not good.....just, there. I’d likely never buy it again, but I’d drink it if I was offered it by someone.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Coronaeus wrote:If I’m honest, I’d say that if I never had another glass of beer from 80% of Ontario breweries I wouldn’t complain. Over the last couple of years, I’ve tended to stick to 6-8 local breweries for 95% of the local stuff I drink.
This I definitely agree with. A large number of local breweries aren't necessarily terrible, but leave me wondering why I'd buy more of their beer as opposed to a much better example of the style from the province's best breweries. I still like to try new stuff that pops up because every once in a while I find a gem, but for the most part it's one and done.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

I was wrong about Innocente, they are actually my favorite in KW now
Last edited by duckdown on Sat Jun 03, 2023 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

duckdown wrote:Great thread.

I’ll be a frequent contributor once I think of some stuff

Can we start with Innocente in KW?

I gave them several chances, drank there in person a few times, tried to like them because they are my fellow Italians but man the beers are just so boring and uninspired, IMO. A steady “average” across the board

Descendants same thing from what I’ve tried although I heard it’s a great place to actually hang out and drink, good vibes
100% agree with both these statements.
I’ll throw Fixed Gear in Guelph in here. And Brothers(Guelph) as well.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
duckdown wrote:Great thread.

I’ll be a frequent contributor once I think of some stuff

Can we start with Innocente in KW?

I gave them several chances, drank there in person a few times, tried to like them because they are my fellow Italians but man the beers are just so boring and uninspired, IMO. A steady “average” across the board

Descendants same thing from what I’ve tried although I heard it’s a great place to actually hang out and drink, good vibes
100% agree with both these statements.
I’ll throw Fixed Gear in Guelph in here. And Brothers(Guelph) as well.
Double agreed, Fixed Gear is another one. Tried several and even have one of their cherry sours in the fridge I’m still waiting to dump on a needy neighbour when we can drink together again