Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the week at home:
Amsterdam Autumn Hop
Fuller's Imperial Stout
Bellwoods Bine Hunter 2018 - Comet
Der Hirschbräu Höss Doppel-Hirsch
Nickel Brook Lost In Orbit Session IPA
Clifford Porter
Bellwoods & Other Half Mylarshark

IMO the Autumn Hop is still drinking well with a nice leafy, woody, and grassy hop character. I wasn't getting any sweet grainy malt, though the aroma does have a bit of a grapey-raisiny quality. Some pine and orange add complexity. The Bine Hunter is also very good with unique aromas like strawberry and rose petal, a big juicy mouthfeel, and more traditional APA notes of nectarine. To me the Autumn Hop has the slight edge, but both beers are lovely.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Came across a Beatrix Baltic Porter from GLB sitting in my fridge. It's brewed with coffee and cocoa nibs and damn it was good, one of the better dark offerings I've had from them in a while. Lots of fudgey chocolate, some woody char, dark fruits and a liquorice/anise note. And of course there was a nice hit of coffee that lingered on the finish. Great stuff.

Rouge River Barrel Aged Apricot Sour (2018 edition) - This one was quite nice, if not very puckering. Acetic, citric sourness with big notes of apricot and stone fruits. A bit of woody barrel notes come through along with a touch of earthy funk. Vinous like quality on the nose, very nice overall.

Left Field Bricks and Mortar Coffee Porter - Always happy to see this one back, and it's in cans now like most of their lineup. The more approachable price point is nice, I stocked up since it's a great dark beer go-to. Nice roasted malt profile with a big hit of fresh coffee. Solid stuff.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Over the last couple of days.

Fuller's Vintage Ale 2018
Fuller's Imperial Stout
Crooked Stave St. Bretta Late Spring

and currently, IPA #7 from Collective Arts. For me personally, this is back on track after a not disappointing, but completely unexpected, IPA #6

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

BeerIsGood wrote:Over the last couple of days.

Fuller's Vintage Ale 2018
Fuller's Imperial Stout
Crooked Stave St. Bretta Late Spring

and currently, IPA #7 from Collective Arts. For me personally, this is back on track after a not disappointing, but completely unexpected, IPA #6

The IPA 7 is delicious, the Nelson hops seems to be a bit blown away by the Citra though.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

GtownRandy wrote:I have been loving the bigrig alpha bomb lately, available now at lcbo and also grocery stores. I tried it a couple of times months ago and was disappointed. Maybe they were old cans? But the current batch of sept 18 is hazy hoppy and bitter, with grapefruit tastes. At $2.95 for a 6.6%, 84ibu ipa its a good value.

Based on this reco I picked a couple cans up at the grocery store. Your absolutely right, tastes much different than when I’d tried it before. Hazy and fruit forward, almost neipa style, but with a west coast finish. Good value as well. I’ll buy this on a regular basis at the grocery store, if it keeps tasting like this. Cheers

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Currently on a work trip in Montreal. Had the following so far:

At Pub BreWskey:
Pub BreWskey Pearl Harvest - Wet Hop Pale Ale (draft)
Pub BreWskey P-Nut Buster - Sweet/Milk Stout (draft)
Pub BreWskey Newgrounds #5 Galaxy - NE IPA (draft)

At Benelux Rue Sherbrooke:
Benelux San Lupulo - American Pale Ale (draft)
Benelux Portergeist - London Brown Porter (draft)
Benelux Topaz - West Coast IPA (draft)

At Pub Pit Caribou (Montreal):
Pit Caribou Session IPA de Lesseps (draft)
Pit Caribou Sticke Alt Fumée - Altbier (draft)
Pit Caribou IPA Américaine des Appalaches (draft)

At Dieu du Ciel! Brouepub:
Dieu du Ciel! Sentinelle - Kolsch (draft)
Dieu du Ciel! Tonnerre - Azacca Single Hop Pale Ale (draft)
Dieu du Ciel! Libre-échange - Foreign Export Stout (draft)
Dieu du Ciel! El Dorado - Spelt Beer w/ El Dorado Hops (draft)
Dieu du Ciel! Dieu du Ciel! Symbiose No. 01 / 2012 (sample)

Thinking of hitting Isle de Garde tonight, as I've heard good things but have never been before.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

cratez wrote:Currently on a work trip in Montreal. Had the following so far...
Nice! I don't think I've been to the Caribou. So much stuff. I believe I'm due for a trip there again...

It's a bit of a drive and you need a place to stay a few days, but it's all worth it. We have one of the cultural gems in Montreal.
In Beerum Veritas

mgmoney

Post by mgmoney »

I always get dragged to Brasserie Harricana by work colleagues...not the best
Everytime I learn something new I forget something old...like that time I learned to make wine and then forgot how to drive...

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Rounding out my time in Montreal and Ottawa:

At Isle de Garde Brasserie:
Isle de Garde Bitter Ordinaire (draft)
Isle de Garde Une Saison (draft)
Isle de Garde IPA Américaine (draft)
Isle de Garde English Brown Ale (draft)
Isle de Garde Stout à l'Avoine (draft)

At Vices et Versa:
Les Trois Mousquetaires Oktoberfest (draft)

At Brothers Beer Bistro:
Ashton Vanilla Stout (nitro)
Stone City Ales Rathlin Gael (draft)

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Beau's Farm Table ESB — Actually a really great ESB with deep layers of fruity malty goodness. Reminded me of the one I had from Yorkshire Square at Cask Days. I'd love to have this on cask. Reasonably priced too.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

beerstodiscover wrote:Beau's Farm Table ESB — Actually a really great ESB with deep layers of fruity malty goodness. Reminded me of the one I had from Yorkshire Square at Cask Days. I'd love to have this on cask. Reasonably priced too.

Good to know, I live a good ESB and feel it under-represented around here. I’ll drink the fuck out of this if it’s decent.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Collective Arts Bourbon Barrel Aged Imperial Porter 2018. The $14.95 per 500ml bottle threw me a little, but I broke down and bought a few. One for now, the rest for aging. Excellent, although perhaps just a shade hot. Will age well I believe.

BlackRedGold

Post by BlackRedGold »

GtownRandy wrote:I have been loving the bigrig alpha bomb lately, available now at lcbo and also grocery stores. I tried it a couple of times months ago and was disappointed. Maybe they were old cans? But the current batch of sept 18 is hazy hoppy and bitter, with grapefruit tastes. At $2.95 for a 6.6%, 84ibu ipa its a good value.
I bought some cans last year from their original brewpub, tried one and returned the rest - tasted old and stale. Tried it on tap this summer at their Kanata brewery and thought it was great. Other than Release the Hounds it was the first time I was impressed by a Big Rig beer. I might have to try it in a can again if I can make sure its fresh.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Tonight, I had a Collective Arts Wet Hop pale ale. I found it lacking in hop flavour compared to other wet hop beers. Recently, I tried the harvest ale from 3 brewers, and I would rate it among the best harvest ales in the province. This is surprising given their core line up.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Surely that beer is a little past prime now? Wet hop beers age especially poorly and the hop harvest was a while ago.