Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Collective Arts

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

Bobsy wrote: One thing that I always make sure to do it check the date code on the bottom of the can. Wherever I go, the codes seem to be either August or October, and the discrepancy between the two could go a long way to explaining some of the variation that people are finding...
I always check the dates on beer that I buy. If a hoppy beer is more than a month since packaging, I don't buy it. Their beer is changing in quality for the worse, unfortunately.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

-Liam- wrote:
I always check the dates on beer that I buy. If a hoppy beer is more than a month since packaging, I don't buy it. Their beer is changing in quality for the worse, unfortunately.
you are right again, Liam
Reliable Beer Critic

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

IPA No. 8 is out

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

JaseWescott wrote:IPA No. 8 is out

WTF? I looked for #7 everywhere and was happy to finally try it just the other day when a friend brought me a couple (and glad he did, it was good). Are they just dedicated to cranking out something new with no intention of reasonable distribution?

Is this just a hipster demand marketing stunt? If so, not interested. I''m not lining up for a phone or other stunt and I'm not driving to Hamilton to a bottle shop, sorry, leave that to the unemployed.

I won`t go dumping on them any further, I could be a result of LCBO issues, but I am disappointed that one of the breweries whose products I have become fond of have gone from being available in my area to scant.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Tapsucker wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:IPA No. 8 is out

WTF? I looked for #7 everywhere and was happy to finally try it just the other day when a friend brought me a couple (and glad he did, it was good). Are they just dedicated to cranking out something new with no intention of reasonable distribution?

Is this just a hipster demand marketing stunt? If so, not interested. I''m not lining up for a phone or other stunt and I'm not driving to Hamilton to a bottle shop, sorry, leave that to the unemployed.

I won`t go dumping on them any further, I could be a result of LCBO issues, but I am disappointed that one of the breweries whose products I have become fond of have gone from being available in my area to scant.
https://collectiveartsbrewing.com/ipa-8/

no idea but I don't think IPA No. 7 is $1.50 better than Ransack The Universe so maybe they know this and just want to get the next one out the door?

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Collective Arts used to be a staple in my fridge, but for whatever reason these past many months, I feel their quality is really slipping while the prices are rising. I buy much, much less CA product now.

I think I'd rather drink a fresh Clutch than any CA IPA these days.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Blasphomet wrote:Collective Arts used to be a staple in my fridge, but for whatever reason these past many months, I feel their quality is really slipping while the prices are rising. I buy much, much less CA product now.

I think I'd rather drink a fresh Clutch than any CA IPA these days.
Ditto for the most part. It's a shame I can't find Clutch that's super fresh at the LCBO though; or at least as fresh as GLB stuff. I also don't think I've ever seen Clutch refrigerated either. Still a great beer though. If only Air Ride was available at the LCBO too!

Collective seems to be a little all-over-the-map lately. IPA number 6 was gross. IPA number 7 was unimpressive and the dollar price hike was not ideal. I don't think it's a stretch to think it hasn't exactly been flying off the shelf. There's simply too many better IPA options for over a dollar less.

From what I can glean from Collective's web presence lately, seems like they're really starting to really branch out. They've been bringing their stuff across the border a lot more lately. Perhaps with all the expansion (not to mention all the cultural stuff they're involved with - music, festivals, et all) they're losing a bit of perspective. Hope this is a bump in the road and they figure it out.

On the bright side, GLB is still knocking it out of the park. Rainhart has released a couple of their great beers in can form. Same with Left Field. Fairweather is arguably already making better beer than CA, and Nicklebrook is doing great stuff lately. I'm in love with the Lost in Orbit session IPA.

This is still the best time ever to be a craft beer drinker in Ontario.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Re: the new #8 DIPA,

I was looking forward to the return of the #5. Expensive but worth it. But maybe this will be pretty decent.

LITC IPA is still a good mini version of the #5 for me. As for general CA quality, I find it pretty good but not all of their beers are that interesting to me. I hesitate to re-try their core brands because 'meh' yet I really respect their intentions, at least relatively often. Hopefully they keep us total geeks happy along with developing their market reach.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Orval_Al wrote:Collective seems to be a little all-over-the-map lately. IPA number 6 was gross. IPA number 7 was unimpressive and the dollar price hike was not ideal. I don't think it's a stretch to think it hasn't exactly been flying off the shelf. There's simply too many better IPA options for over a dollar less.
The CA Project #7 is a pretty tasty IPA for one that emphasizes the tropical fruit note of the hops more than the lemon-dusty and conifer needle funk of some others. There is still some fruit of lemon in there, and some late gentle resiny bitterness following the generally very rounded (sweeter) profile. I'd even say there's some sugary ripe Florida orange aspect to the taste. Not entirely trendy, but good.

Can't comment on the value / price differential VS say Life in The Clouds, but (not being an accountant) I'd only surmise it's the different specialty ingredients and the smaller limited run. I do encourage CA to try new 'Projects' & am always open to tasting them & supporting the ones I really like (and maybe they still make some concessions to frugality.)
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Cool that this is the only unread thread in this forum...

I haven't bought much CA stuff lately and took a chance earlier on what I believe was a Oct. 8th (can't read it right now) can of Life In the Clouds and i find it excellent.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

A funny thing happened. I picked up a couple cans of #7 as a treat from the LCBO. When I was at the checkout, the person kept scanning and re scanning the can. Then tried to type the information in manually. Eventually she looked at me and said "This doesn't seem right. Is this really $4.95? It can't be that expensive"
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I was in Hamilton and did a pit stop here (I usually just do Fairweather and Merit on my annual visit). I grabbed the 6-pack of the 'Origin of Darkness' series, as it was 6 for the price of 5. These are an imperial stout series, each one as a collab with a different international brewery/restaurant, resulting in different adjuncts. I've become a bit jaded about CA lately, so this was a bit of an impulse purchase to share with family over the holidays. Anyone have tasting notes of these? The White Miso (Wild Beer) caught my eye because umami beers are fairly rare.

-Liam-

Post by -Liam- »

Orval_Al wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:...I also don't think I've ever seen Clutch refrigerated either.
It's always in the fridge at Roncesvalles/Bloor LCBO, if you're close to that area.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

-Liam- wrote:
Orval_Al wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:...I also don't think I've ever seen Clutch refrigerated either.
It's always in the fridge at Roncesvalles/Bloor LCBO, if you're close to that area.
Ahhh yes, you're right. Forgot about that. Sadly I live in the Beaches, so not there that often. I do get the glory that is the Coxwell and Queen LCBO though. One of the best in the city for beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Orval_Al wrote:... Sadly I live in the Beaches, so not there that often. I do get the glory that is the Coxwell and Queen LCBO though. One of the best in the city for beer.
Sadly a lot of you are my neighbors suffering though our miserable lives near the Beach (just kidding, it's a great area.) And that store is usually a thing of beauty, considering how badly-served a lot of Toronto LCBO customers are.

I was just ruminating, where is the big fancy LCBO at Bloor and Bathurst? Not a wealthy enough area? For a statist monopoly it sure has limited locations and limits what it sells very unreasonably at locations that would support better. Why is there ONE LCBO on Queen between Coxwell and the DVP, and it is so tiny? Does this service reflect the bookming residential and commercial scene?

Even the Queen Waverley store is a letdown for the expense and the massive size of the property it occupies, the beer selection is pedestrian despite the large room.
In Beerum Veritas