Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

In my experience an Ontario brewed Barley Wine is a relatively rare event, so imagine my surprise when my wife returns from the very small town of Alexandria, Ontario with a few Where The Buffalo Roam from Cameron’s. A favorite style of mine well represented here. One for now, a few to sit.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BeerIsGood wrote:In my experience an Ontario brewed Barley Wine is a relatively rare event, so imagine my surprise when my wife returns from the very small town of Alexandria, Ontario with a few Where The Buffalo Roam from Cameron’s. A favorite style of mine well represented here. One for now, a few to sit.
The new Godspeed FUYU barley wine from the brewpub store is very good, certainly bright and bitter for the style but it actually improves with oxygen over several hours. I liked the second half of the can very much, and it's plenty strong for a $4.75 can of BW!

Now the new MONDAI Kristall IPA, a beautiful lemon -accented pale that us the latest Bim creation in pursuit of masterfully created session ales at Godspeed (and there are a handful I keep on going back to, so this could be one.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At WVRST Union Station:
Burdock Vermont Blond (draft)
Sonnen Hill Whiff (draft)

At Corks:
Cameron's Dark & Sticky India Brown Ale (draft)

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Great Lakes & The Wooly Pub Upon A Dry Hop (draft)
Bellwoods & Cloudwater A Stout We Made With Coffee (draft)
Left Field Disco Demolition Night (draft)
Tooth & Nail Truce 2018 (sample)

Over the last week plus at home:
Trappistes Rochefort 8
Halcyon Barrel House Echo Chamber
Rainhard Dark Fire
St-Ambroise Pale Ale
Loch Lomond Silkie Stout
Wellington Special Pale Ale
Stone Xocoveza Imperial Stout
2018 Mill Street Barley Wine
Belgian wrote: The new Godspeed FUYU barley wine from the brewpub store is very good, certainly bright and bitter for the style but it actually improves with oxygen over several hours. I liked the second half of the can very much, and it's plenty strong for a $4.75 can of BW!
Thanks for the heads up. Will seek this one out. I think we can all agree that it's unreasonably hard to find a good Ontario-made barley wine nowadays. The MS one was a very expensive drain pour, with the whisky/barrel/booze notes overpowering any other discernible traits. Glad to hear Godspeed's take is worthwhile.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Beau's 49° 54° Fogo Island myrrh-smoked gose. Despite scoffing at this a couple times on the shelf, I got one as a gift and it's actually pretty good.

The flavours are mild: wheat beer-ish fruity esters, smoke and salt. It's not tart at all. It's hazy as apricot nectar (once you disrupt the sediment).

The flavours are nice and remind me of what I might encounter on Fogo Island if I ever get the chance to visit.

portwood

Post by portwood »

beerstodiscover wrote:Beau's ... Despite scoffing at this a couple times on the shelf, I got one as a gift and it's actually pretty good.
:lol:
It seems Beau's packaging is rather eye catching and their pricing does a good job enticing non-beer drinkers to gift below average beer to people who wouldn't spend their money on it.

Having received more than a few gifted Beau's in the past I've also found them to be "pretty good". Then again, all free stuff is better than the same stuff paid with my own money....
@markhamwhisky

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Royal City Brewing Company Dubbel.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Motley cru 2018(blueberry). Apparently I didn’t let it selttle upright long enough, because she was a bit of a gusher and I lost an ounce or two. It’s so good, just a great beer to sit down and slowly sip away on. Lovely funky sourness to it, but to be honest I’m not sure I get much/if any blueberry out of it, besides the colour. The base beer is great though. I’ve still got a raspberry one sitting in the fridge that I may crack on NYE. As good as it is....it’s probably my least favourite of the MC lineup I’ve had. Although I missed out on the second one(2014?)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bottle of Samichlaus, it kind of scratches the itch for something like a Barley Wine. Amazing stuff.

Eggenberg now does away with the paper capsule they used to put over the caps, which I guess makes your beer easier to get to.

Aroma: kind of smells like a horse slept on a sack of barley, but kind of a nice clean horse and in a really good way.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At The King Edward Restaurant & Pub:
Neustadt Springs Mill Gap Bitter (cask)
Fuller's Bengal Lancer (draft)
Muskoka Mad Tom IPA (draft)

At Birreria Volo:
Blaugies & Hill Farmstead La Vermontoise (draft)
Crooked Stave Silly Cybies (draft)
Thin Man & Bolton Landing Badger Assassin (draft)

At The Monk's Kettle:
Collective Arts IPA No. 8 (draft)

Over the week at home:
Great Lakes Old Curmudgeon Mild
Lake Of Bays Nightwatcher Oatmeal Stout
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Godspeed IBUSHI Smoked Pilsner

Godspeed YUZU Saison flavoured with exotic citrus.
Didn't know the YUZU was so fanstastic, it's dry and tart with interesting flavors going on. Japanese citrus fruits flavour it.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Evil Twin Chili Hazelnut Biscotti Break
Oddly interesting coffee stout, I think I'd really prefer a Péché Mortél or a Founders (Racist!!!) CBS. Honestly has a bit of a metallic quality at first (can has been in fridge for a while) and maybe that's the chilies - these are evident, with some roasty pepper flavors against the hazelnut and coffee. And vanilla. These guys are funny, sometimes they seem to be making an ironic gesture as much as a serious beer.
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Had a Forked River Weendigo Barrel Age Imperial Stout last night.

Had to fight the wax-covered cap for a while. When I finally got the cap off, it gushed over the counter. At least the beer tasted good.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Godspeed HANABI Smoked Saison
Brasserie Dupont Saison

Both pretty amazing. I like the crisp dryness of the GS, and if course the BD has more roundness and fruit, especially since the bottle is young.

If Dupont says BBD in 2020, that is the time when the beer is just getting interesting. Bottle conditioning preserves it well. The HANABI is clearly not for the cellar.
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Belgian wrote:Godspeed HANABI Smoked Saison
Brasserie Dupont Saison

Both pretty amazing. I like the crisp dryness of the GS, and if course the BD has more roundness and fruit, especially since the bottle is young.

If Dupont says BBD in 2020, that is the time when the beer is just getting interesting. Bottle conditioning preserves it well. The HANABI is clearly not for the cellar.
Always interesting how different comparators can highlight different traits in beers. I also felt compelled to buck my recent trend of drinking wintery stouts with a couple of saisons and cracked a St. Feuillien Saison (BB Sept 2019) and Saison Dupont (BB March 2020) over the weekend; no doubt from the same LCBO batch as your bottle). In relative terms, it was the St. Feuillien that displayed a more round fruitiness (some earthy notes as well) and the Dupont was quite dry and loaded with spicy yeast flavours.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Yes, I notice that Luc (ex of Dieu du Ciel!! & now the master brewer at Godspeed) leans firmly away from excessive richness in his brews, I speculate because of how overdone the sweet Belgian strong / blonde / golden / Saison and even Stout seem to be in Québéc. I mean, it's really really easy to find overly malt-rich beers in that province and I wonder if he got sick of that sweet-tooth tendency LOL.
In Beerum Veritas