Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Cascade Brewing Manhattan NW. A little pricy at over $21 per 750ml bottle but worth the experience. A quad/ blond blend aged in bourbon barrels with cherry and apricot. Exceptionally sour.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BeerIsGood wrote:Cascade Brewing Manhattan NW. A little pricy at over $21 per 750ml bottle but worth the experience. A quad/ blond blend aged in bourbon barrels with cherry and apricot. Exceptionally sour.
Yeah, those are discounted prices for the Apricot and Manhattan, so enjoy that!!

A lot of us paid 6-7 bucks more for these. I actually think the Sang Du Chene was the best of the three so far...
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

* NEW *
Godspeed Irori Peated Scotch Lager (yes, like a Scotch Ale only its not.) Smoky and sticky.

Godspeed Oberkassel Altbier - even better than last year's, with fruity depth and black tea notes venturing into classic British Ale territory.

* NEW *
Godspeed Gokuresama Kölsch Style Ale - absolutely brilliant iteration of the style, should embarrass the German versions.

All good stuff currently available at the brew pub store.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Belgian wrote:
BeerIsGood wrote:Cascade Brewing Manhattan NW. A little pricy at over $21 per 750ml bottle but worth the experience. A quad/ blond blend aged in bourbon barrels with cherry and apricot. Exceptionally sour.
Yeah, those are discounted prices for the Apricot and Manhattan, so enjoy that!!

A lot of us paid 6-7 bucks more for these. I actually think the Sang Du Chene was the best of the three so far...
All good things to those who wait...or some such. My local also has the Apricot, which I will pick up for football tomorrow.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

CA radio the mothership-a big bastard, but damn it’s good. First time I’ve had it in 2 years....not sure if it’s changed or if this batch is just tasting especially tasty. Almost a month old, but still tasting super fresh.

On tap next: Barncat’s Blueberry Double Juice iipa. :lol:

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:* NEW *
Godspeed Irori Peated Scotch Lager (yes, like a Scotch Ale only its not.) Smoky and sticky.

Godspeed Oberkassel Altbier - even better than last year's, with fruity depth and black tea notes venturing into classic British Ale territory.

* NEW *
Godspeed Gokuresama Kölsch Style Ale - absolutely brilliant iteration of the style, should embarrass the German versions.

All good stuff currently available at the brew pub store.

Wow, these all sound absolutely incredible. *jealous*

Cadbury102

Post by Cadbury102 »

sofakingdrunk wrote:CA radio the mothership-a big bastard, but damn it’s good. First time I’ve had it in 2 years....not sure if it’s changed or if this batch is just tasting especially tasty. Almost a month old, but still tasting super fresh.

I wanted to get out to Barncat to try thus but was unable. How was it?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Cadbury102 wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:CA radio the mothership-a big bastard, but damn it’s good. First time I’ve had it in 2 years....not sure if it’s changed or if this batch is just tasting especially tasty. Almost a month old, but still tasting super fresh.

I wanted to get out to Barncat to try thus but was unable. How was it?

Really good.....typical Barncat ipa creamy mouthfeel, juicy juicy hops, and blueberry pie(without the sweetness)
I’d imagine it’ll still be available next weekend.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Höss Doppel-Hirsch Doppelbock
Haandbukk Doppelbock

Each quite different & great in its own way. Both quite dark-malty ('rich' is a good word for it) and each uses its own tricks in an attempt to balance out all that bready maltose.

My favorites likely remain Weltenburger Asam-Bock and Andechser Doppelbock Dunkel. Honorables to Weihenstephaner Korbinian and Ayinger Celbrator.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

January 3 to 10:
Nothing (my version of Slightly Dry January)

Over the weekend:

At The Monk's Kettle:
Collective Arts Herr Pils The IV (draft)
Henderson Brewing Henderson's Best (draft)
Muskoka Twice As Mad IIPA (draft)

At home:
Bellwoods Foeder Fermented Grisette
Indie Alehouse Don't Call It A Comeback
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Grocery store dark-beer showdown: Sawdust City Skinny Dippin Stout vs. Collective Arts Stranger than Fiction vs. Clifford Porter.

All nice beers but the Clifford Porter takes the prize for potency of flavour and smokiness.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at WVRST Union Station, Red's Wine Tavern, and beerbistro:
Clifford Dark Streets Of London ESB (draft)
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (draft)
Tooth And Nail Vim & Vigor Pilsner (draft)
Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA (draft)
2010 Brooklyn Monster Ale (bottle)

Over the week at home:
Bellwoods Wizard Wolf - Tettnanger/Mittelfrüh/Saaz
Bellwoods Tangerine Jelly King
Bellwoods Dry-Hopped Come What May
Eagle Brewery Bombardier Amber Beer
Bellwoods 2018 Grandma's Boy
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

cratez wrote:Over the weekend at WVRST Union Station, Red's Wine Tavern, and beerbistro:
Clifford Dark Streets Of London ESB (draft)
Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (draft)
Tooth And Nail Vim & Vigor Pilsner (draft)
Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA (draft)
2010 Brooklyn Monster Ale (bottle)

Over the week at home:
Bellwoods Wizard Wolf - Tettnanger/Mittelfrüh/Saaz
Bellwoods Tangerine Jelly King
Bellwoods Dry-Hopped Come What May
Eagle Brewery Bombardier Amber Beer
Bellwoods 2018 Grandma's Boy
Its nice to have that Wvrst spot open at Union, and it certainly takes care of this awkward wait times. I was there last week and enjoyed a great pale ale from Sonnen Hill.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Godspeed Kölsch, Smoked Pilsner and now the Peated Scotch Lager.

Also enjoyed the Rügner Witbier yesterday. Insel Kriede. It's nice!

Check out the paper wrapped bottle.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Bobsy wrote: It's nice to have that Wvrst spot open at Union, and it certainly takes care of the awkward wait times. I was there last week and enjoyed a great pale ale from Sonnen Hill.
Agreed. There's so much about this place that works – good food, convenient location, great people-watching from the bar, and a tap list that compares favourably to the original WVRST. I always go through Union Station to get downtown, so I envision many more trips here in the future.