Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

-Liam- wrote:Anyone tried 'Bring out the Imp'? http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/bring- ... imp/618603

Yeah, had it about a week ago. Highly recommend it. There’s some cool barnyard-y sort of flavours that come through from the red wine barrel. The abv was dangerously unnoticeable if I remember correct. I’m going to grab more if I see it again.

JeffPorter
Beer Superstar

Post by JeffPorter »

cratez wrote:
Craig wrote:Really depends on the location. Most of the good hoods in the city have local joints where conversations are struck up. Other places, not so much. Toronto's definitely not the friendliest city around though, that's for sure.

Like in Leslieville, where I live, I've struck up conversations in The Roy, Radical Road, AAA plenty of times.
Yes, I'm speaking in general terms, to be sure. I mentioned some of my favourite spots where friendly service and conversation can typically be had, and you and Napalm have yours (totally agree about Rosedale Diner), but for every Hafis/GLB/Monk's I can name 7 other spots where these elements are lacking, especially if you're flying solo. More often than not I'm with my wife when at T.O. bars, so none of this is usually an issue, but the friendliness of other places has struck me particularly when compared to Toronto and its pubs.

Totally late to this discussion, but one of the biggest thing I miss is quiet (usually winter) afternoons at Volo.

They had a couple nice chairs in the corner in that “upper part” ...Nutcracker Porter would be on cask and it would be the best cask you ever had...yeah...I miss that.
"What can you say about Pabst Blue Ribbon that Dennis Hopper hasn’t screamed in the middle of an ether binge?" - Jordan St. John

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

-Liam- wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:I don't understand how a beer can be for sale in the LCBO, but not show up in their (publicly available) inventory system.
Remember I asked something similar about LCBO stocking Dominion City? This is how you responded... "Not trying to be dickish, but why don't you just go to the LCBO website and check. I just did. They have no listings."
Dominion City was brought in by Farm Boy through the LCBO. Never seen it in the LCBO.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

collective arts ipa 8 starting to show inventory
Reliable Beer Critic

portwood

Post by portwood »

northyorksammy wrote:collective arts ipa 8 starting to show inventory
they must have done multiple can runs: just bought a couple dated 3/1/19, heard other people bought with late December dates...
good news, since I was worried LCBO stock would be from the original November run - I'm not a fan of >month old IPAs
@markhamwhisky

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

portwood wrote:
northyorksammy wrote:collective arts ipa 8 starting to show inventory
they must have done multiple can runs: just bought a couple dated 3/1/19, heard other people bought with late December dates...
good news, since I was worried LCBO stock would be from the original November run - I'm not a fan of >month old IPAs
thanks for the useful update
Reliable Beer Critic

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Masterplan wrote:
-Liam- wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:I don't understand how a beer can be for sale in the LCBO, but not show up in their (publicly available) inventory system.
Remember I asked something similar about LCBO stocking Dominion City? This is how you responded... "Not trying to be dickish, but why don't you just go to the LCBO website and check. I just did. They have no listings."
Dominion City was brought in by Farm Boy through the LCBO. Never seen it in the LCBO.
Do you know what beers they carry? And if they are available in GTA?

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

^^

I live pretty close to the Farm Boy in Etobicoke; when I was there last week, they had Town & Country Blonde Ale and Two Flags IPA. Those are the only two I've seen there and usually it's just the blonde ale. I hope they get Sunsplit at some point.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

^^^i just got a mail delivery before Xmas. My first taste of any Dominion stuff and I can’t recomend them highly enough. Really good stuff, and the cheap shipping price combined with quick delivery was an added bonus. The surprise of the bunch for me was their brown ale, really excellent.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Quotashun wrote:^^

I live pretty close to the Farm Boy in Etobicoke; when I was there last week, they had Town & Country Blonde Ale and Two Flags IPA. Those are the only two I've seen there and usually it's just the blonde ale. I hope they get Sunsplit at some point.
This. And I agree, they are a top notch brewery in Ontario.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

Laser Show by Left Field Brewery
IPA - Imperial / Double New England / $4.50 (355 mL can)

wonder what the date is on this:

Stone Ruination Double IPA 2.0 by Stone Brewing
IPA - Imperial / Double / $8.35 (650 mL bottle) / USA

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

spinrsx wrote:wonder what the date is on this:

Stone Ruination Double IPA 2.0 by Stone Brewing
IPA - Imperial / Double / $8.35 (650 mL bottle) / USA
Providing it's decently fresh, this is great news.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

portwood

Post by portwood »

spinrsx wrote:Laser Show by Left Field Brewery
IPA - Imperial / Double New England / $4.50 (355 mL can)

wonder what the date is on this:
you sure the date isn't on the label?
my cans have date stamp between the purple strip and the left field logo near the top of the label (03JAN2019)

(The date code is one of the reasons I'm loving the recent Left Field cans compared to the 650 ml bottles - hate the 650ml size for avb >6%)
@markhamwhisky

cfrancis
Bar Fly

Post by cfrancis »

When the weather gets better. Anyone interested in Dominion, I am past the brewery weekly. Let me know and I can pick it up for you.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Bad, predictable news for hop lovers: the latest US imports are 2+ months old.
Stone Ruination: Nov 7 2018
Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale: Nov 19 2018
Founders All Day IPA: Early Dec IIRC

Picking up Left Field Laser Show canned Jan 23 was a no-brainer.