Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

beerstodiscover wrote:Bad, predictable news for hop lovers: the latest US imports are 2+ months old.
Stone Ruination: Nov 7 2018
Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale: Nov 19 2018
Founders All Day IPA: Early Dec IIRC

Picking up Left Field Laser Show canned Jan 23 was a no-brainer.
Yeah, I still grabbed a few bottles of the Ruination. The best before is February 20, so I'll be drinking them before then. Haven't cracked a bottle yet, but willing to bet that it's better than any other WC DIPA available in this market.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

cratez wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:Bad, predictable news for hop lovers: the latest US imports are 2+ months old.
Stone Ruination: Nov 7 2018
Oskar Blues Dales Pale Ale: Nov 19 2018
Founders All Day IPA: Early Dec IIRC

Picking up Left Field Laser Show canned Jan 23 was a no-brainer.
Yeah, I still grabbed a few bottles of the Ruination. The best before is February 20, so I'll be drinking them before then. Haven't cracked a bottle yet, but willing to bet that it's better than any other WC DIPA available in this market.
I thought the Ruination was still drinking great.

Laser Show cans on the other hand... picked up a couple and thought they were both shit. Total disappointment and Left Field sent out some shit beer. I thought it may have been an old can or something that they just wanted to get rid of so sent them to the stores, but nope, early Jan.

Zero haze and a glass full of sediment with both cans. Patooey. Seems I've been getting let down by a a few of the old stalwarts lately. Thank goodness for Bellwoods. I've can't think of every being frustrated with their quality control, because it's done right.

Orval_Al

Post by Orval_Al »

Blasphomet wrote:
Laser Show cans on the other hand... picked up a couple and thought they were both shit. Total disappointment and Left Field sent out some shit beer. I thought it may have been an old can or something that they just wanted to get rid of so sent them to the stores, but nope, early Jan.

Zero haze and a glass full of sediment with both cans. Patooey. Seems I've been getting let down by a a few of the old stalwarts lately. Thank goodness for Bellwoods. I've can't think of every being frustrated with their quality control, because it's done right.
That's weird. Left Field recently tinkered with their Laser Show recipe, partly to increase the haziness. I bought a 4 pack from the brewery about a month ago and they were absolutely killer. Immediately went back for more. Maybe you just got a bad batch?

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

Orval_Al wrote:
Blasphomet wrote:

That's weird. Left Field recently tinkered with their Laser Show recipe, partly to increase the haziness. I bought a 4 pack from the brewery about a month ago and they were absolutely killer. Immediately went back for more. Maybe you just got a bad batch?
Yeah I'm seeing both on social media. Some that look good, some that look like mine did.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

My Jan 23 Laser Show cans were less than stellar. Not as hazy as I remember.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

beerstodiscover wrote:My Jan 23 Laser Show cans were less than stellar. Not as hazy as I remember.
Sounds like the QC is all over the place, as my can was super clear (could see the hockey game through my glass) but still tasted awesome.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

I just don't really have patience for it anymore. Like, you've been brewing for long enough now. The quality control needs to be there. Maybe I'm being to hard on them, but their tiny cans are overpriced as it is, and that's why it irks me. I'll be back to only buying one can at a time and seeing what happens with their beers going forward.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

New Grapefruit Sculpin in stores with a packaged date of January 7. Tastes great if grapefruit is your thing.

ry_kinney

Post by ry_kinney »

Bobsy wrote:New Grapefruit Sculpin in stores with a packaged date of January 7. Tastes great if grapefruit is your thing.
Never had it before so I've tried about 7 times now to get a single through the register but no luck so far.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

ry_kinney wrote:
Bobsy wrote:New Grapefruit Sculpin in stores with a packaged date of January 7. Tastes great if grapefruit is your thing.
Never had it before so I've tried about 7 times now to get a single through the register but no luck so far.
The 6 pack price is really up there, and I think only worth it if grapefruit floats your boat (which it does for me). If you're not a fan of grapefruit, I wouldn't get a six unless you have more money than sense.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Thanks for the heads up. That's probably the freshest packaging date we've seen for any US beer at the 'BO in a while.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:The 6 pack price is really up there, and I think only worth it if grapefruit floats your boat (which it does for me). If you're not a fan of grapefruit, I wouldn't get a six unless you have more money than sense.
It's not terrible, but I'd struggle to get through a six-pack.

I've had regular Sculpin the week it's released and it's also not cheap in the USA but that's a good IPA.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'd have no trouble at all going through 6 fresh grapefruit Sculpins. Very good beer.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Grapefruit Sculpin is definitely delicious and crushable, but it's somewhat sugary. If you like bone-dry IPAs, or you don't like any notable sweetness in your beer, you may not like it. I'd say it's more of a summer beer, complete with one of these: https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com ... L1500_.jpg

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

no-name beer listed and on sale this long weekend

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo/product/sku/11 ... GfjGvZFyUk

Brick brewed it.