Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Collective Arts

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Tapsucker wrote:
hipster sour fad ends?
Hasn't sour beer been a thing since like... the 1800s? (or maybe earlier?)

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

What does sour beer have to do with hipsters?

Keeping Brett contained is notoriously difficult, even for the big brewers. That whole condescending post was pretty off-base.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

distr0 wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:
hipster sour fad ends?
Even earlier, intentionally sour styles like Gose go back to the 13th century. Further to that it's likely that all beer was somewhat sour prior to modern brewing methods that allowed for tighter microbial control.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Soured ales are 'hipster' because younger adults like sour ales?

Never let facts get in the way of a good argument.
In Beerum Veritas

distr0

Post by distr0 »

seangm wrote:
distr0 wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:
hipster sour fad ends?
Even earlier, intentionally sour styles like Gose go back to the 13th century. Further to that it's likely that all beer was somewhat sour prior to modern brewing methods that allowed for tighter microbial control.
so really, a more valid argument would be that all NON-sour beer is a (relatively) recent 'fad'

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

:roll: = this entire discussion
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Yeah, my apologies. That was a drunk post. I never meant to set off a powder keg. :oops:

I guess what I was getting at was how I'm growing tired of so many brewers who seem to be making products that I enjoy are now jumping on bandwagons rather than sticking to their knitting. I understand many of these brewers became great by experimenting, so I don't want to discourage that, but just because everybody and their neighbor is barrel aging or making sours (or now playing with weed), doesn't make saying "me too!" a useful experiment to foist on your customers.

Yes, I just don't like sours. I don't like goofy adjunct brews. Heck, I don't really like brown ales that much either. I don't want to disparage those who produce them or those who enjoy them. Craft brewing has brought us a golden age of choice. We can all find more things to like than in the past. However, trend chasing can lead us right back to some of the homogeneity we just escaped.

Also, I can remember a time on this forum where Trafalgar was disparaged for their spoiled beers. Perhaps if they had better marketing targeting the sour trend at the right time...
Sorry, couldn't resist that one. :)

Rant over.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

maybethewater

Post by maybethewater »

So IPA 11 is a lactose IPA, no clue about #10.

Scratch that, IPA 10 and 12.
Last edited by maybethewater on Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GrandMarshalloftheBlackTower

Post by GrandMarshalloftheBlackTower »

Keeping up with CA can be a challenge if you live outside the Hamilton area. I've had every IPA in the series up to #8 with the exception of 1 and 2. 3, 5 and 8 are my favourites. 10 looks great judging from the link in that photo above. Regardless, I make an effort to keep up with their beer art as it's as fine as it gets. Just bought a few 8s from the local LC.

Hamilton is the only city able to compete with Toronto when it comes to Ontario craft beer. Not to shit on the rest of the province, as there are some amazing beers from other breweries out there that I'd drink any minute of any day of any week. Toronto and Hamilton just rule the list.

And that's my first post on this site.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

GrandMarshalloftheBlackTower wrote:Keeping up with CA can be a challenge if you live outside the Hamilton area. I've had every IPA in the series up to #8 with the exception of 1 and 2. 3, 5 and 8 are my favourites. 10 looks great judging from the link in that photo above. Regardless, I make an effort to keep up with their beer art as it's as fine as it gets. Just bought a few 8s from the local LC.

Hamilton is the only city able to compete with Toronto when it comes to Ontario craft beer. Not to shit on the rest of the province, as there are some amazing beers from other breweries out there that I'd drink any minute of any day of any week. Toronto and Hamilton just rule the list.

Yes I agree Toronto breweries by volume rule the list, Hamilton, not so much.

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Fairweather is the only Hamilton brewery that I really get excited about any more

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

GrandMarshalloftheBlackTower wrote:Keeping up with CA can be a challenge if you live outside the Hamilton area. I've had every IPA in the series up to #8 with the exception of 1 and 2. 3, 5 and 8 are my favourites. 10 looks great judging from the link in that photo above. Regardless, I make an effort to keep up with their beer art as it's as fine as it gets. Just bought a few 8s from the local LC.

Thanks. things are happening in the Hammer. Tej (one of the owners of Merit) lives on the same street as me. dropped a beer mail off at my house one night!

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

distr0 wrote:Fairweather is the only Hamilton brewery that I really get excited about any more

Fairweather is fantastic, but I’d say that Merit is almost equally as good.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Collective Arts Brewing Opening Brewery and Taproom in Brooklyn

https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2019/0 ... -brooklyn/

Wow!! :o

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Awesome. Having some of their stuff lately I feel CA is up to the task of facing a tough US market.
In Beerum Veritas