Nova Scotia

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker

Re: Nova Scotia

Postby midlife crisis » Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:50 pm

Thanks rejtable. I just got back, as a matter of fact. My overall impression is that there has been an explosion of new craft breweries (not to mention distilleries) in Nova Scotia! Made it to a couple of new places (for me), notably Two Crows, which is putting out quite excellent beer and might be my favourite Halifax brewery (though there is something odd about a brewery on the ground floor of a high-rise condominium, isn't there? I felt this way about Benelux in Montreal, too, back in the day). Also got to Nova Scotia Distillers (J.D. Shore rum) which is highly recommended if you are a rum fan, even a little bit.

Apart from that, couldn't resist the allure of a couple of visits to Stillwell. It is so good, especially during off-hours when it is not rammed. Among the many things I like about it is its commitment to serving cask ale properly without the obnoxious swan neck and sparkler, which is increasingly rare even in Toronto. And the attention to detail extends to the bottle list, the staff, etc. Has to be one of the top beer bars in Canada.

Also had a nice lunch at Wooden Monkey which offers a surprisingly sturdy rotating ten-tap list. Great vibe there, too. I did not make it out to fu#king Unfiltered this time but I have been in the recent fu#king past, thanks very fu#king much (and I enjoyed one of their brews, anyway, in the far more refined surroundings of Stillwell). My biggest to-do remains getting over to Dartmouth and Battery Park. Maybe someday when the weather is a bit warmer!
rejtable
Bar Fly

Postby rejtable » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:44 am

Awesome report!

Yeah, 2 crows location is a bit odd, but they've done a good job with the tasting room overall. Plus it's literally next door to my office when I manage to get out east (which hasn't been nearly often enough lately!!), so I'm not complaining.

I really don't like the space at unfiltered. I don't find the f#$# schtick that Greg and his co-owner have going on to be all that charming. But the beer is good generally, so it's worth it I guess.

Yes, for sure Stillwell has to be on the short list of best bars in Canada. The only downside is sometimes the list is a bit weak if the local releases have been less than stellar. But overall they have fun beers to try, yes great cask and their events are frequent and outstanding.

Oh, one spot I always forget about but I try and make a point in going is Henry House (Granite). Yeah, beer list is pretty stale, but I still love sitting in the basement having either a bitter or a peculiar.
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker

Postby midlife crisis » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:27 pm

You're an Axe Throwing executive then? :D

https://www.halimac.com/
rejtable
Bar Fly

Postby rejtable » Wed Mar 20, 2019 11:10 am

RIP Tom's. :cry:

Return to “Local Beer Guides”