Side Launch - Mountain Lager discontinued - WTF?

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: GregClow, Cass

midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker

Side Launch - Mountain Lager discontinued - WTF?

Postby midlife crisis » Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:54 pm

beerstodiscover

Re: Side Launch - Mountain Lager discontinued - WTF?

Postby beerstodiscover » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:21 pm

Interesting article. Perhaps it wasn't selling well?

Side Launch's stuff is usually pretty fresh so I always thought it was selling through.
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker

Postby midlife crisis » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:41 pm

Hard to know, but it sounds like the MBA's have taken over and a re-branding campaign is underway: Northbound, Getaway, and other such nonsense replacing the core brands. Just slightly amazing to me that they would discontinue a beer that two of our top beer writers (Ben J., Jordan St. John) called their favourite or on a short list of their favourite Ontario beers.
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Postby sofakingdrunk » Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:40 pm

Yeah, not cool in my books that they’re replacing it with an (apparently) far inferior product.
To me, side launch always represented a brand that knocked out a couple of classic styles and totally killed them all. The mountain and the dark are phenomenal for the style ..and while I’m not a big wheat beer giy, theirs was top notch. For a while, the pale ale was(for me the perfect balance of British and American beers)
The past year or so they’ve been pumping out more and more different beers.....and tbh they’ve been quite nice. I’ve enjoyed the sour and the SIPA, but it seems to be straying from the way this company has been going about things for the past 10 years or so.
Sad days, as this lager was one of the few Ontario ones that I regularly drank. Maybe Muddy York will be getting all my lager money now.
midlife crisis
Seasoned Drinker

Postby midlife crisis » Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:29 pm

I just don't get the same warm and fuzzies from Muddy York's Helles. I know others here like it though. I'll have to give it a re-try.

Bellwoods also makes a terrific Munich Helles (when available), but it is almost twice the price!
JaseWescott

Postby JaseWescott » Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:03 pm

midlife crisis wrote:I just don't get the same warm and fuzzies from Muddy York's Helles. I know others here like it though. I'll have to give it a re-try.

Bellwoods also makes a terrific Munich Helles (when available), but it is almost twice the price!

I think Wellington Helles Lager is being made into single 473 ml cans. it came in 6 x 355 ml cans last year. I like Mountain Lager a lot :)
S. St. Jeb
Bar Fly

Postby S. St. Jeb » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:04 pm

JaseWescott wrote:I think Wellington Helles Lager is being made into single 473 ml cans. it came in 6 x 355 ml cans last year.

Still in 6 x 355 at TBS, now in 473 at the LCBO.
Masterplan

Postby Masterplan » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:28 pm

Can't say that I've ever been impressed by a Side Launch offering.
Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Postby Belgian » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:41 am

Masterplan wrote:Can't say that I've ever been impressed by a Side Launch offering.

Lately my fridge beer is 60% German-inspired Godspeed stuff, and I make sure a few cans of Side Launch Wheat are always in there too, it's a necessary staple.

The Erdinger Weissbier tapped at Beer Bistro was also heavenly. Even unexpectedly so.
In Beerum Veritas
JaseWescott

Postby JaseWescott » Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:03 am

Belgian wrote:
Masterplan wrote:Can't say that I've ever been impressed by a Side Launch offering.

Lately my fridge beer is 60% German-inspired Godspeed stuff, and I make sure a few cans of Side Launch Wheat are always in there too, it's a necessary staple.

The Erdinger Weissbier tapped at Beer Bistro was also heavenly. Even unexpectedly so.

I love Side Launch Wheat.

for those that don't know it used to be called Denison's Weissbier and it's a world class Hefe (for real). it used to hold #3 spot on Beeradvocate :)
sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Postby sofakingdrunk » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:19 am

Belgian wrote:

I’m not a big wheat beer guy by any means.....but I still drink the Side launch wheat on a semi-regular basis. That and weihistephaner are really the only ones I regularly enjoy.

Return to “Ontario Brewers”