Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Side Launch - Mountain Lager discontinued - WTF?

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Side Launch - Mountain Lager discontinued - WTF?

Post by midlife crisis »

This is unwelcome news and, IMO, incredibly dumb:

https://bensbeerblog.com/2019/02/28/sid ... -a-little/

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Interesting article. Perhaps it wasn't selling well?

Side Launch's stuff is usually pretty fresh so I always thought it was selling through.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Hard to know, but it sounds like the MBA's have taken over and a re-branding campaign is underway: Northbound, Getaway, and other such nonsense replacing the core brands. Just slightly amazing to me that they would discontinue a beer that two of our top beer writers (Ben J., Jordan St. John) called their favourite or on a short list of their favourite Ontario beers.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Yeah, not cool in my books that they’re replacing it with an (apparently) far inferior product.
To me, side launch always represented a brand that knocked out a couple of classic styles and totally killed them all. The mountain and the dark are phenomenal for the style ..and while I’m not a big wheat beer giy, theirs was top notch. For a while, the pale ale was(for me the perfect balance of British and American beers)
The past year or so they’ve been pumping out more and more different beers.....and tbh they’ve been quite nice. I’ve enjoyed the sour and the SIPA, but it seems to be straying from the way this company has been going about things for the past 10 years or so.
Sad days, as this lager was one of the few Ontario ones that I regularly drank. Maybe Muddy York will be getting all my lager money now.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I just don't get the same warm and fuzzies from Muddy York's Helles. I know others here like it though. I'll have to give it a re-try.

Bellwoods also makes a terrific Munich Helles (when available), but it is almost twice the price!

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

midlife crisis wrote:I just don't get the same warm and fuzzies from Muddy York's Helles. I know others here like it though. I'll have to give it a re-try.

Bellwoods also makes a terrific Munich Helles (when available), but it is almost twice the price!
I think Wellington Helles Lager is being made into single 473 ml cans. it came in 6 x 355 ml cans last year. I like Mountain Lager a lot :)

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

JaseWescott wrote:I think Wellington Helles Lager is being made into single 473 ml cans. it came in 6 x 355 ml cans last year.
Still in 6 x 355 at TBS, now in 473 at the LCBO.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Can't say that I've ever been impressed by a Side Launch offering.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Masterplan wrote:Can't say that I've ever been impressed by a Side Launch offering.
Lately my fridge beer is 60% German-inspired Godspeed stuff, and I make sure a few cans of Side Launch Wheat are always in there too, it's a necessary staple.

The Erdinger Weissbier tapped at Beer Bistro was also heavenly. Even unexpectedly so.
In Beerum Veritas

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Belgian wrote:
Masterplan wrote:Can't say that I've ever been impressed by a Side Launch offering.
Lately my fridge beer is 60% German-inspired Godspeed stuff, and I make sure a few cans of Side Launch Wheat are always in there too, it's a necessary staple.

The Erdinger Weissbier tapped at Beer Bistro was also heavenly. Even unexpectedly so.
I love Side Launch Wheat.

for those that don't know it used to be called Denison's Weissbier and it's a world class Hefe (for real). it used to hold #3 spot on Beeradvocate :)

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:

I’m not a big wheat beer guy by any means.....but I still drink the Side launch wheat on a semi-regular basis. That and weihistephaner are really the only ones I regularly enjoy.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

News from Side Launch today...acquired by Equals.
Two of Ontario's most successful brewers coming together to tap their shared potential

Equals Brewing (London, ON) acquires Side Launch (Collingwood, ON)

Combined portfolio includes Ontario's pioneering seltzer brand (Bangarang), 2016 Craft Brewer of the Year (Side Launch), the #3 rated wheat beer in the world (Side Launch Wheat), and award winning Shake Lager

The combined company is excited to grow and expand from both of its homes in London and Collingwood

LONDON, ON, Oct. 20, 2022 /CNW/ - Good news for Ontario beer and seltzer lovers; Equals Brewing and Side Launch have come together with a commitment to build on their respective leadership positions in Canada's craft landscape. That means Ontarians can expect to see even more of the Side Launch beers, Bangarang seltzers and Shake Lagers they love.

Equals Brewing Company acquires Side Launch Brewing Company as part of growing consolidation in craft beverage marketplace. (CNW Group/Equals Brewing Company)

"Like so many beer-lovers in Ontario, we've admired Side Launch from afar for close to a decade. We love the entire beer portfolio, and love the location in Collingwood, and love the experience and energy of the team." Justin McKellar, President, Equals Brewing

"So, when we saw the opportunity to bring the companies together, it was a no-brainer. The cost of sales and distribution becomes a big challenge for smaller craft breweries, so building a winning portfolio alongside Bangarang has been a priority for us, and we believe we have found the perfect fit with Side Launch Brewing."
The Side Launch brewery and taproom in Collingwood will remain the flagship location for the brand, and they are eager to deepen the connection with the local community. The company already has plans to bring back the much-enjoyed Side Launch Passionate Sour and has quickly gotten to work thinking about ideas to expand the brand's reach in time for next summer.

McKellar says, "Through building success with Bangarang, we understand what it means to have a brand and product that our customers love, and we appreciate every customer that helped us build Bangarang. Now, we feel the same about the Side Launch customer, and the Collingwood community, and we'll put in the effort to earn their continued support."

About Equals Brewing Company
Equals Brewing Company was established in 2018 and has quickly grown to become a premier contract manufacturing partner for beer, cider, pre-mixed cocktails and non-alcoholic beverages. Equals has a passion for quality and consistency with a focus on innovation and customer service. Prior to this acquisition, Equals branded business consisted of Bangarang Hard Seltzer and Shake Lager.
About Side Launch Brewing Company
Side Launch Brewing was established in 2014 and quickly became a leader in the Ontario Craft boom, earning 2016 Craft Brewery of the Year. Side Launch has a taproom in Collingwood and it's portfolio of beers are available year round at LCBO, grocery stores and select Beer Stores.

SOURCE Equals Brewing Company
Commentary about Side Launch's history by Ben:

https://bensbeerblog.com/2022/10/20/the ... h-brewery/

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Bring back Mountain Lager

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:21 pm Bring back Mountain Lager
Okay

https://www.sidelaunchbrewing.com/colle ... tain-lager

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Cass wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:16 pm News from Side Launch today...acquired by Equals.
I have so many questions about how this is going to play out on the ground. Should be interesting.