Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Not a bourbon drinker by any means, and this comment may seem ignorant, but what about hitting it with a tiny tiny splash of water like doing with a single malt scotch? ?

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Not a bourbon drinker by any means, and this comment may seem ignorant, but what about hitting it with a tiny tiny splash of water like doing with a single malt scotch? ?
Yes that’s how I drink bourbon as well; I treat bourbon and scotch the same, with a threat of water as my preferred method over straight, with ice cubes, with whisky rocks, etc.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

portwood

Post by portwood »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:... it’s too high octane for my liking, taking my breath with every sip ...
Not trying to tell you how to drink your whiskey, but .... you knew a "but" was coming :lol:
IMO, people's concept of "sip" when it comes to spirits involves too much liquid entering the mouth - especially for ABVs above 40%.

At 40% ABV, more than ~teaspoon will result in burn for most people (especially if swallowed quickly)
At >50% ABV, the alcohol is so concentrated that a few drops (think eyedropper) is sufficient to get the full impact of the flavour - more than that will just burn the tongue and throat.

In addition to smaller sips, I recommend holding the liquid in the mouth for a couple of seconds to dissolve with saliva before swallowing. If you do that, ever harsh spirits (think Jack Daniels, Johnnie Walker Red, etc), won't "burn" (much)

I think the problem with spirits is people are accustomed to seeing drinking in the movies - i.e. knocking back booze shooter-style

... having said all that, WT Rare Breed may still not be to your liking
@markhamwhisky

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

portwood wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:... it’s too high octane for my liking, taking my breath with every sip ...
Not trying to tell you how to drink your whiskey, but .... you knew a "but" was coming :lol:
IMO, people's concept of "sip" when it comes to spirits involves too much liquid entering the mouth - especially for ABVs above 40%.

At 40% ABV, more than ~teaspoon will result in burn for most people (especially if swallowed quickly)
At >50% ABV, the alcohol is so concentrated that a few drops (think eyedropper) is sufficient to get the full impact of the flavour - more than that will just burn the tongue and throat.

In addition to smaller sips, I recommend holding the liquid in the mouth for a couple of seconds to dissolve with saliva before swallowing. If you do that, ever harsh spirits (think Jack Daniels, Johnnie Walker Red, etc), won't "burn" (much)

I think the problem with spirits is people are accustomed to seeing drinking in the movies - i.e. knocking back booze shooter-style

Nice post!

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

portwood wrote:

While I don’t disagree with you, I don’t believe my “sips” are gulps. My next drink I’ll try keeping it in my mouth longer, however I still think there’s a high alcohol flavour that overpowers.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian in Sept 2016 wrote:Kir Yianni Kali Riza 2013
This... is damn nice, and showing the 'feminine side of Xinomavro' that can be expressed from this grape, with a certain amount of smoothness and yet really solid palate-puckering cherry and berry tartness and some decently dry tannins, in all it is ready to enjoy now but could hold up a few years in the cellar...
Now the
Ktima Kir Yianni Red 2016

Another Xinomavro Blend, again on the graceful side yet boasting gum-smacking tannins. The plummy and cherry fruit and deep blue/black berry lend some fun to the somewhat wiry, demanding structure.

Expect a dry-palate finish, with a bit of spice and cherry compote repeats. Wonderful stuff, well worth it to me.

You'd have to have ordered this online, or could maybe find a bottle in-store at the excellent Danforth & Broadview.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Louis Bernard Vacqueyras 2016

This is a Grenache-driven Southern Rhone blend with well turned-out qualities. The berry and light herbals are great. Appealing smooth but present tannins.

Nice balance of perfumed florals and black fruit and reasonably dry, full structure. Ends with some tart prune and berry compote. Aroma is shy. Good stuff.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:
Belgian wrote:Bulas Fine Ruby Port / Porto
Very fine indeed, almost drinks like a good solid Portugal red but with added richness. ... be amazing for a beef saute.
So the Bulas is now over 5 bucks off at Coxwell / O'Connor, perhaps elsewhere? This turns out to be more of a sipping wine than for cooking, it's better to use a 'Madeirized' or oxidated style Port/Sherry for beef dishes etc. I think this is now a nice deal if you want to try one. It's bigger / richer (but not cloying) VS a regular Douro red - It's therefore very approachable, but also not as 'serious' and long-ageing as the Burmester 10-Year-Old Tawny Port (LINK). That Burmester Tawny is a world away in style and the intensity of effort to produce each bottle of it.

Speaking of long-lived Ports, in my weakness to try new things I got a Warre's Quinta da Cavadinha Vintage Port 2004 today (the last one on the shelf, always a good sign.) Vintage Ports, the rarest kind have the best potential for ageing and complexity so they are, paradoxically removed from barrels & bottled earlier so as to not prematurely rob them of this slow-ageing potential. This will be my first 'declared Vintage' Port whenever I get to it....
And here is the second, a 2011. It's similarly fruity with big expressive grape sweetness. Though I like the Dalva so much for its greater nutty/oaky cask development over ten years, this much rounder wine does have some impressive dimensions. Needs some air as suggested, for structure. You could make a serious beef tenderloin with this stuff, I think the pan sauce would be killer - and it's a steal so why not.

C. Da Silva Dalva 10-Year-Old Tawny Port
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cave de Visan Grande Réserve Visan 2015

Here is another Rhône red the LC talked me into, far shy of the Bernard Vacqueyras in price for the humbler Visan origins. Rustic overall presentation of plummy and berry fruit with light herbaceous garrigue and earth, dried tomato. Moderate dryness, acid and tannins. A bit raisiny. Not as special as the Vacq, and wasn't expecting anything close, yet it's solid - competes very well at an Ontario price point that is close to some pretty uninspiring LC offerings.

From the Vintner:
Soil : Stony and gravelly soil. Hillsides facing South-West.

Grape-varieties : Grenache, Mourvèdre, Syrah. Hand-harvested selected old vines

Wine-making : Traditional method. Fermentation from 8 to 10 days.Wine-making temperature between 30°C.

Wine-tasting : Beautiful rich red colour. Blackcurrant and violet aroma. Round with structure and fineness.

Food and wine : It will accompany the best dishes with elegance especially grilled red meat.
Also could be well worth trying Gigondas from the southern Rhône, I am now reading.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Création Cairanne Côtes du Rhône-Villages 2016

Here is a fun and still fully-structured AOC 'Villages' Rhône red (it's more select than regular Côtes du Rhône.) Typical GSM blend. It's round and a bit spicy, with gentle peppery herbals, violet petal, a decent acidity and smooth tannins. This wine is generous and supple, nice price.

It's matured in a combination of new and 1 year/2 year oak, and a portion of the Grenache is aged in concrete tanks and oak vats to preserve the fruit characteristics.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Meiomi Pinot Noir

Here is a big, round California Pinot. A good flavor density and ripeness is preserved in the fruity, spicy 'Dry' (not XD) profile. It has 9 g/l sugar, which to give an idea is 2 or 3 times the residual sugars of many Burgundy reds.

But what matters is flavor. Pepper, sandalwood/cedar, cherry/ berry and black plum jam. Very rounded tannins, and some youthful acidity tightening the structure, almost a hint of (clean) yogurt lactic noted on the finish. There's a lot here for $21.95. What's not here of course is classic old-world Burgundy red style, which is not what predominantly new-world California seems to go for. I lean more towards the sass of French-style reds, but here you get a different take on this grape.

Meiomi Pinot Noir 2017 is easy-going, silky and warming to drink. I can see why this is popular. I might braise the chicken thighs stealing a cup of this, should work well.

** EDIT ** this wine had a 'permanent' price drop from 28.95 to 21.95, which is of course fairly reasonable. you have to wonder with the emergence of so many great wine regions, the market for New World wines must be getting very price-competitive?

Here's is a recent Stsr article on good Pinot Noir you can buy at the LC right now.
Last edited by Belgian on Sun May 19, 2019 3:37 pm, edited 9 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Jeanneret Cabernet/Malbec 2016

Continuing in the New World theme... here is a South Aussie dry red made with two traditional Southwestern French grape varieties, the famed Cabernet Sauvignon from Bordeaux and the more recent international superstar grape, Malbec from Cahors.

You get supple cassis, plum and red berry fruit and vanilla. a bit jammy plus hints of green pepper (that's the Cab.) Pretty silky and easy going yet it offers a reasonably dry and acidic profile to balance out the sweet berry. Spicy woody tones (kind of buttery!) from I'm guessing the oak.

Very modern, if a bit raisiny and ripe. A full-tasting wine that most people would find agreeable. Was interesting to try just one!

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Fontanafredda Langhe Nebbiolo 2017

This is quite the value. It's not as complex as Barbaresco Nebbiolo, taste is a bit jammy in the middle, but boy is there some nice Italian terroir and grape typicity. Complex raisiny black fruit, dryness, herbals, a touch sanguine salty and leather. Nice mature yet young aromas. To bad it's sold out.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Seigneur de Grezette Malbec Cahors 2016

Here is a kind of Bordeaux-style Malbec that the neighboring Cahors region in Southwestern France is known for. As once mentioned, Malbec blew up because of Argentina, and now Cahors, France is getting in on its own original market, selling as the grape type instead of just the region name. Black fruit and dryness, tart blackberry cassis, cedar, likeable in the tannic and acidic palate. Restrained but elegant aroma. If you grabbed it in March you'll enjoy the character and finesse this solid French red offers.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

La Guardiense Janare del Sannio Greco Bianco 2017

Here is a great little Italian white with pale tart tropical fruit and lemon-curd aromatics and flavors. It's honestly charming. Nice stuff! White florals, mineral, and gentle echoes of soft phenolic herbs. Clean peachy acidity is great.
In Beerum Veritas