Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Domaine La Haute Févrie Sur Lie Muscadet Sèvre et Maine 2017

This is a simpler, gentler white wine than yesterday's Greco Bianco, showing more minerally stone and herbs; instead of lemon curd and tart tropical the fruit is more tart orchard fruit and a whiff of melon, good moderate acidity and a little honeyed fresh citrus.

Has Brioche-like yeast accent. Aromas are reserved and pleasant, the tinge of herbs recalling a hot summer meadow. Fairly dry. Has a bit of spritz to it, nice easy classic wine for seafood.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Monasterio de las Viñas Gran Reserva 2011 Tempranillo Blend

This is a well-matured Spanish Red made of Garanacha (Grenache) + Tempranillo + Carignan. The cork is not perfectly seated, just barely sticking out and the fit seems not very tight, so immediately I worry. The wine itself initially seems a bit short and tight, very dry and attenuated, and possibly has a whiff of Brett-like herbal. But wait! There's some really great dark fruit and mineral/salty/tar elements emerging. This is what you get when wines mature, you get 'something else' and in this case there's some actual character in the tradeoff.

The tannins and acidity have a slight leafy and green apple peel quality. Has the playful Spanish spiciness of the Tempranillo and Carignan, dry minty herbals, and the Grenache black and sour cherry fruit. Interesting chocolate, earthy tobacco and umami. I get some nicely integrated vanilla oak.

I get the feeling this wine has definitely peaked so you're getting quite a deal with the $2.00 off right now. Just expect something interesting and not something really symmetrical, rounded and perfect as some modern Cali thing. This is fine stuff.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Mas des Tannes Rouge 2017 -note this product is mis-listed by the LCBO, as the listing describes it having Grenache Mourvèdre and Carignan but the label says the wine contains Grenache, Merlot and Syrah.

We were I guess supposed to get this one. We got the Classique not the Rouge.

Also,
This is a biodynamic winemaker that sometimes labels its wines as having no added sulfites, as a mark of pride and the LC did not like that for some reason so maybe this resulted in the delayed release and the switched product. The DECANTER 90 Point Score sticker covers the label that says NO SULPHITES. Well, all wine has some naturally-occurring sulfites as anyone with a sensitivity would know. But nanny state.

After all this hassle I bet we never see this winemaker in Ontario again, so if you were curious to try by all accounts it's a good product.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Dandelion Vineyards Lionheart of the Barossa Shiraz 2017

Here is a nice South Australian Shiraz with the almost expected crushed ripe blackberry opulent and coated with chocolate mocha tones. What is different for me is it opens a bit like a Cabernet with some wooly and herbal presence, almost slightly green yet not quite, some mint and plum. There is warm spice and white pepper. The aroma is simple I guess.

It's a full, subtle and round new-world wine with a lot going on, and here you can try the 2017 vintage in the half-bottle size; regular size bottles are on sale two dollars off, not sure what vintage (hey thanks, Vintages!) but the lauded 2015 is sold as a magnum for a good price. I may try more of these.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Mas des Tannes Rouge 2017

Here is the confusing wine posted earlier, I will believe it is what the label says - grapes are Grenache, Merlot and Syrah. This Languedoc red is different than a typical Rhône blend thanks to the more Bordeaux-typical Merlot, and it's a very polished wine for the price. Red and black fruit, licorice and herbs. Nicely dry tannins and ample yet balanced sweetness. A bit of vanilla and chocolate, maybe from the oak and Syrah.

Also, no sulfites were added to process the wine, allowing it to retain its natural character so much as possible. You can discover this information on an older sticker by peeling away the newer Decanter 90 points sticker covering the NO SULFITES sticker. It's bonus entertainment.

So you can probably drink this unkess you are very sulfites-intolerant, which case you likely avoid all wine - I guess that's the point.
Last edited by Belgian on Sun May 19, 2019 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Echeverria Limited Edition Cabernet Sauvignon 2014

Right off the bat this Maipo Valey Chilean Cab Sauv seems surprisingly light and graceful, Cabs can be beefy, but there's a lot of herbs and tobacco that rush in alongside the black cassis and tart-sweet blackberry. Hints of bell pepper, actually a roasty sweet-savoury pepper flavour. Leafy dryness and palate-smacking tannins that are just beginning to soften. Some mint and earth and leather. Good style.

Not really a huge wine for 29.95, no but not too dilute, the quality is still there. It's an interestingly imperfect vintage from a part of the world that produces new-world wines that hold on to some old-world character.

I wonder if this would develop more nice leathery-meaty quailites with years on the bottle.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cavino Nemea Grande Reserve 2012 Agiorgitiko

Here is an Agiorgitiko varietal red that is all soft fruit, flowers, gentle spice and oak. You might even call it a shy and wimpy wine, one lacking much firm structure and stance. But there is a little bit of salty and savoury textuue among the innocuous crushed strawberry and blueberry.

This is definitely not a good firm steak wine I would rave on about as I would a good Xinomavro, but here is a proudly Greek wine offering subtlety... some licorice-like herbs and berries, and chocolate nuances, very polished tannins, cinnamon. This is far from a bad wine. It's just maybe not what you're expecting a wine to be.

Edit: on day two, this wine opens op and gains some blackcurrant-like tart structure which enlivens the flavours and firms it up. Very good with aeration!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château de Ribebon 2015 Bordeaux Red

Nice solid deep red, aroma at first is a bit... like kind of plasticky? Celluloid guitar picks / old electronics smell? There is also blueberry and mulberry depth, and licorice. Taste reflects aroma, plus cherry tartness and blackberry, still that weird plastic note. Ugh. I'm hoping it's kind of a wild herbal thing and this plasticky impression will blow off. Some mineral and herb does follow on the finish, and the fleshy dark fruit is persistent.

Hmm... Weird.
DAY TWO the plasticky smell seems to have blown off, and I think the flavour is better.

GRAPE VARIETIES: 70 % Merlot, 20 % Cabernet sauvignon, 10 % Cabernet franc
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bersano Costalunga Barbera D'Asti DOC Barbera

The Barbera grape is kind of the underestimated little brother of Nebbiolo grape in Piedmont, northern Italy. Nebbiolo gathers most of the spotlight with Barolo and Barbaresco. Yet this Barbera from Asti still captures some of the bracing terroir in reasonably affordable wines. This one has cherry and some nice structure, a bit of leather, nicely acidic berry fruit, compact and with a simple finish. It has a beautiful clean line over it.

This is the fully decent (if not massively long and complex) Italian wine you were always hoping to get for eight bucks but right now it's on sale for twelve (hey, it's Ontario helping you stay sober while making a king's ransom.) I suggest trying this one, or any Barbera d'Asti or d'Alba. With wood oven pizza or some wild roasted boar you just killed.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château Gaumaran 2014 Medoc Bordeaux

Shows a little herbal bell pepper and spicy / vanilla barrel oak, and black currant / black fruit compote. Really lacks weight. Somewhat thin, oxidative, dilute. The Ribeon a few days ago was a little weird at first but It developed better overall flavours and structure than this.

This sells for about 7€ at Lidl discount stores in Europe. There's a place for such simple table wines, yes and even for cheap over there many are better than this (from Spain, France and Italy, definitely.) Just my opinion.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Stéphane Aviron Vieilles Vignes Morgon Côte du Py 2014 Gamay

Here is a rare 5 year old Beaujolais that can age more still. Aroma is various crushed and compote berry and brioche-like yeast and dark florals. Taste opens with firm cherry-like tartness, pomegranate acidity and violets, some volcanic mineral, and smooth tannins. Some gentle garrigue herbs, mint and licorice and white pepper play out over the finish.

A special wine experience for 24 bucks. Other great Cru de Beaujolais wines I've had include Chiroubles and Brouilly. This Aviron Morgon has unusual density which stands out, but all Crus are good. If you're on a bit of a budget, the DeBoeuf Beaujolais on sale now for $11.45 is extremely good value (you can now find 2016, 2017 and sometimes the great 2015 vintage.)
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

It’s been a while since I’ve bought a bottle of Scotch. What are people currently recommending that isn’t a ripoff at the kgbo?
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

portwood

Post by portwood »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:It’s been a while since I’ve bought a bottle of Scotch. What are people currently recommending that isn’t a ripoff at the kgbo?
can you give example of a bottle you liked in the past?
@markhamwhisky

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

portwood wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:It’s been a while since I’ve bought a bottle of Scotch. What are people currently recommending that isn’t a ripoff at the kgbo?
can you give example of a bottle you liked in the past?
Really like:
Lagavulin 16
Ardbeg 10
Jura Superstition

Like:
Nikka 12
Bowmore 12
Talisker 10 or 12 (can’t remember)

Haven’t liked:
Auchentoshan 12
Glenfiddich Snow Phoenix
Glen Breton (lol)

Thanks Portwood
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

portwood

Post by portwood »

Really like:
Lagavulin 16 ... still a classic but the current $135 price tag is getting into "pass" territory. Consider the 8 year at $85. Its not as "smooth" as the 16 but packs a peat punch
Ardbeg 10 Compared to most markets, the $100 is still expensive but its been the same price in Ont for more than 9 years. I think its a great whisky and now worth buying from LCBO (though I still have a few I bought elsewhere for ~70 bucks)
Jura Superstition I'm not a fan of Jura. I'd give Bruichladdich - Port Charlotte 10 a go (recently listed at $110)

Like:
Nikka 12
Bowmore 12 Was going to recommend the 18yo (probably the cheapest >15yr at the "BO) but I see its sold out
Talisker 10 or 12 (can’t remember). Game of Thrones Talisker is coming and is has been getting reasonably good reviews. Probably not as good as the standard 10yo but at the same price may be worth a try if you find a bottle

Looks like you're a fan of heavily peated whisky. Have you ever tried Longrow? It appears to be expensive ($104 @LCBO for the no age statement) but its from a tiny distillery (Springbank) that is as "craft" as you can get. For that reason, they tend to be more expensive than comparable whiskies ... which shouldn't be a hurdle for "craft beer" drinkers willing to pay 6 bucks for a pale ale :wink:
Similarly, Kilchoman (Machir Bay $95) is a small craft distillery putting out high quality heavily peated whisky
@markhamwhisky