Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

portwood wrote:Really like:
Lagavulin 16 ... still a classic but the current $135 price tag is getting into "pass" territory. Consider the 8 year at $85. Its not as "smooth" as the 16 but packs a peat punch
Ardbeg 10 Compared to most markets, the $100 is still expensive but its been the same price in Ont for more than 9 years. I think its a great whisky and now worth buying from LCBO (though I still have a few I bought elsewhere for ~70 bucks)
Jura Superstition I'm not a fan of Jura. I'd give Bruichladdich - Port Charlotte 10 a go (recently listed at $110)

Like:
Nikka 12
Bowmore 12 Was going to recommend the 18yo (probably the cheapest >15yr at the "BO) but I see its sold out
Talisker 10 or 12 (can’t remember). Game of Thrones Talisker is coming and is has been getting reasonably good reviews. Probably not as good as the standard 10yo but at the same price may be worth a try if you find a bottle

Looks like you're a fan of heavily peated whisky. Have you ever tried Longrow? It appears to be expensive ($104 @LCBO for the no age statement) but its from a tiny distillery (Springbank) that is as "craft" as you can get. For that reason, they tend to be more expensive than comparable whiskies ... which shouldn't be a hurdle for "craft beer" drinkers willing to pay 6 bucks for a pale ale :wink:
Similarly, Kilchoman (Machir Bay $95) is a small craft distillery putting out high quality heavily peated whisky
Thank you sir, some interesting things I should check out, however anything you can think of at a “I won’t get in shit from my wife” price point? (If not, I know how to cover my tracks and not take the heat, lol)
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Domaine de La Madone Le Perréon Beaujolais-Villages 2017 Gamay

Yup, another red Beaujolais wine. Has some berry depth, herb. Not bad, in fact you'll keep drinking it. Rounder than the Cru from Morgon, but maybe slightly less interesting. Still reasonable value.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château de Nages Vieilles Vignes Costières de Nîmes 2016 Grenache Blend

Wow, what a shock coming from gentle Beaujolais to this. But under the tart and sweet black berry (blackberry, blueberry, cherry and cassis, bit of mulberry, pie spice) there is herb and touch menthol. Licorice and chocolate.

Fun while serious. Wow. Get one if you feel like it.
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Thank you sir, some interesting things I should check out, however anything you can think of at a “I won’t get in shit from my wife” price point?
You're into (expensive) craft beer and you're worried about shit from the wife over a bottle of Scotch? :lol:

Your problem is liking heavily peated whisky. :wink:
Within the already expensive Scotch single malt category, heavy peat (especially from Islay) has been very popular in the last few years, and prices have skyrocketed.

You did say you liked Bowmore 12 .... for Islay whisky, Bowmore is probably the best value (at less than 18 years). Currently at $5 off its not a bad choice if budget is a consideration....perhaps Laphroaig 10 ($80) - also heavy on the peat but a very medicinal type of smoke

If they had been in stock I would also have recommended:
Compass Box Peat Monster, $76 (a blend of various single malts. Not sure if still the same distilleries but in the past the blend contained Caol Ila, Laphroaig, Ledaig, and Ardmore)
Ledaig 10, $70 (from Tobermory distillery)
@markhamwhisky

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

portwood wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote: Thank you sir, some interesting things I should check out, however anything you can think of at a “I won’t get in shit from my wife” price point?
You're into (expensive) craft beer and you're worried about shit from the wife over a bottle of Scotch? :lol:

Your problem is liking heavily peated whisky. :wink:
Within the already expensive Scotch single malt category, heavy peat (especially from Islay) has been very popular in the last few years, and prices have skyrocketed.

You did say you liked Bowmore 12 .... for Islay whisky, Bowmore is probably the best value (at less than 18 years). Currently at $5 off its not a bad choice if budget is a consideration....perhaps Laphroaig 10 ($80) - also heavy on the peat but a very medicinal type of smoke

If they had been in stock I would also have recommended:
Compass Box Peat Monster, $76 (a blend of various single malts. Not sure if still the same distilleries but in the past the blend contained Caol Ila, Laphroaig, Ledaig, and Ardmore)
Ledaig 10, $70 (from Tobermory distillery)
Thanks Portwood, lots of good info here. I’ve ordered a bottle of Longrow (if my LC can get it in). This evening I really enjoyed a dram of Aberlour A'Bunadh at my friends place. Is the $100 price on point or off?
Last edited by MatttthewGeorge on Thu May 30, 2019 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

A to Z Wineworks Pinot Noir

Here is a theoretically 'textbook' Pinot Noir for about $25 and still I'm truthfully not all that excited. It's perfectly fine, with good harmony and some nice acidity. It's my first Oregon Pinot Noir. There is black cherry and stuff. Some beetroot, some layering. What is it lacking?

Still I think there has to be more exciting Pinot Noir from France, the USA and elsewhere, whether or not the LazyBO is letting us have it. What a stupid provincial liquor system, that it keeps everything here a bit boring and a little too expensive. BOO!!

Oh and if you buy this, yes by Ontario standards you'll find it enjoyable. It's just not in any way remarkable or very exciting, it isn't meant to be. I guess I'll have to spend nearly 35 bucks on the stupid Crema Pinot Noir next.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Vignerons de Tautavel Les Vingt Marches Tautavel 2015 Syrah Blend

Wow, here's a hidden gem that delivers. This red is sort of Rhône-style blend with dry-tart black fruit and mineral, spice, and dark florals. Nose is a bit short and herbal.

Maybe see it it goes on clearout soon as it isn't selling that fast at Vintages.
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:This evening I really enjoyed a dram of Aberlour A'Bunadh at my friends place. Is the $100 price on point or off?
Aberlour a'bunadh is top 5 best bang for your buck single malts at LCBO
so much so, that its been virtually the same price for nearly 10 years ($95 in 2010 to $100 today), while its seen significant price increases in most other markets in the last 2 years (currently >$130 in Alberta, land of cheap booze).

every batch (they release 3-4 annually, currently ~62) is slightly different but they are all very good. Worth a buy ... before the 'BO jacks up the price

if you enjoy this style (ex-sherry cask matured whisky), a whole bunch of options open up. Keep in mind that ex-sherry casks are expensive, so pricing is up there like heavy peat.

Relative bargains are more likely to be found among non-peated, ex-bourbon matured whisky
@markhamwhisky

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

portwood wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:This evening I really enjoyed a dram of Aberlour A'Bunadh at my friends place. Is the $100 price on point or off?
so much so, that its been virtually the same price for nearly 10 years ($95 in 2010 to $100 today), while its seen significant price increases in most other markets in the last 2 years (currently >$130 in Alberta, land of cheap booze).

every batch (they release 3-4 annually, currently ~62) is slightly different but they are all very good. Worth a buy ... before the 'BO jacks up the price

if you enjoy this style (ex-sherry cask matured whisky), a whole bunch of options open up. Keep in mind that ex-sherry casks are expensive, so pricing is up there like heavy peat.

Relative bargains are more likely to be found among non-peated, ex-bourbon matured whisky
Really enjoyed this. Had this nice fruity-ness that the heavy peat covers up. I’ll pick up a bottle for sure (plus the Longrow my local called me to say it’s in).

If you’d like to suggest some options like these, I’m than willing to listen/read, lol

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
portwood wrote:

Really enjoyed this. Had this nice fruity-ness that the heavy peats covers up. I’ll pick up a bottle for sure (plus the Longrow my local called me to say it’s in).

If you’d like to suggest some options like these, I’m than willing to listen/read, lol

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:A to Z Wineworks Pinot Noir

Here is a theoretically 'textbook' Pinot Noir for about $25 and still I'm truthfully not all that excited. It's perfectly fine, with good harmony and some nice acidity. It's my first Oregon Pinot Noir. There is black cherry and stuff. Some beetroot, some layering. What is it lacking?

Still I think there has to be more exciting Pinot Noir from France, the USA and elsewhere, whether or not the LazyBO is letting us have it. What a stupid provincial liquor system, that it keeps everything here a bit boring and a little too expensive. BOO!!

Oh and if you buy this, yes by Ontario standards you'll find it enjoyable. It's just not in any way remarkable or very exciting, it isn't meant to be. I guess I'll have to spend nearly 35 bucks on the stupid Crema Pinot Noir next.

This just reminded me of an Oregon wine that I used to love(although not a Pinot noir). The Evolution, a white blend. It’s pribably been close to 10 years since I’ve seen it at the lcbo but i used to drink gallons of it. I wish they’d bring it back. Such a beautiful wine.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Empties
----------
Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye - not bad
Buffalo Trace - My 2nd bottle... :oops:
Jim Beam Repeal Batch - not great but not terrible either
El Dorado 12 - very nice :D

portwood

Post by portwood »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:If you’d like to suggest some options like these, I’m than willing to listen/read, lol
:lol: :lol: :lol:
slow down ... you just spent a couple hundred bucks on 2 bottles :wink:

Let me know when you've emptied the Longrow & a'bunadh .... I'm sure I can come up with another worthy suggestion...
@markhamwhisky

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Mead question.

For fruited meads from places like Schramms and Superstition, how fresh should one be drinking these? How long can one hold these?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I had a 2010 Kacaba Syrah last night. I didn't take detailed notes, but it did nothing but reaffirm my belief that they make the best Red in Ontario.