Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Too many milkshakes

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Too many milkshakes

Post by midlife crisis »

OK, has this trend gone too far yet?

http://www.caskhunter.com/index.php?mai ... s_id=10894

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I have definitely had "enough" of this style, and wouldn't be mad if I never drank another Milkshake IPA again. But you will continue to see more of them because it's a way for brewers to attract people (the beer curious?) who don't actually like IPAs. I can't tell you how many Bud Light drinkers I know who love the milkshake style.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Agreed, though I have enjoyed a few of them, notably the Bellwoods tangerine one last year, which was awesome. At the other end of the spectrum, the new Lake of Bays peach one is close to undrinkable, IMO (and I'm not one to pile on Lake of Bays for everything they do).

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

I have tried a few for novelty purposes, but owing to my genuine love of traditional IPA’s and DIPA’s, there is no need for milkshakes to become anywhere near a regular thing for me. I suspect this fad will continue filtering up to the mainstream beer consumer long after more hardcore craft drinkers have grown tired of it.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Yeah, but Moosehead's version is sure to be awesome :roll:

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I liked the novelty when the first wave of Bellwoods Milksharks came out, but they are just too sweet and non-beery. They started to linger in my fridge until I would pawn them off on friends.

Overall I've always disliked lactose beers of all stripes (few exceptions). I'm also lactose intolerant so it works out well.

northyorksammy
Seasoned Drinker

Post by northyorksammy »

beerstodiscover wrote:I liked the novelty when the first wave of Bellwoods Milksharks came out, but they are just too sweet and non-beery.

Overall I've always disliked lactose beers of all stripes (few exceptions). I'm also lactose intolerant so it works out well.
Surprising how many people are lactose intolerant - which is our immune system rejecting what is not healthy for us.
I notice more use of vanilla in the place of lactose
Reliable Beer Critic

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

northyorksammy wrote:
beerstodiscover wrote:I liked the novelty when the first wave of Bellwoods Milksharks came out, but they are just too sweet and non-beery.

Surprising how many people are lactose intolerant - which is our immune system rejecting what is not healthy for us.
I notice more use of vanilla in the place of lactose
Blood Brothers does some awesome creamy fruited vanilla nitro brews that are taste/texturally very similar to milkshake beers, but no lactose. Hints are at another one dropping this weekend.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Napalm Frog wrote:Blood Brothers does some awesome creamy fruited vanilla nitro brews that are taste/texturally very similar to milkshake beers, but no lactose. Hints are at another one dropping this weekend.
Yup had this one and it's much more what I would like from a non-stout dessert beer. Very unique. And I don't know it's canned as nitro with no widget.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

beerstodiscover wrote:
Napalm Frog wrote:Blood Brothers does some awesome creamy fruited vanilla nitro brews that are taste/texturally very similar to milkshake beers, but no lactose. Hints are at another one dropping this weekend.
Yup had this one and it's much more what I would like from a non-stout dessert beer. Very unique. And I don't know it's canned as nitro with no widget.
It is canned as Nitro, no widget, so it needs a vigorous shake before opening. Will be honest, I was terrified doing that before opening the first can.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

I like 'em so no it hasn't gone too far.

If you don't like them then don't drink them. Applies to any style.
lister

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

lister wrote:I like 'em so no it hasn't gone too far.

I like them too, when they're good. Can you name some that you've liked that I might check out? (other than Milkshark, which was excellent)

Last few I've tried have been disappointing to awful.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

My choice words are...the idea that it's "too many" is when it crowds out other stuff.

No, I don't like this style. It's up there with flavored coffee. Why not just make a good coffee instead of dumping some syrup in there? But hey, there are people that like this, so let them have the choice. Choice is good, we have more than just Budweiser to drink at most bars now. Choice, celebrate!

Where I draw the line and the term "too many" comes in is when something crowds out other options. Most bars I go to have too many IPAs. I don't complain because I like IPAs, but I also think it would be good for some taps to be available with more varieties (choice). I' have complained about seeing too many taps being lost to sours, because of course I don't like that style. Are there"'too many"' of these novelty beers? Probably not, but it could end up this way due to the herd mentality of so many brewers.

The only other thing I would add is when "too many" brewers chase a fad, they neglect the other things they can be brewing and this could also limit our choice.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

midlife crisis wrote:Yeah, but Moosehead's version is sure to be awesome :roll:
If this 'summer' ever warms up, I'll be sure to seek out their light lime version.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

midlife crisis wrote:
lister wrote:I like 'em so no it hasn't gone too far.

I like them too, when they're good. Can you name some that you've liked that I might check out? (other than Milkshark, which was excellent)

Last few I've tried have been disappointing to awful.
For me personally, most of the ones I've had in the GTA are just "OK". Looking at my notes, I've had some killer ones in other provinces and the US, but Milkshark really seems to be the only consistently good local milkshake option.

That being said, Left Field has 'Lolly', a Mango Lassi style milkshake beer that was really good (was a one off for the Gerrard St Bazaar, then turned into a seasonal due to the love for it). Also, Bandit pumps out a lot of milkshake beers. Their quality is all over the place, and my taste doesn't seem to align with the Untappd ratings, but I enjoyed a few. Flying Monkeys Live Transmission is tasty, too.