Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Munich, Bamberg, Brugge, and Brussels.

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

RyanWright

Munich, Bamberg, Brugge, and Brussels.

Post by RyanWright »

Hi guys, in september I will be travelling to Europe and making stops in Munich, Bamberg, Brugge, and brussels. It goes without saying that as a beer lover, this is a dream trip, especially being able to attend Oktoberfest in Munich for a few days! I am doing my own research, but I would appreciate any tips offered by Bartowellers related to these four great cities. Thanks.

Ryan.

Brews Phillips

Post by Brews Phillips »

I'll make a beer-related food suggestion. You may forget to eat in Brugges since you will be so busy trying all the fantastic beers. So make sure to head over to the Cambrinus Restaurant in Brugges (after finishing up at 't Brugs Beertje :D ) and try the Carbonnade Flamande cooked with Gulden Draak. Fantastic!

Enjoy your trip.

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

Highly recommend the food at Cambrinus, we had a 'Brewers Plate' price fix deal when we went. Brugs Beertje was great for a little salad/pate/cheese plates for a lighter snack.

RyanWright

Post by RyanWright »

Thanks for the Belgium tips guys...I realized that there was another thread that also covered hotspots in Belgium. If there is any advice on Munich or Bamberg, it would be much appreciated. Cheers.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

The beer hotspots in Munich may be the breweries and monasteries surrounding it, rather than places in the center so much (like the Paulaner by the river and the Andechser An Dom.) I have a few on my list still.

Some pf these are acessible by S-Bahn, a very reasonable prospect. You can also stay in places like Aying etc. much cheaper than in 'central' Munich (technically a ciry but Munich feels very much like a larger provincial town.)

The Bayerisches Nationalmuseum is great (if only to escape the weather). Central Munich and environs is great for wandering, so grab a tour guide map & go for a stroll or take a little streetcar tour. Get "Rick Steves Germany 2008."

Bamberg is great for an all-day exploration, or I imagine overnight - clearly Heller Trum and Brauerei Speziale are brewing highlights, as is the cathedral. Some pretty river views and bridges that have buildings. There is SO much old architecture and art in Germany, you can just wing it anywhere and see a lot.
In Beerum Veritas

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

Wow, Bamberg. I loved that town. I can't remember the place I ate at (I had pork medallions in mushroom gravy, which is pretty common for the region), but it had a cozy, cave-like atmosphere and the food was delicious. I got terrible food poisoning, but what are the chances it would happen again?

Found these links on the web, which look pretty useful as far as Bamburg goes:

http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/16436/12bcf/2/
http://www.franconiabeerguide.com/jezzap.asp
http://www.beer-pages.com/protz/features/bamberg-2.htm

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

shintriad wrote:I got terrible food poisoning, but what are the chances it would happen again?
Generally: always avoid touristy or grungy places, and try to see where most of the locals like to eat - you can ask or check Rick Steves. Most Germans have high standards of food preparation, and how clean a restaurant must be to even sit down in.

IME bacterial poisoning is a rare event unless it's just 'traveler's sickness' esp the first time (there are literally 'foreign bacteria" your body is not equipped to deal with.) But you can take garlic capsules before meals to avoid these buggy encounters. Charcoal capsules also work if you do get sick. You don't want to lose vacation time as sick time!

** TYPO - :oops: :roll: the cathedral is not a 'brewing highlight', just a beautiful stone landmark with some great statues.
In Beerum Veritas

Roland + Russell

Post by Roland + Russell »

Having just returned from Europe, here is one suggestion of a great place and brewery to visit.... although not quite in Munich, Klosterbrauerei Andechs is certainly worth the drive and the effort.

Not only will you be able to taste their amazing beers, there is so much to see... the monastery, its Baroque church, Carl Orff's grave.

The monastery cafeteria serves up tasty and generous portions of good German classics such as pork hocks and schnitzel. It is a weekly menu so the choice consists of a daily special, but you can't go wrong whatever is on the menu is guaranteed to be delicious and to pair well with beer.

You will not be disappointed if you go. Happy trails:)
Best regards,
Roland + Russell
www.rolandandrussell.com
twitter.com/RolandRussell

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Reviving this ancient thread to seek recommendations on Brussels and Munich. Will be spending 5 days in each city this October, excluding travel days. Looking for advice on must-visit beer destinations and fun tourist attractions. Hoping Bar Towel can lend a hand. Cheers!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Besides the obvious in Brussels (Cantillon and Moeder Lambic) I'd highly recommend Noordzee if you like seafood and outdoor dining. They have tables across the street in the square. Famous for razor clams, mussels, etc.

In Munich I'd recommend visiting The English Garden and the Chinesischer Turm beer garden within it. We went in the morning and were the only ones there, besides the beer vendor. Probaby more fun later in the day. The Biergarten Viktualienmarkt is also a must visit.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Across the street from the iconic Hofbrauhaus in Munich is the Ayinger am Platz Wirsthaus, service was a bit uneven but the fresh Ayinger beer makes it all worth it. Food was good too, expect to pay tourist prices though. Hofbrau is of course a must visit, if only for the history and atmosphere alone. Another one I loved for atmosphere, Zum Flaucher biergarten was a wonderful spot- a tucked away, treed beer garden in Flaucher park in the middle of an island. Simple food but tasty, with the biggest pretzels I've ever seen.

Brussels: of course Cantillon and Moeder as mentioned. For something a bit different, Cafe Bizon- small blues bar with tons of Belgian beers. Bartender (possibly owner) was an eccentric guy, rocking out to the music being played and just all-in-all enjoying life. It was just one of those memorable little hole-in-the-wall spots in what was a fun, lively part of the city.

Personally for me, old European cities are the attraction and I love just wandering around. Munich is classic Bavarian, very pretty old town, but Brussels is stunning in its own right. It gets a bit of a bad rap sometimes but part of what I loved is that it had a true, lived-in feel. Some old European capitals almost feel too shiny and polished. That said, Grand Place in Brussels is probably the most beautiful city square I've ever seen. Grab a couple beers from a local bottle shop, some decadent waffles and just sit and people watch.

Munich I didn't spend as much time in the city itself, we kind of used it as a launching pad for other excursions- one being Dachau. I wouldn't categorize it as a "fun" tourist attraction, but it's a very sobering and informative experience. If you have a car Bamberg is 2 1/2 hours away, doable as a day trip- home of rauchbier, specifically the amazing Schlenkerla and Brauerei Spezial, the latter of which doesn't export their beer further than 15 miles away to ensure freshness. Bonus for this trip, you get to take the Autobahn which was fun as hell. 200 km/h in a Ford Focus was definitely an experience (and we were still getting our doors blown off by BMWs, Mercededes, etc.)

I'm going to stop now since I could go on forever about Germany, and Belgium for that matter. I love both those countries, and now I'm wanting to plan a trip back there!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Thanks for this, folks. We'll be pursuing many of these recommendations. Cheers!
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

What a nice trip idea! Great notes.

Bamberg is easily accessible by Deutsche Bahn (train) if you want to day-trip to and from München, and enjoy lots of beechwood smoked beer. You might even go back a second day, or else consider other towns for day-trips that are also frequent and easy rail connections from Münschen (Nürnberg for example - they have the famous tiny Bratwurst and tours of beer tunnels.) You can just pick any old city on the map and go there for a while, and it will be interesting (Augsburg, Ulm, Würtzburg and Regensburg are examples.)

You might even like to stay in a Munich-orbiting town such as Aying that is quickly train accessible to München, and of course Aying = beer. I may do something like that next spring when I visit my Aunt and Uncle, maybe I'll rent a flat for a week.

In Munich specifically:
Andechser am Dom in Münschen is pretty decent, they have good food and snacks and of course Andechser beers which are some of the best. The Kloster Andechser brewery near the Ammersee could also be a picturesque day outing by bike or car, I haven't done that one yet. Bavarian countryside though!!

The Hofbraühaus is just OK but like much here is extremely historical. I like the Deutsches Museum, it's hella impressive for at least 3-4 hours, even a full day. There are two gigantic art museums (the Alte Pinakothek and the Neue Pinakothek) for old masters and modern art, especially if there's weather. The Späztle at the city hall (Rathaus) is surprisingly good since you'll be walking by it, and it's a neat place to grab a bite in that courtyard. Walking in Münschen is really enjoyable, day or night and can do just that for a day or two until you feel you 'know' the place. I thought the district of Haidhausen was cool and people like Schwabing.

Rick Steves guides are the best adventure books that are really up to date and offer good values.

Holy crap man, you'll have fun. Guten Reise!
In Beerum Veritas

rejtable
Bar Fly

Post by rejtable »

Probably too late, but for Brussels of course Cantillon and Moeder. Also, 3F is a pretty easy train or uber ride. Malt Attacks was great little bottle shop.

There are so many cool spots in Brussels would be impossible to name them all.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the very useful recommendations. We ended up going to most of the places suggested - both for beer spots and tourist attractions - and had a great time as a result. Bar Towel always comes through, and your help is much appreciated. Cheers!