Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

St. Bernardus Extra 4 — I am enjoying the Euro hop profile on this, which reminds me of De Ranke Simplex This is more balanced with a nice fruity malt.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Great Lakes Brewery:
Great Lakes Pumpkin Ale (draft)
Great Lakes RoboHop New England Imperial IPA (draft)

At Avling Kitchen & Brewery and The Only Cafe:
Avling Pilsner (draft)
Avling I.P.A. (draft)
Avling Geist Stout (draft)
Blood Brothers Devil's Trill IX: Trillmatic (draft)

Over the week at home:
Great Lakes Gilligan Is Still Dead Guava Saison
River Road Two Coconuts Walk Into A Bar
Bellwoods Bobolink Rice Lager
Bellwoods Omerta - Orange, Tangerine & Hibiscus Pale Ale
Great Lakes ACTRA Solidarity Helles Lager
Indie Alehouse Raspberry Lemonade Stand
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Some oddballs lately:

Burdock Leo (2018) - Mixed fermentation saison aged on cabernet franc skins, wild blueberries & blended with Riesling at bottling (3%).

Stone City Ales Communal 13 - Collaboration with WVRST (Toronto). This Sour Brown Ale with Plums was brewed back in June 2017. We barrel fermented this brew & then conditioned it in barrels for 15 months, with another 5 months in bottles. Copious amounts of plums were added, perfectly complimenting the sour brown ale base. The result is a funky sour bright with fruit & background flavours of spice & oak.

Both are great but the Leo is immensely easier to enjoy, with so much flavor for the 3%. The Communal 13 is quite sour, enjoying it over a few days.

Next in the fridge will be:

Ommegang Rosetta - The time-honored Belgian tradition of aging and blending fruit beers is lovingly expressed in this lively creation, named for legendary brewmaster Rosa Merckx of Liefmans, our sister blendery in Belgium where this beer is crafted.
A charming combination of Oud Bruin, a tart Flemish brown ale, and Cuvee Brut, a cheerful cherry beer, Rosetta offers elegance, depth, complexity and an intriguing interplay of tartness and sweetness.

Friday Edit ** oh man the Rosetta is super nice! The morello cherry creeps in more after a few sips, the minerally tart old bruin with hints of kind of veal stock and old oak, plus a subtle finish dryness like wild raspberry. A small masterpiece. I hope you all grabbed a bottle!
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Collingwood Autumn Kellerbier

Excellent. A lager with a noticeable but not overwhelming hop presence. 24 IBU. Loved it.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Paddington's Pub in Grand Bend, Ontario:
Beau's Lug Tread Lagered Ale (draft)
Bayfield Woollen Shop (draft)
Walkerville Geronimo IPA (draft)

At F.I.N.E. – A Restaurant:
Anderson Craft Ales Amber (draft)

At Half Hours On Earth:
Half Hours On Earth Attenborough - Oak Aged (sample)
Half Hours On Earth Cosmic Perspective (sample)
Half Hours On Earth Desire (sample)

Over the week at home:
St. Bernardus Extra 4
Bellwoods & À la Fût Yeehaw Y'all
Half Hours On Earth Blue Thunder
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:
portwood wrote:
Belgian wrote:2017 St-Ambroise Stout Impériale Russe (Bourbon Oak aged RIS)

This is a good Impy, the hops are still a bit grassy and the wood is lightly astringent. The most recent St. Amby RIS I opened before this was 7.5 years old and ageing into a real beauty. It can therefore use time to integrate.

Worth hiding a few away to sleep at the currently-offered price ($3.85.)
I hope the same applies to the 2017's because the 1st bottle of the 10 I bought seemed a bit of a mess to me.
words i used to describe it: sharp, boozy, tarry, burnt wood, too bitter/hoppy for a stout
Yes I would assume that's how it is with this beer. It's not a sleek package when new, it seems very old school not a modern barrel aged thing. I still like it, the aroma is great, some chocolate and bourbon and dark bready malts.
I'm pretty sure SA must add cut up bourbon oak barrels to the vat for ageing based on the astringency, that is just the nature of oak tannins when you expose more of the grain of the wood - although this is at least aged oak and not new wood. It helps ageing. I agree the bittering hops may be a little strong when new, again they too may help preserve the beer for a good few years of sleep. I recall Tempest was a bit 'green' from the hops when new & improved over time.

Personally I think the 2017 will age well and get smoother. I have been right about this one before but it's totally your call. CBS is the one I would drink sooner than later because it's so balanced right now and what could it possibly gain from long cellar time.
This 2017 is drinking well, actually. 1-3/4 years later, smoothing out but with a nice almost smokiness to the roast malt and a winey roundness to the black fruit. It's definitely a bit woody-tannic but this balances the malty rich flavor really well. I would say it has some old school character and I'll age the rest of these at least another year or two and see.

In my experience Impériale Russe Bourbon Oak can age well for 7-8 years no problem.
In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

S. St. Jeb wrote:Collingwood Autumn Kellerbier

Excellent. A lager with a noticeable but not overwhelming hop presence. 24 IBU. Loved it.
Yup, I am loving this too. Perfect lager for the season. Collingwood continues to impress.

Mill Street Chocolate Blossom — Pretty good offering at $4 a can. A little less sweet and carbonated and it would be better.

MacLean's Cherry Porter — Roasty, relatively dry, subtle cherry. I could drink a few of these.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

St. A's Oatmeal Stout — On sale for $2.50 at the LCBO. A case-worthy beer if there ever was one

Earlier at Bellwoods Hafis for the Witchweek Tap Takeover:
Trillium Fort Point (pale ale)
Trillium Plum Super Soak (wild ale w/plums)
Triple Crossing Night Lands (RIS)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Shiranami Hefeweizen. From GS brew pub store - IMO better than the previous iteration I found mediocre and too dry.

This is excellent stuff, particularly if served not too cold, it has a great spicy-fruity roundness, textural doughiness, citrus and a perfect little hop bite on the finish.

This one and the Kölsch are my constant go-backs at the brewery right now.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux 2016 - wow this brew is ageing nicely for anyone who scored a few spares to lay down. It's gotten rounder and smoother over three years, and perhaps it will continue to evolve as more delicate and slightly drier over time.

Shana Tova.

In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the course of Witchstock weekend:

At Paradise Grapevine:
Oxbow Italo Disco - Foudre Aged Farmhouse Ale
Tired Hands HopHands - American Pale Ale
Holy Mountain Demonteller - Foudre Aged Saison

At Birreria Volo (Zwanze Day):
Cantillon Zwanze 2019
Cantllon Magic Lambic 2019
Cantillon Fou' Foune
Trillium Melcher Street IPA

At Witchstock 2019 - Session Two:
Barncat Bastet Noir - Foeder Aged Sour Ale w/ Blackberries
Godspeed Ikinuki - Ungespundet Kellerbier
Small Pony Tropical Apocalypse - Tart Saison w/ Pineapple
Sonnen Hill No Worry - Hoppy Saison
Matron Yeasayer Lagerbier
Alvarado Street Mai Tai - Tropical IPA
Dieu du Ciel! Solstice d'Été aux Cerises - Cherry Sour Wheat Ale
Cloudwater Appropriate Contents - IPA w/ Sabro & Citra
3 Fonteinen Intense Rood - Lambic w/ Cherries
Equilibrium Fluctuation - DDH Double IPA
Notch The Standard - Czech Pils
Tired Hands Alien Church IPA
Notch Polotmavy - Amber Czech Lager
Monkish Rinse Of Riffs - DDH DIPA
Stillwell Campaign - Saison
Trillium Storrowed - Double IPA

At Burdock Brewery:
Burdock Tuesday Saison
Burdock NULA Tart Pale Ale

Home shares with friends:
Half Hours On Earth One Voice In The Cosmic Fugue
Half Hours On Earth Blues For A Red Planet
Illuminated Brew Works Astronaut Juice

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

cratez wrote:Over the course of Witchstock weekend:

At Paradise Grapevine:

Cantillon Zwanze 2019
Cantillon Fou' Foune

At Burdock Brewery:
Burdock Tuesday Saison

That Notch Polotmavy was spectacular. Beer of the festival for me. The head on it was like a Pilsner mousse.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

Coronaeus wrote:
cratez wrote:Over the course of Witchstock weekend:

At Paradise Grapevine:

Cantillon Zwanze 2019
Cantillon Fou' Foune

At Burdock Brewery:
Burdock Tuesday Saison

That Notch Polotmavy was spectacular. Beer of the festival for me. The head on it was like a Pilsner mousse.
The Notch stuff was awesome, the only lager I enjoyed more was the Auval Filtra -LS- which was just other worldly

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Coronaeus wrote: That Notch Polotmavy was spectacular. The head on it was like a Pilsner mousse.
Can't argue with that. I really enjoyed both of their beers. The A-list brewery lineup was the main draw for me, but once there I was equally impressed with the wide range of styles available. Just a great festival all around.
matt7215 wrote: the only lager I enjoyed more was the Auval Filtra -LS- which was just other worldly
Missed out on that one. Too bad.

I also somewhat regret not trying any of the imperial stouts on offer (kept hearing great things about Devil's Teeth, etc.) but that decision along with lots of food and water helped ensure no hangover on Sunday. So, on balance, probably a good call. :lol:

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

cratez wrote:
Coronaeus wrote: That Notch Polotmavy was spectacular. The head on it was like a Pilsner mousse.
Can't argue with that. I really enjoyed both of their beers. The A-list brewery lineup was the main draw for me, but once there I was equally impressed with the wide range of styles available. Just a great festival all around.
matt7215 wrote: the only lager I enjoyed more was the Auval Filtra -LS- which was just other worldly
Missed out on that one. Too bad.

I also somewhat regret not trying any of the imperial stouts on offer (kept hearing great things about Devil's Teeth, etc.) but that decision along with lots of food and water helped ensure no hangover on Sunday. So, on balance, probably a good call. :lol:
I limited the big stout consumption as well. I had the Wakefield/Eighth Street collaboration one. It was nice - lots of coconut. The only other big beer I had was the Monkish TIPA. That was also quite good, and surprisingly not too boozy. I waited until the end of session for those.

My only dud of the day was the Referend Berliner. It was just over the top sour. I’d been looking forward to trying them too.

I think that Auval lager must have been evening session? I liked the Pomace Orange which is notoriously difficult to trade for. The Triple Crossing Helles was really good too.

I regret not trying any Holy Mountain, and I missed out on Veil waiting until the end of the session and they sold out. I gave up on Ontario as it got crowded and had a bite instead. I would have liked to have had a couple more there.