Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Belgian wrote:Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux 2016 - wow this brew is ageing nicely for anyone who scored a few spares to lay down. It's gotten rounder and smoother over three years, and perhaps it will continue to evolve as more delicate and slightly drier over time.

Shana Tova.

I’ve got two more of these sleeping. Will likely open one with Xmas dinner. Had one last year at that time and it was sublime.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

The stouts at Witchstock were incredible. I probably tried all of them (both sessions).. and paid for it Sunday for sure.
I found the beer list was not always accurate and some of the best stouts were not listed.

Standouts stouts
Burial Beer opened one unannounced magnum of awesome RIS each session. First one was well done with cinnamon and the second was very chocolatey.
There was one called something like: "Absolutely, insanely, totally nuts" which was made with a variety of nuts and fantastic.
Other Half — Coco Crazee, this one was only pouring for like an hour in session two IIRC.
J. Wakefield — Count Mashula never arrived but they substituted with Down to Split (banana split stout) in session one.
J. Wakefield — Mark It Zero (Imperial Stout w/ Bananas and Peanuts -12%) was awesome in session two
Modern Times — Mega Devil's Teeth BBA w/ Macadamia, Coconut, & Cocoa
Triple Crossing — Less Than Alone RIS

Weirdest beer:
Other Half - Peanut Butter and Jelly Imperial Granola Berliner - 7.4%

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
Belgian wrote:Dupont Avec Les Bons Voeux 2016 - wow this brew is ageing nicely...
I’ve got two more of these sleeping. Will likely open one with Xmas dinner. Had one last year at that time and it was sublime.
Inventory check. I'm looking at five of the 2016 ALBV.
I still have the magnum 1.5l of 2014, but as these beers age very well the large format should mature the longest. Maybe just keep it to the ten year mark.

Best Before Dates are longer or shorter depending on the size of the bottling. The 1.5 liter has the longest min life span at 5 years, and there's very little ullage in the bottle, it's probably hand-bottled to include very little air so it can sleep a long time.

I also see 1 x 750ml of the classic Saison Dupont Vieille Provision from 2012 (one of my favorite brews),
And 9 x 330mls of SD remains, 2016 bottling.

Time to put the 2012 in the fridge, the last one of the case. Wish we still got the 750mls of SD, my preferred format for keeping around in the cellar! You can ignore and neglect these for years and they still taste good (eg. the dusty old bottles from Consumers Beverage.)
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest Lager (draft)
Bench Plum Grove (draft)

At Beerlab! London:
Beerlab! Lowlands British Mild (sample)
Beerlab! Day Moon Pale Ale (sample)
Beerlab! Green Cheek IPA (sample)

Over the week at home:
Ellison Crescent Fresh India Pale Ale
Walkerville Honest Lager
Blackrocks Brewery 51K IPA
Great Lakes Vienna Lager
Austin Brothers The Paralyzer Double IPA
Half Hours On Earth Desire
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

In Toronto yesterday for a concert.

Pre- concert at Craft Beer Market.

Bellwood’s Boogie Monster
Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar
Phillips Electric Unicorn White IPA

Post-concert intended to return to Craft Beer Market but it was completely packed, so doubled back to Beer Bistro, where you could have dropped a grenade and not hit anyone with the explosion. Changing landscape? Also, Beer Bistro was out of at least a dozen beer menu items.

Anyway, at Beer Bistro.

Bellwood’s Jelly King
Brooklyn Monster Ale 2010.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

BeerIsGood wrote:In Toronto yesterday for a concert.

Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar

Post-concert intended to return to Craft Beer Market but it was completely packed, so doubled back to Beer Bistro, where you could have dropped a grenade and not hit anyone with the explosion. Changing landscape? Also, Beer Bistro was out of at least a dozen beer menu items.

Anyway, at Beer Bistro.

Bellwood’s Jelly King
Concert wasn't Wilco by chance? If so, what a stunning show.

Had pre-show drinks at C'est What:

Stone City Untitled #9 NE IPA (Vic, Eukanot, Mosaic) - Nice one, soft bitterness with a good tropical hop profile
Henderson Export Stout on cask - Was pretty excited to see this one offered on cask, I've been loving the canned version. Tons of chocolate, roast grain and a bittersweet finish.

With respect to Beer Bistro, I found even in their heyday they'd often be out of items from their menu. I used to love the place, but the landscape has definitely changed and BB doesn't feel quite as special as it used to.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

seangm wrote:

Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar

Anyway, at Beer Bistro.

Bellwood’s Jelly King

Stone City Untitled #9 NE IPA (Vic, Eukanot, Mosaic) - Nice one, soft bitterness with a good tropical hop profile
Henderson Export Stout on cask - Was pretty excited to see this one offered on cask, I've been loving the canned version. Tons of chocolate, roast grain and a bittersweet finish.

With respect to Beer Bistro, I found even in their heyday they'd often be out of items from their menu. I used to love the place, but the landscape has definitely changed and BB doesn't feel quite as special as it used to.
Yes, Wilco. Great show. I’ve seen them four times, always great. Yes, I think there has definitely been a changing of the guard regarding those two bars. It was the same the last time I was in town. Craft Beer Market was basically full after the show and there were no more than ten people at BB.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

BeerIsGood wrote:
seangm wrote:

Omnipollo Nebuchadnezzar

Anyway, at Beer Bistro.

Bellwood’s Jelly King

Yes, Wilco. Great show. I’ve seen them four times, always great. Yes, I think there has definitely been a changing of the guard regarding those two bars. It was the same the last time I was in town. Craft Beer Market was basically full after the show and there were no more than ten people at BB.
Agreed, second time for me. Probably one of the best live bands going nowadays. Craft Beer Market has certainly got things figured out, that place seems to be busy almost every night of the week. C'est What seems to have a steady flow of patrons whenever I visit as well. I hope it never changes, it's such a comfortable place to spend some time and is a veteran of the craft beer scene.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Guys!! This isn't a music forum (just kidding...) Yes Beer Bistro is far from the preeminent local beer haven it used to be, but Toronto has changed a lot & I still love the pulled pork Primanti. You'll find me there every few months still. Love that area!

I'm blowing through a lot of Godspeed here since it's local and so fresh at the brewery store. The Shirinami 'White Wave" Hefeweizen is a great overture, with spicy and fruity-citrus notes followed by the minerally and resiny texture of the Yama Yama WC IPA, for a few cans & now a Světlý Ležák Czech Premium lager that is just so nice and bready and crisp.

Luc 'Bim' LaFontaine has got some range and everything he does is pretty damn good.

Here's a stolen picture from Untappd to punctuate my statement.
Last edited by Belgian on Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Nickel Brook Glory & Gold Reserve Series 2019. Quite impressed with this and though it’s been years since I’ve had one, If memory serves it reminds me of Pauwel Kwak. Wish I had a Kwak to test my Wilco addled recollection. :wink:

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

King In The North, one of the Ommegang Game of Thrones offerings. A very nice Imperial Stout.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Badlands Brewery October DIPA

Oct DIPA (2019) - DIPA - 8.2% ABV - $7.5/btl

Our monthly, rotating DIPA series continues!

The monthly DIPA series is our neutral, hop ready canvas to play around with all thing's DIPA. The goal for the series is not only bring you at least one DIPA per month, but also to allow us to push our base DIPA recipe in any number of directions with the goal of ultimately tweaking, refining and improving every DIPA in our lineup.

October 2019 features the high octane pineapple trifecta of Galaxy, Vic Secret and Sultana. We taste pungent notes of pineapple, apricot and mixed tropical fruit.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

GtownRandy wrote:Badlands Brewery October DIPA

Oct DIPA (2019) - DIPA - 8.2% ABV - $7.5/btl

Our monthly, rotating DIPA series continues!

The monthly DIPA series is our neutral, hop ready canvas to play around with all thing's DIPA. The goal for the series is not only bring you at least one DIPA per month, but also to allow us to push our base DIPA recipe in any number of directions with the goal of ultimately tweaking, refining and improving every DIPA in our lineup.

October 2019 features the high octane pineapple trifecta of Galaxy, Vic Secret and Sultana. We taste pungent notes of pineapple, apricot and mixed tropical fruit.

I wish I lived closer to Caledon, I’d love to have a regular supply of badlands. Used to be lucky and was able to get at one of the few beer stores that they stocked, but alas, no more. So happy to see them doing so well though and selling out most weekends. Fantastic beer

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Collective Arts Nothing Evolutionary Pale Ale

With the proliferation of pale ales and IPAs over the last many years, I really don't expect to try any new one that stands out as being really different.

But today it happened. This beer has what I might describe as a "perfume-like" like flavour. It reminds me of when I first had Mill Street Tankhouse Ale oh so many years ago (which I am convinced has been changed since it was first brewed).

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Godspeed Kiri. Belgian Wit. It has a nice lightly minty hop accent to contrast the light phenolic spiciness along with the complexly perfumey-sweet tropical / pear fruit. Really good fresh in cans right now. Also the anniversary ale... they add a decent whack of raspberry to that one so it's not likely to come back soon.

Double Ochame is now there in cans, I must try.
In Beerum Veritas