Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

Picked up wild turkey rare breed at LCBO today. Not sure if this is a new listing or been around a while, but looking forward to enjoying some.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Hob Nob Pinot Noir Pays D'OC

2 bucks off nice 13 (or 3 off a 14?) dollar Pinot Noir from Southeastern France, so only a hint of Burgundian dryness here, it's more fresh in style and riper in the cherry-berry fruit. Gentle leafy-minty bitterness from this warmer climate.

A fairly recent entry on the General List. Really solid inexpensive dinner wine still on sale $10.95 for a few days (I think the price may be going up a dollar after that, they may be incorrectly advertising $3 off the future price?) Worth getting.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château Rousselle 1er Bourgeois Côtes-de-Bourg 2015

Here is a reasonably-priced classic-style Bordeaux both accessible now and it should keep in the cellar. There is a lake of blackberry-inflected berry intensity here, with a likeable tannic structure. that calls for some grilled bison steak or old cheddar.

75% Merlot, 20% Cabernet Sauvignon, 3% Malbec, 2% Cabernet Franc. And 100% good. Plus there's this quaint bottle label:

In Beerum Veritas

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Blanton’s Single Barrel Special Reserve, along with the regular are showing up quickly, and being gobbled up in stores. The former is great if you trade with Americans, as it isn’t sold down there.

OWA 107 has popped up as well. Lots to go around.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château Pierre de Montignac 2014

Another nice one! Serious black fruit that is berry-inflected, dry and a bit minerally. Cassis, blackberry and wild blueberry. Oak, spice, pepper and a hint licorice herbals. Nice acidity.

50% Merlot, 45% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 5% Petit Verdot. Cabernet features nicely. Good tannic support for a Merlot-based Bordeaux red.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Viñalba Reserva Malbec/Touriga Nacional 2017

So here is an Argentine Red blend of two grapes that have origins in SW France and Portugal.

Upon opening this much-lauded $18.95 'steal' of a bottling seems raw and immature. An almost cidery acidity and a whiff of yeasty roughness.There's certainly a depth of black berry fruit hidden in there and some brushy and rooty herbs, the noted licorice. Hint of ocean salt. Overall rough-tasting for the price point, unless aeration were to help this wine open up & smooth down.

I've enjoyed other Touriga Nacional or Malbec-based wines from Europe & elsewhere, and Argentina can be amazing so let's see if the rawness dissipates. Going off first impressions I simply don't like 2017 Viñalba Reserva. I have no doubt other bottlings or impressions may differ, the vintner Hervé J. Fabre is from Bordeaux and this growing region close to Mendoza is great.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:
Belgian wrote:Fontanafredda Langhe Nebbiolo 2017

This is quite the value. It's not as complex as Barbaresco Nebbiolo, taste is a bit jammy in the middle, but boy is there some nice Italian terroir and grape typicity. Complex raisiny black fruit, dryness, herbals, a touch sanguine salty and leather...
Had 4-5 of these, this Langhe improves in the bottle,over a day or two. Probably one to decant, and might age a few years. Solid stuff if you can chase it down!
Another of these beauties, it's like a mini-Barbaresco wth the nice minerality and mature black fruit and cherry, subtle elements of rustic earthy meaty salty. Again some delicious aromatic wild strawberry develops in the glass.

Now THIS is a wine! Got quite a few bottles at Crossroads but it would have been OK if I had bought them all. Langhe is a value DOCG to watch for. Happy thanksgiving.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château Roc de Levraut 2017 Bordeaux Red

I picked this up for $11.00 at the Front Spadina store, lots of clearout deals.

An everyday Bordeaux with a medium-lighter character and some nice old world stodginess from the Cabernet Sauvignon grapes evident in the Cab Merlot blend. Blackberries and cassis and brushy herbals, hints bell pepper. No complaints for $5 off.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Álvarez de Toledo Colección de Familia Mencía 2015 (Bierzo Spain)

Here's a high-quality Spanish red from Bierzo- very full palate, and tastes of a warm climate with deep ripe red and black fruit, spice, sandalwoody-vanilla oak, licorice. I think Syrah and N. Rhône fans will like the bold round textures of these ripe Mencia grape flavors though this one has its own nice dimensions to it.

It's tannic enough but not too dry. I bet these '15 bottles would lay down well for at least 3-6 years. Indeed it might be still a bit young but decanting will only help this and it's actually fine right now. Have had a good Mencia for one-third less, though this one has a little added weight - I'd be happy any day with the cheaper one!
** Day 3, resting with some air in the bottle (in fridge) this has nicely firmed up & the acidy dark fruit profile is finer & sleeker. Quite nice! **

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Vaucher Père & Fils Fleurie 2016

Here is a nice medium-intensity Cru de Beaujolais. All the 'bigger' red Gamay wines are from the northern Beaujolais regions, ie. "the production within ten villages/areas in the foothills of the Beaujolais mountains."

And this particular Cru from Fleurie is a pretty good deal - it's only a few bucks more than lighter, everyday Beaujolais from the growing regions closer to Lyon in the South. It's more distinctive - has attractive berry / cherry, sweet black plum, white pepper and violet florals and brush, some mineral and some acidity to give it lift. Gamay doesn't generally have a lot of tannins but this Vaucher has decent structure - a wine for roast chicken or duck right here.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château Lilian Ladouys 2015 St. Estephe Bordeaux

Got this for about $16 off at the Spadina-Front store. It's a fairly nice, tightly put together wine from the Gironde region. Always wanted to try a St. Estephe and this is a fairly simple wine for the price point (I think it sells closer to $20 USD south of the border, Costco.) I like the cassis and light cherry acidity. Has some finishing minerality, really clean presentation.

I would never suggest buying half a case of it or anything, that would be silly. But this area looks like a good wine destination! Bucket list...
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Prieto Pariente La Provincia 2015 Tempranillo/Grenache blend

Here is a smooth red from Spain, with round red fruit, blueberry, black cherry and vanilla and cocoa- and tobacco/cinnamon-like herbals. It's kind of a bit young and stupid - clearly hot, unrefined and poorly integrated & elementary but I'm hoping aeration will open this wine up a bit. It's good but it really wants something after the textbook-correct structure of that last St. Estephe...

Hoping... (2 days later, it's a little better, but seems a touch simplistic.)
** also note ** the Ladouys 2015 St. Estephe (good, slightly pricey) is going on a sight discount at some other locations like 200 Danforth ($3 off!), but the LC of course won't tell you where. It's all up to capricious store managers, ha ha.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château Le Doyenné 2014

85% Merlot, 10% Cabernet Sauvignon, and 5% Cabernet Franc, Nice well-rounded Bordeaux red with character. Cassis and black berry / plum fruit, firm but nice tannins, acidity and mineral. I like the touch of cedar and herbals, worth getting a few.

In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Anyone looking to "experiment" with Whisk(e)y?

This could be a good place to start:
https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... ciLl1c3kmR

not sure its the same set, but looking at the company's website, its a good variety and some gems in the bunch:
https://thespiritco.com/products/that-b ... 19-edition

Not cheap (this works out to a single bottle for 200 bucks) but given the expense of putting together 30ml samples it's a reasonable price relative to LCBO "standards".

I've ordered one and looking forward to the Ben Nevis, Clynelish, and Longmorn

(I'll update when I pick up my box)
@markhamwhisky

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

portwood wrote:Anyone looking to "experiment" with Whisk(e)y?

This could be a good place to start:
https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... ciLl1c3kmR

not sure its the same set, but looking at the company's website, its a good variety and some gems in the bunch:
https://thespiritco.com/products/that-b ... 19-edition

Not cheap (this works out to a single bottle for 200 bucks) but given the expense of putting together 30ml samples it's a reasonable price relative to LCBO "standards".

I've ordered one and looking forward to the Ben Nevis, Clynelish, and Longmorn

(I'll update when I pick up my box)
Ordered. Thanks for the heads up.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge