Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Bellwoods Jelly King coming to the LCBO: https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... cA-JZpKiUk

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

I saw this with the Christmas Gift Packs on the website, not sure which quarter it belongs to but the price has gone up $2

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... ift-633776

distr0

Post by distr0 »

Napalm Frog wrote:Bellwoods Jelly King coming to the LCBO: https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... cA-JZpKiUk
Interesting

tyke66a

Post by tyke66a »

I see that Fullers Imperial IPA (662411) 10.5% is also coming at $8.00 for a 500ml bottle. Bought one at the Brewery shop in March for £9. It came in a green box with a best before date of 2028 and just like their Vintage ales will develop over time. " Our unique take sees UK hop varieties Target, Golding and Fuggles added to the copper at multiple points during the brew, delivering a piney, earthy aroma and a distinct edge of bitterness. For extra intrigue, we've also added a hint of black pepper- giving the beer a unique spicy twist"
Wonder if we will also get their Imperial Porter (£9) or Past Masters 1909 Pale Ale (£7.50) fingers crossed since it will save me bringing them in my suitcase

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

seangm wrote:... while I like Full Time and the session IPA, they should be in the low $3s, not pushing $4. They do command a lot of shelf space, but I've noticed a few of the bigger guys do as well. Muskoka and Nickel Brook in general have a huge presence at the LCBO I regularly visit.

I haven't tried the David's Tea beer yet, not sure I will since it doesn't appeal to me in general. Been enjoying Wag the Wolf though, that really is a tasty white IPA- a style I typically dislike.
Beau's has been way ahead of the curve in creating higher shelf prices - more so than setting style trends. It's a bizarre phenomenon, a lot of beers are perhaps easily a dollar more than they could be. Has this not happened much in sync with the inflated housing market and low interest rates creating a mock sense of ever-expanding prosperity, and excess optimism? And Canada has some of the most inflated major city real estate markets, so...

Let's hope there's some economic stability. I'm no expert but some feel we're headed for or at risk for a major softening of the world economy that could gouge home prices and discretionary spending, etc., this will be a game-changer. It may really hamper or kill so many businesses that we've come to enjoy, there's a new one every week.
In Beerum Veritas

Blasphomet

Post by Blasphomet »

So Bellwoods Jelly King in the LC, eh?

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Blasphomet wrote:So Bellwoods Jelly King in the LC, eh?
<fake outrage> 8)

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm surprised it took as long as it did. It felt like an obvious next step once they got their production brewery up and running. They must move an incredible volume without using channels like the LCBO or TBS.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Regarding Beau's prices. I was under the opinion that they use organic ingredients. This could account for the higher than average price, and for some they may be willing to pay for it based only on that. That being said, I haven't tried a Beau's in a long time, since they did not impress me in the past. Maybe, I should try some of their newer offerings, when I get around to it.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

I seem to view Beau's a bit differently than others. Historically I've found that they excel at German (helles, altbier, marzen, kolsch, dunkel, etc.) and session styles (Wag the Wolf, ESB, Irish Stout, Good TIme), and are mediocre at almost everything else, particularly mid-strength IPAs, most American styles, and virtually anything Imperial. So if they put out a new dortmunder or bitter, I'll go for that, but I ignore many of the other, frivolous releases. I've also been impressed by some of the Halcyon beers, and they deserve credit for that. But I don't always grab them due to the spendy-ish prices (usually $8 or more per 500ml bottle).
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

cratez wrote:I seem to view Beau's a bit differently than others. Historically I've found that they excel at German (helles, altbier, marzen, kolsch, dunkel, etc.) and session styles (Wag the Wolf, ESB, Irish Stout, Good TIme), and are mediocre at almost everything else, particularly mid-strength IPAs, most American styles, and virtually anything Imperial. So if they put out a new dortmunder or bitter, I'll go for that, but I ignore many of the other, frivolous releases. I've also been impressed by some of the Halcyon beers, and they deserve credit for that. But I don't always grab them due to the spendy-ish prices (usually $8 or more per 500ml bottle).
I agree with this analysis of Beau's. Their German stuff is usually pretty good, even if some of their other offerings are not so hot. I look forward to the Marzen and the Alt in their respective seasons.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

you guys have probably noticed Chocolate Manifesto absent from Christmas Gift Packs. turns out Flying Monkeys changed the box design back to Yellow and LCBO didn't think it was "Festive" enough. it will be in-stores Dec 1st.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Nickel Brook Mystery Pack coming back :wink:

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

A bunch of Bourbon County Stout is coming.. online and in a few stores

BakaGaijin

Post by BakaGaijin »

spinrsx wrote:A bunch of Bourbon County Stout is coming.. online and in a few stores
This stuff sits on shelves in Florida nearly year round for $10.99.