Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Peppered beers

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

skaghevn

Peppered beers

Post by skaghevn »

Beers with peppers have always been scarce in these parts, and I'm not in touch with the local scene as much as I used to be: what's going 'round these days besides Bandit's Cake Monster (choco porter with habanero)? And is there anything looming on the horizon that I ought be on the lookout for?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

El Jaguar is usually available sometime in the fall/winter.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Frank Brewery makes Honey Habanero which is fairly widely available in the LCBO.

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... dFqIHdFy70

Wellington produced Raked Over Mango Pineapple Habanero IPA. It was available in their Brewery Mix Pack Volume 6 which is virtually sold out. Doesn't seem to be currently available at the brewery.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Wellington produced Raked Over Mango Pineapple Habanero IPA. It was available in their Brewery Mix Pack Volume 6 which is virtually sold out. Doesn't seem to be currently available at the brewery.
Was there this morning, it’s not available.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Great Lakes has Murder for a Jar of Red Rum, a stout with grilled serranos and chocolate. It was decent, a bit mild all things considered though.

Cask

Post by Cask »

Blood Brothers' Passion of the Spice, a sour brewed with fruit and California Reapers, is pleasantly intense.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Thanks for the suggestions; hope to be hitting GLB & BB this week. Will probably hit the 'BO too for the Honey Habanero, even though honeyed beers aren't my fave.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

I think Skeleton Key is coming out at the end of the month. Perhaps a Pepper one again this year?

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

I don’t know if you can find this but I once had one from MilleVertus called Poivrote, which was quite good as I recall.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Looks like People's Pint has one in the queue:
Chinese Food For Christmas Szechuan Peppercorn IPA

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Napalm Frog wrote:Looks like People's Pint has one in the queue:
Chinese Food For Christmas Szechuan Peppercorn IPA
LOL - I'm just not creative enough to come up with these names. :lol:

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I stopped in at Stonehooker in Port Credit on the weekend. They had close to 20 different beers in the cooler. :o

One is Spicy Raspberry 2.0 Saison. The description on the can says:

Our Steampunk Saison base has been kicked up a notch with delicious red raspberry and spicy Mexican chiles (sic) to give you a unique blend of fruit and heat. The heat has been kicked up a notch with the addition of Habanero peppers.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

S. St. Jeb wrote:I stopped in at Stonehooker in Port Credit on the weekend. They had close to 20 different beers in the cooler. :o

One is Spicy Raspberry 2.0 Saison. The description on the can says:

Our Steampunk Saison base has been kicked up a notch with delicious red raspberry and spicy Mexican chiles (sic) to give you a unique blend of fruit and heat. The heat has been kicked up a notch with the addition of Habanero peppers.
Hah! Unfortunately I like to drink more than I like to eat. My problem, I know. :crawls off to corner:
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:Wellington produced Raked Over Mango Pineapple Habanero IPA. It was available in their Brewery Mix Pack Volume 6 which is virtually sold out. Doesn't seem to be currently available at the brewery.
They're bringing it back.

Wellington Brewery Brings Back Raked Over IPA with Mango, Pineapple & Habanero

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:
They're bringing it back.

Wellington Brewery Brings Back Raked Over IPA with Mango, Pineapple & Habanero

Last years version of this was actually quite heavy in the habanero. I could see it really turning alot of people off, if they weren’t expecting as much heat as was in there. But it was a really tasty beer. I’ll be grabbing many more this year.