Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Craft Beer, Imports and Pumpkin Beers at the LCBO (Fall 2019)

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Bobsy wrote:Not seen a single beer from the import list in-store. Has the lcbo given up altogether or are they clearing the shelves before I turn up?
I've seen Pohjala Must Kuld at a couple locations, but that's the only one. Frustrating since there are several from the list I'm eager to buy, Uerige Alt in particular.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

seangm wrote:
Bobsy wrote:Not seen a single beer from the import list in-store. Has the lcbo given up altogether or are they clearing the shelves before I turn up?
I've seen Pohjala Must Kuld at a couple locations, but that's the only one. Frustrating since there are several from the list I'm eager to buy, Uerige Alt in particular.

I’ve seen(and bought) the Pohjala,uerige, and weinestephaner Vitus here in Guelph. But only one store had them. Haven’t seen anything else.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

I have seen Hofbrau Oktoberfest, Maduro Brown and Windswept Glen Moray. maybe find a LCBO with a better manager or try ordering online?

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

JaseWescott wrote:
I have seen Hofbrau Oktoberfest, Maduro Brown and Windswept Glen Moray. maybe find a LCBO with a better manager or try ordering online?

Online ordering doesn't seem to be available for any of the fall release, and when I checked store distribution there are very few out there, and very few of the release in market at all.

Just for comparison's sake I looked at last year's fall thread. On October 19th 2018, I posted that nine of the import release were on shelves at my local. We're three weeks later in 2019 and I've not seen a single one. Is the LCBO trying to redefine what 'Fall' means? In some respects I think they've improved remarkably over the past few years, but this is a reminder of how we really are underserved by the crappy distribution system we have.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Bobsy wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:

Online ordering doesn't seem to be available for any of the fall release, and when I checked store distribution there are very few out there, and very few of the release in market at all.

Just for comparison's sake I looked at last year's fall thread. On October 19th 2018, I posted that nine of the import release were on shelves at my local. We're three weeks later in 2019 and I've not seen a single one. Is the LCBO trying to redefine what 'Fall' means? In some respects I think they've improved remarkably over the past few years, but this is a reminder of how we really are underserved by the crappy distribution system we have.
I haven't even been able to find some online at all, for instance when I search for Uerige Alt it doesn't show up. The LCBO I frequent is typically pretty good with seasonals, but same thing, almost nothing on shelf.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Oskar Blues Death by Coconut in stock and online. I had to buy it online, none available in Hamilton area.

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... tId=283002

HeadyestTopper

Post by HeadyestTopper »

Anyone have any information on the DFH 90 Minute IPA that we were supposed to see? I know it's technically fall for another month, but as time goes on I'm starting to feel like it is not going to make its arrival.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

I believe it needs to be aged in a LCBO warehouse prior to its release...

HeadyestTopper

Post by HeadyestTopper »

Masterplan wrote:I believe it needs to be aged in a LCBO warehouse prior to its release...
Goes without saying. I'm pissed about Jai Alai. I know I can just drive to Buffalo if I really want some. But I don't always have that luxury.

Aaaaaanyways, just hoping we see a decently fresh iteration of 90 Minute sometime in the near future.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

HeadyestTopper wrote:
Masterplan wrote:I believe it needs to be aged in a LCBO warehouse prior to its release...
Goes without saying. I'm pissed about Jai Alai. I know I can just drive to Buffalo if I really want some. But I don't always have that luxury.

Aaaaaanyways, just hoping we see a decently fresh iteration of 90 Minute sometime in the near future.
As we all know, there's a long history of the most anticipated seasonals never showing up. Looking increasingly like this will be the one that doesn't come for the fall release. But hey, the Sam Roberts Band Ale arrived, so who are we to complain.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

11695 De Moersleutel Dolle Dries 2 Imperial Porter - 440mL - Netherlands

This is now listed, but no stock showing. I'm looking forward to trying this based on style. Is anyone familiar with this brewery?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

It's a coffee bean and apricot pit IS (pretty sure it's normally called a stout despite what the LCBO says)

I find that interesting. Apricot pits? Like, not the fruit?

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

another Imperial Porter listed the other day

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... rter-13637

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Anyone try Rodenbach Alexander?

I am debating getting this vs. more Caractère Rouge.

Caractère Rouge: $8.70, 100% aged beer (30 months) with cherries, raspberries and cranberries, 7% abv
Alexander: $11.95, 66% aged (24 months) with cheeries, 5.6% abv

S M A

Post by S M A »

Well, I thought it might never arrive, but the Dupont Moinette Blonde is finally listed:

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... esI0ZNKiM8

Only in few places so far, but I only saw it appear on Wednesday (in Peterborough only). In classic LCBO style, you can't even find it on the site by searching the brewery name. But no one can complain about the price, so I guess you take the good with the bad. I expect that I'll be loading up on this one.