Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

BeerIsGood wrote:Omnipollo Prodromus. For some reason I was expecting much sweeter, but there is a bitterness here that I find very appealing.
My recollection of this is that is was very sweet, matching the desert flavour description on the can.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
BeerIsGood wrote:Omnipollo Prodromus. For some reason I was expecting much sweeter, but there is a bitterness here that I find very appealing.
My recollection of this is that is was very sweet, matching the desert flavour description on the can.
I think it's taste perception - some people focus on the bold richness as 'overwhelming' & others can note that but put it in the background and also focus on roast, dryness, vanilla or whatever.

Same thing, different impressions.
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Puttered around the cellar and pulled out a Rochefort 8, bottled on Sept. 14, 2005. More of a 10 person, so I'll have to hunt for my oldest bottle of that to see how they compare. At the moment, I'm under the impression I would've been happier cracking this open a couple of years ago, but it's still quite quaffable.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

skaghevn wrote:Puttered around the cellar and pulled out a Rochefort 8, bottled on Sept. 14, 2005. More of a 10 person, so I'll have to hunt for my oldest bottle of that to see how they compare. At the moment, I'm under the impression I would've been happier cracking this open a couple of years ago, but it's still quite quaffable.
Cool! Those old bottles of Rochefort get VERY thin-tasting unless you rouse up the sediment a few days before drinking & then let it settle down again. If you wash out the bottle you'll see besides the yeast lees there's also a lot of dark sediment from the finer suspended solids that once added body and flavor to this beer. Or that's my opinion!
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
My measure of a very sweet beer is that I would have been happier pouring it over some vanilla ice cream; don't recall thinking that about the Prodromus.

skaghevn

Post by skaghevn »

Belgian wrote:
skaghevn wrote:Puttered around the cellar and pulled out a Rochefort 8, bottled on Sept. 14, 2005. More of a 10 person, so I'll have to hunt for my oldest bottle of that to see how they compare. At the moment, I'm under the impression I would've been happier cracking this open a couple of years ago, but it's still quite quaffable.
Cool! Those old bottles of Rochefort get VERY thin-tasting unless you rouse up the sediment a few days before drinking & then let it settle down again.
Hmm....will remember that for the others; only gave it some swirling before cracking it open. I know you've mentioned that before here, so thank you for reminding me. :)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

skaghevn wrote:
Belgian wrote:
Cool! Those old bottles of Rochefort get VERY thin-tasting unless you rouse up the sediment a few days before drinking & then let it settle down again.
Hmm....will remember that for the others; only gave it some swirling before cracking it open. I know you've mentioned that before here, so thank you for reminding me. :)
It's VERY gucky - a layer glued right on the bottom of the bottle - but you're welcome. :)

Just opened a 2006 Chimay Bleue (expy 2009) - what a survivor of time, the dark fruit and chocalatey notes have really mellowed. Still has a bit of life to the carbonation, but now silky feel, more like a cask ale which is interesting. Subtle. Echoes of spices, citrus candy and even hints of bitter hop at the end - damn good actually. Can't wait to kill the last bottle of this case I bought 13 years ago.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
That’s interesting. I’d be curious about your comparison between the Omnipollo and say Flying Monkeys Chocolate Manifesto, if you’ve had it. I found the latter to be undrinkable in its sweetness.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

BeerIsGood wrote:
S. St. Jeb wrote:
That’s interesting. I’d be curious about your comparison between the Omnipollo and say Flying Monkeys Chocolate Manifesto, if you’ve had it. I found the latter to be undrinkable in its sweetness.
Haven't had it, but I'll try to remember this conversation if I do, or come across some other sweet beer.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belhaven Scottish Oatmeal Stout & 90/~ Wee Heavy, Both really nice!

Six-bottle gift pack overall has some nice surprises. I know that Belhaven & Greene King are not at the top of anyone's geek-out list, but Belhaven is doing some legit service to the craft beer thing.

The GK Christmas Pudding Ale is no lump of coal, but you can safely skip that one.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

I’m a big fan of the belhaven wee heavy. It’s a true classic, back in the motherland.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the week in downtown Toronto while at a work conference:
Left Field 1,000 Victories (draft)
C'est What? Double Rouge (draft)
Niagara Oast House Local Hoption Wet-Hop IPA (draft)
Gaffel Kölsch (draft)
Left Field Prospect Single Hop IPA : Sabro (draft)
Fairweather Silky - American Oat Porter (draft)
Little Beasts Mountain Devil (draft)
Amsterdam English Dark Mild (cask)
Rainhard Brutal Truth (draft)
Dieu Du Ciel! Lazer Lager (draft)
Collective Arts IPA No. 11 (draft)
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Fullers Imperial IPA — Really nice beast of an ale. Firm Euro hops and massive malt. Fruity, bready, herbal, sweet and bitter.

portwood

Post by portwood »

beerstodiscover wrote:Fullers Imperial IPA — Really nice beast of an ale. Firm Euro hops and massive malt. Fruity, bready, herbal, sweet and bitter.
This was a pleasant surprise for me as well.

labels says its bottle conditioned and best before Dec 2028 ... a NINE YEAR shelf life for an imperial IPA? WTF?

from limited experience, IPAs die after a few weeks/months - depending on brewery - can this last that long?
@markhamwhisky

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

portwood wrote:From limited experience, IPAs die after a few weeks/months - depending on brewery - can this last that long?
For all intents and purposes this is a hoppy barley wine. I like the hop bitterness, but even if it fades, this will still be a nice ale to drink in a decade.