Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

portwood

Post by portwood »

beerstodiscover wrote:
portwood wrote:From limited experience, IPAs die after a few weeks/months - depending on brewery - can this last that long?
For all intents and purposes this is a hoppy barley wine. I like the hop bitterness, but even if it fades, this will still be a nice ale to drink in a decade.
that makes sense, thanks
@markhamwhisky

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

CA Stranger Than Fiction Porter.

Comfort food on an ugly day like this.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

I too am drinking a Fuller's IIPA. This is absolutely terrific. The only complaint is the pepper that they added is a little too strong for me. I am going to try and find more of this.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

BartOwl wrote:I too am drinking a Fuller's IIPA. This is absolutely terrific. The only complaint is the pepper that they added is a little too strong for me. I am going to try and find more of this.
This one hasn’t made it to my local yet and is currently unavailable for online purchase. Here’s hoping something opens up, as I’d really like to try this and the closest current store is 50km each way. Doable, for sure, but I’d prefer more convenient if possible.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Cigar City Madura Brown Ale - nice bready dark malts, almost a hint of umami/salt. Leans into Stout territory by its generosity.

Must Kuld Porter - an actual Baltic Baltic Porter? Not really. Definitely reminds me of Scandinavian stouts and porters. Has some dry herbals, hints of earth, minerality, leather... more complexity and balance of course than the Madura - both are excellent.
In Beerum Veritas

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

La Trappe Quad. Definitely a step below Rochefort 10 and Westy 12 but a very good quad nonetheless.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

BeerIsGood wrote:La Trappe Quad. Definitely a step below Rochefort 10 and Westy 12 but a very good quad nonetheless.
I agree with this assessment. However, if you get the chance to age it 4 or 5 years, it improves dramatically. It becomes more complex.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Beerlab! London and Milos' Craft Beer Emporium:
Beerlab! Oslo Farmhouse Ale (sample)
Beerlab! Hello World Pale Ale (sample)
Beerlab! Stout w/ Toasted Coconut, Vanilla Bean & Cacao Nibs (sample)
Neustadt Springs Northern Bitter (draft)
Bellwoods Winner Hibiscus Saison (draft)
Wellington Special Pale Ale (cask)

At a social gathering:
Hudson Valley Apotheosis Sour IPA

Over the week at home:
Põhjala Must Kuld
Bellwoods Autobahn Pilsner
Boss Brewing Black
Storm Stayed Keets American Lager
Storm Stayed The Soloist: Vic Secret
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

BartOwl wrote:
BeerIsGood wrote:La Trappe Quad. Definitely a step below Rochefort 10 and Westy 12 but a very good quad nonetheless.
I agree with this assessment. However, if you get the chance to age it 4 or 5 years, it improves dramatically. It becomes more complex.
that reminds me.. I don't think St. Bernardus sent us the Christmas Ale in 750 ml bombers this year :( anybody try La Resolution by Unibroue yet?

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

JaseWescott wrote:
BartOwl wrote:
that reminds me.. I don't think St. Bernardus sent us the Christmas Ale in 750 ml bombers this year :( anybody try La Resolution by Unibroue yet?
Yes, I have had a couple of La Resolution. Spicy with some caramel, roasted malt. Very, very good. I’ve bought a half dozen to cellar. Recommended.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Hitachino Nest Nipponia, which was part of an online order. It’s classified as an Imperial Pilsner, but I’m getting more Barley Wine in the nose, taste and body. Noticed that the best before date is December 21, 2019, so wondering when this beer was actually produced and what changes may have occurred in the interim.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Found myself at Beer Town tonight (every once in a while, it's good to find yourself :D ), and had Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA. Haven't had this in quite a while. Still love it.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

BeerIsGood wrote:Hitachino Nest Nipponia, which was part of an online order. It’s classified as an Imperial Pilsner, but I’m getting more Barley Wine in the nose, taste and body. Noticed that the best before date is December 21, 2019, so wondering when this beer was actually produced and what changes may have occurred in the interim.
So I came across this and a bunch of Hitachino beers around this time last year at a random Markham LCBO, and based on the type of beer I'd guess they'd give it a 1-2 shelf life. My notes are from April and to me it was an excellent beer. I definitely agree with the barley wine notes, got lots of stewed fruit and even sherry-like fortified wine notes. I also found it had a Belgian golden ale/tripel quality to it, lots of phenols and dry crackery malt. There was some citrus and hoppy bitterness too, they use Sorachi Ace hops I believe, so based on your notes it sounds like those mellow out and it takes on more of the barley wine qualities with age.

I'd give this one the world class moniker, worth trying for sure. Ideally the LCBO is/will be getting newer stock, but you never know with them.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

JaseWescott wrote:
BartOwl wrote:

I personally don’t remebe seeing the St Berny Xmas in a good 3-4 years. Too bad, it was great and an excellent price. As far as the Resolution goes, haven’t had one this year....but I bought it a few years back when it was around. I remember it being really good, and also and good bargain

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

La Trappe Tripel, found at the LCBO in the very small town of Alexandria, Ontario. A pleasant surprise.