Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Coming Soon to the LCBO

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:yeah, Moosehead isn't anything to write home to Mom about. distribution of the Small Batch series doesn't seem so great.

Fixed Gear Brewing Cherry Training Wheels also a new listing

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... sour-13369

And furthermore...Fixed Gear is nothing to write home about either.
the reviews for this beer don't seem so bad? I like sours.

https://untappd.com/b/fixed-gear-brewin ... ls/2867096

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

I was thinking the Stout and the Pale Ale, but I guess the Pale isn’t part of the series. Didn’t try the honey wheat or the milkshake stout (which I would avoid like the plague) but I’ll check out the red. Agree on the peppermint IPA though... someone else check that out and let us know, lol
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

JaseWescott wrote:
sofakingdrunk wrote:
JaseWescott wrote:yeah, Moosehead isn't anything to write home to Mom about. distribution of the Small Batch series doesn't seem so great.

Fixed Gear Brewing Cherry Training Wheels also a new listing

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... sour-13369

And furthermore...Fixed Gear is nothing to write home about either.
the reviews for this beer don't seem so bad? I like sours.

https://untappd.com/b/fixed-gear-brewin ... ls/2867096
It's not bad, but it won't blow your socks off either. I'd call it a very approachable sour, if that makes sense.

I've had a bunch of Fixed Gear beers since moving to Guelph, and they've all been alright. Nothing that rocked my world, but the sours were mostly pleasant and easy to drink and the hoppy stuff was mostly tasty and on point for what they were supposed to be. They're not a world-beater of a brewery, but they might be my favourite in Guelph.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

^^^^
To be fair, I haven’t had that particular beer. But everything I’ve had from fixed gear(6-8 different beers) has been very average at best. I won’t be buying any more until I hear otherwise.
I’d definitely say they’re my least favourite brewery in Guelph.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

sofakingdrunk wrote:^^^^
To be fair, I haven’t had that particular beer. But everything I’ve had from fixed gear(6-8 different beers) has been very average at best. I won’t be buying any more until I hear otherwise.
At $4.25/can I'd hope for something a lot better than average as well. I'm willing to pay that much but it'd better be an excellent beer, otherwise I'll stick with things like CA's Mash Up the Jam for $0.70 less per can.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

seangm wrote:
At $4.25/can I'd hope for something a lot better than average as well. I'm willing to pay that much but it'd better be an excellent beer, otherwise I'll stick with things like CA's Mash Up the Jam for $0.70 less per can.

Based on the other beers I’ve had from FG that’s probably about 1.00 too much. But keeping in line with their pricing.
Final straw for me was when I stopped in to the brewery for a drink, ordered a Pale Ale(don’t remember the name) was below average quality, about 12oz pour and something like 6$. Just wasn’t worth it IMO.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

seangm wrote:

Based on the other beers I’ve had from FG that’s probably about 1.00 too much. But keeping in line with their pricing.
Final straw for me was when I stopped in to the brewery for a drink, ordered a Pale Ale(don’t remember the name) was below average quality, about 12oz pour and something like 6$. Just wasn’t worth it IMO.

Masterplan
Bar Fly

Post by Masterplan »

Small Pony at the LCBO? Mares in a Jam.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Collective Arts Chocolate Blueberry Sour listed @ LCBO

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... sour-13682

NOT BEER

West Avenue Cider Heritage Dry also listed 8)

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... -dry-11172

this cider is made outside Hamilton and is REALLY good :oops:

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Blueberry, sour & cocoa? That sounds awful.

But it's a good brewery so I guess I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Someone please try one and report back!

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Craig wrote:Blueberry, sour & cocoa? That sounds awful.

But it's a good brewery so I guess I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt. Someone please try one and report back!

I’ll hop on this train as well. Not buying any, unless I hear good things.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

give it a chance. it's a sour, but it's a "Collective Arts sour" which is to say it probably won't be very sour at all and Blueberries are infused with chocolate or roasted malt all the time so it doesn't bother me.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

LOL Come on man, you've been an admin on BT how long now?

(Thanks for your efforts BTW...)

* edit * I've had excellent results blending boring leftover chocolatey-stout beer with boring leftover sour ales.
Sometimes you do get more that the sum of the parts.
Last edited by Belgian on Tue Dec 17, 2019 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

early reviews seem good.

https://untappd.com/b/collective-arts-b ... ur/3580400

Polkaroo uploaded a video

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Well Craig you're kind of half right, the cocoa nibs in this fine effort just get in the way of the blueberry-sour ale harmony. But with the blueberry it's helping me get my Seven A Day... and the initial sips are fairly interesting!

Worth trying one in good sport, and by no means difficult to put back. Cheers Colective Arts!
In Beerum Veritas