Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Craft Beer, Imports and Pumpkin Beers at the LCBO (Fall 2019)

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:It's a coffee bean and apricot pit IS (pretty sure it's normally called a stout despite what the LCBO says)

I find that interesting. Apricot pits? Like, not the fruit?
Some fruit pits like those of apricot impart a distinct almond flavor.

Remember that coffee 'beans' (& cocoa bean) are actually the 'pits' or seeds of fruits. There are also many similarities between compounds of various specific plants.
In Beerum Veritas

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

beerstodiscover wrote:Anyone try Rodenbach Alexander?

I am debating getting this vs. more Caractère Rouge.

Caractère Rouge: $8.70, 100% aged beer (30 months) with cherries, raspberries and cranberries, 7% abv
Alexander: $11.95, 66% aged (24 months) with cheeries, 5.6% abv
I am sipping one right now. It's been over twenty years since I last had this beer. As many know, it was discontinued, and more recently revived. When I first tried it, it was in my top 5 favourite beers. Although my palate may have changed since then, I can say the revived Alexander is similar to the ones I had so long ago. The only difference I can tell is perhaps a stronger cherry flavour. This is and was my favourite of the Rodenbach beers.

The Caractère Rouge is good, but I was a little let down with it. I found it more muted in taste than the Alexander. Alexander has a stronger lactic and acetic acid presence, but this is balanced by a stronger maltier fruitier taste. The stronger acidity is probably due to the fact it isn't completely aged. Think of a gueuze versus a straight lambic, and this approaches the kind of difference between Alexander and Caractere. I think the Alexander is well worth the more expensive price. All IMHO, of course.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

BartOwl wrote:I am sipping one right now...
Thanks. Sounds like it might be too sour for me... but maybe I'll pick on up to share

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

S. St. Jeb wrote:11695 De Moersleutel Dolle Dries 2 Imperial Porter - 440mL - Netherlands

This is now listed, but no stock showing. I'm looking forward to trying this based on style. Is anyone familiar with this brewery?
LCBO website still gives me a "not available at any stores" message but this one just hit the shelves at Vic Park + Ellesmere (and presumably elsewhere too), but damn it's $7.80 a can. I'll be sitting this one out unfortunately.

portwood

Post by portwood »

seangm wrote:LCBO website still gives me a "not available at any stores" message ...
LCBO, being LCBO
click on the "buy in-store (unavailable)" button with the red X, then click on "check all stores"
you should see a list of stores with quantities

quite often it looks like nothing in stock (red x with "(unavailable)" but they are actually available
@markhamwhisky

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

portwood wrote:
seangm wrote:LCBO website still gives me a "not available at any stores" message ...
LCBO, being LCBO
click on the "buy in-store (unavailable)" button with the red X, then click on "check all stores"

quite often it looks like nothing in stock (red x with "(unavailable)" but they are actually available
Yes, it's a little confusing that way.

Another possibility might be the browser you are using. I found that the LCBO site stopped giving inventory results on Internet Explorer, but works OK on Edge.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

portwood wrote:
LCBO, being LCBO

I got the stock not available message using the check all stores function for this one. That's typically how I check though and then just use the browser search for locations that I can get to. It's cumbersome but better than being told it's unavailable because my predetermined local store doesn't have stock.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

S. St. Jeb wrote:
portwood wrote:
LCBO, being LCBO

Yes, it's a little confusing that way.

Another possibility might be the browser you are using. I found that the LCBO site stopped giving inventory results on Internet Explorer, but works OK on Edge.
I'm on Chrome, haven't tried Edge yet. The search all stores typically works but strangely for this beer said not available. Maybe just a temporary glitch...

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

JaseWescott wrote:

10502 Black Isle Brewery Systems Theory Imperial Stout - 440mL - United Kingdom

Did this one ever make it on the shelves? I can't recall seeing it and don't see it listed online.

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

or this? Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA

portwood

Post by portwood »

spinrsx wrote:or this? Dogfish Head 90 Minute IPA
LCBO is putting it through their trademarked cellaring program to ensure the vintage reaches peak flavour :wink:
@markhamwhisky

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

portwood wrote:
LCBO is putting it through their trademarked cellaring program to ensure the vintage reaches peak flavour :wink:
Anyone know who are the importers of these two?
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

portwood wrote:
Although this ale does stand up to some careless ageing, and it would still be nice to get it late I have some doubts we'll see it.

The one time I had 120 minute it was a couple of years old, at BB and it was magical. Highly recommend.
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:
portwood wrote:
Although this ale does stand up to some careless ageing, and it would still be nice to get it late I have some doubts we'll see it.

The one time I had 120 minute it was a couple of years old, at BB and it was magical. Highly recommend.
this is how I described the 90 minute on untappd the only time I tried it back in 2016
"Orange, citrus oils, honey, phenolic. Sharp carbonation, bit boozy, syrupy, Orange peel. Slightly sour, grapefruit pith, resin dryness.
No doubt a great beer (probably worth a higher score) but feels boozy/sharp & a bit too syrupy for my taste"
@markhamwhisky

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

dale cannon wrote:
portwood wrote:
Anyone know who are the importers of these two?
Moosehead distributes for Sam Adams in CA, probably DFH too. we're through Fall, Holidays and halfway thru Winter. Belgian is right, I doubt it's still coming.