Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Technical question about gut bacteria...

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BeerIsGood

Technical question about gut bacteria...

Post by BeerIsGood »

I have been experimenting with eating more fermented foods in an effort to improve my gut flora. Alcohol in excess, of course, is harmful to the good flora of the gut. So, my question is, are there styles of beer which contain greater amounts of helpful gut bacteria? My gut (no pun intended) tells me that stronger Belgian styles and perhaps Saisons might fit the bill in this regard. Any thoughts or input on this topic?

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I want to warn you that I do not know what I'm talking about but....

I think gut bacteria mostly lives in a pH environment that is too acidic for most conventional strains. I think things with Brett or lacto are your best bet. Particularly anything wild fermented, because then you're not getting a blast of a single strain, but getting a bunch of different things.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Probiotics is what you’re looking for. (I’m a pharmacist)

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Homemade yogurt is a really healthy & tasty gut support food, and the best way is to incubate it in the oven for 12 hours. VERY high levels of beneficial cultures, low lactose, enjoyably tart.

You just need some very clean jars with lids, the milk & starter and the basic method > google 'oven light yogurt' (yes, just the light bulb in the lightly warmed oven will keep it going, although I usually wrap the jars in clean tea towels as well.)

In Beerum Veritas