Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Refined Fool Zane Lost His Avocado Bag Brut IPA

Described on the can as "This champagne-like IPA is a pale, dry, bubbly delight".

I was a little hesitant - I don't tend to like a lot of carbonation. But it was good. Description is accurate to me, so if that appeals to you, probably worth a try.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

ÇA Blueberry Sour With Cacao Nibs. I’m usually willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt on new beers and although I wouldn’t say I love this, it is highly drinkable. Also, it is at the low end of the sour spectrum, even when compared to their other sours, so it might be a good intro beer for those who might be a bit leery of the style.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BeerIsGood wrote:ÇA Blueberry Sour With Cacao Nibs. I’m usually willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt on new beers and although I wouldn’t say I love this, it is highly drinkable. Also, it is at the low end of the sour spectrum, even when compared to their other sours, so it might be a good intro beer for those who might be a bit leery of the style.
Agreed. It doesn't taste so much like a beer as a drink mixing preparation. It could use balance. I bet if I blended it 50/50 with something I find too boringly sour like Cascade Apricot that would be great.

I've been re-visiting the Collective Arts Project 11 and 12 IPAs and I like 'em.
In Beerum Veritas

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

At Bellwoods Brewery Hafis Road:
Bellwoods Triverse IPA (draft)
Bellwoods Barn Owl No. 19 (bottle sample)

Over the week at home:
Great Lakes Absacker Helles Lager
Junction Craft Sea Berry Sour
Great Lakes Dmitrij Fong Red IPA
Rainhard Armed 'N Sabro
Great Lakes RoboHop New England Imperial IPA
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Lake of the Woods Nautical Disaster Dry Hopped IPA

Given that my general memory of Lake of the Woods' beers is nothing better than average, and that this one wasn't really fresh, my expectations were low. I was pleasantly surprised. It was quite good.

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

At Pearson Airport drinking a Henderson Brewing Company Union Pearson Ale, which is very good. Found it at the Smoke’s Poutine place at the far end of the lower level of Terminal 3.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

BeerIsGood wrote:At Pearson Airport drinking a Henderson Brewing Company Union Pearson Ale, which is very good. Found it at the Smoke’s Poutine place at the far end of the lower level of Terminal 3.
Good to know. I haven't really had anything from Henderson impress me, but there is that situation where the best thing at the airport (or golf course) I'm at the time will have to do.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the week at home:
St. Feuillien Brune
Rainhard Pure. West. West Coast IPA
Unibroue La Résolution
Sawdust City Lone Pine IPA
Great Lakes Olde Man Lackey Olde Ale
Bellwoods An Imperial Stout With Coffee
Brasserie Dubuisson Scaldis Amber
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

How was the Old Man Lackey?

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Craig wrote:How was the Old Man Lackey?
Very good rep of the style, I thought. Full review here. Cheers!

BeerIsGood

Post by BeerIsGood »

Old Speckled Hen on tap in Gibraltar. It was extremely fresh.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Unibroue 25 anniversary beer.
Not sure what this one was like fresh, as I never tried one(or how long I’ve been holding on to it tbh). I seem to remember seeing some pretty mixed thoughts on it. I’m really enjoying it. Got the classic Unibroue house yeast background, with a strong(real)cherry flavour right up front. Mellowing out towards Flanders red territory before finishing with some bitter chocolate. I’ll admit, I was a bit scared to open this as I thought I may hate it....couldn’t be more wrong. Great drink.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Over the weekend at WVRST Union Station and C'est What?:
Pilsner Urquell (draft)
Clifford Dark Streets of London ESB (draft)
Left Field Greenwood IPA (draft)
Big Rig Alpha Bomb w/ Green Tea, Coconut & Citra (cask)
Indie Alehouse Shadow Chaser IPA (draft)

Over the week at home:
De Dolle Oerbier
Silversmith Problem Bears Black IPA
Petrus Nitro Quad

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Over the past couple weeks, lots of Barncat Pilsner. Absolutely top notch, a definately contender for the best made Ontario Pilsner, only a hair behind the first running of Fairweather Donna.....but better than the subsequent batche(s). A large step ahead of Bellweiser IMO. So crisp,clean and straight up delicious.

Also, a bit of Barncat Pulp. Also really good stuff. Not as mind blowing as the original batch, but still great. With it being canned this year, it’s good that more folks
Get to experience it. I think it may just be a case of exposure. Original pulp was an eye opener....since then I’ve had a lot of great ipa along the same lines. Throw in some Badlands, Fairweather, dominion city and other barncat stuff. Barncat is pumping out these ipa every couple of weeks that are basically right on par with Pulp.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

sofakingdrunk wrote: Barncat is pumping out these ipa every couple of weeks that are basically right on par with Pulp.
i greatly preferred the DIPA we released for growlers the week after pulp came out