Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Uncorked-Wine and Spirits Appreciation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Famille Perrin Les Christins Vacqueyras 2016

Here is another nice little Southern Rhône red. This one is a Vacqueyras AOC and a little more berry-bramble focused with a tinge of hot-climate ripeness therefore not as immediately, obviously dry as the Cayran Cotes-du-Rhône.

But lots of structure and enough tannins and acidity here. Notable sweet blueberry amidst the ripe cassis and sweet cherry, ripe black plum, blackberry. It's all summery warm climate fruit and good solid structure. Some smooth lightly peppery spice. It's really nice.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Belgian wrote:I would keep an eye out for the Fontanafredda Langhe Nebbiolo 2018 arriving next weekend, this was one of my favorites from last year.

It's got really nice nuances of 100% Piedmont Neb grape character yet more accessible for short-term drinking and at half the price of Baralo and Barbaresco.
This is showing up now, and the 2018 really delivers.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château de Montfaucon Baron Louis Lirac 2015

Dark garnet blend of 55% Grenache, 15% Cinsault, 15% Syrah, 10% Carignan, and 5% Mourvèdre. This Lirac is a fuller, rounder Southern Rhône red than I was expecting - deep dense red/black fruit and blackberry/blueberry compote, spicy oak. It justifies at least 5-6 more years in the bottle to hopefully get more complex. Good tannins and rooty herbals.

Dense palate of boldly ripe fruit & syrupy feel may be typical of Lirac reds, yet it dominates a bit too much, simplistic. I left a 1/5 empty bottle for a few days, it's still not drying up. The late finish is most interesting with the mingling of a little dry currant flavors and acidity. Aroma is complex and maybe a bit like right-bank Bordeaux (deep dark berry fruit, plum, oak.)

Still prefer the Perrin Les Christins Vacqueyras.

In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

My boss is trying to organize a scotch tasting for clients. Looking to pick up around 8 bottles in the $70-100 price range (although it would be fine to have an outlier or two of more expensive and/or some cheaper value options to keep things interesting). It will be a blind tasting, which should be fun. I think it would be best to try and get most of the different regions covered to help compare/contrast styles. I would welcome suggestions of good example bottles in that price range from those who are more experienced than me when it comes to scotch. Thanks!

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Provost Drunk wrote:My boss is trying to organize a scotch tasting for clients. Looking to pick up around 8 bottles in the $70-100 price range (although it would be fine to have an outlier or two of more expensive and/or some cheaper value options to keep things interesting). It will be a blind tasting, which should be fun. I think it would be best to try and get most of the different regions covered to help compare/contrast styles. I would welcome suggestions of good example bottles in that price range from those who are more experienced than me when it comes to scotch. Thanks!
How would one go about becoming an "honorary client" for this event? :D

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château Les Tourelles 2015

A pretty boring Bordeaux. It has some red and black fruit (cassis) and some light herbality. The overall result is a wine that's a bit too thin and dry and flat-tasting. I mean it's OK but you could buy a mouthwassh like this for a couple of Euro at budget Aldi supermarkets. $16 is honestly no real bargain.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Domaine de Joÿ Envie 2017

This white wine is from Gascony in the Southwest area best known for the region of Bordeaux. Decent, medium light body with some mineral and dry herbals, tart green tropical fruit and exotic lychee... some interesting catty notes, lemon curd and crisp acidity.

Gascony region produces simpler Vins de Table wines and also these Cotes de Gascogne are better grade Vins de Pays that are meant to adhere to stricter standards. It's not amazing but it very nicely meets the lowball $15 price point.

Also Cotes de Gascogne,tried this budget Red: Plaimont Colombelle Merlot/Tannat 2018
Good grape varieties so wanted to try - just really not into it, there's easily better for 12-15 dollars.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Abad Dom Bueno Mencía 2015 Mencia (Bierzo, Spain)

This is a solid bottle of red juice from Bierzo, Spain and this Mencia grape wine can use a few years to settle down.

Plenty of oak but not too much, a little woody and buttery over the deep plush blackberry and acidy cherry and currant fruit. This has been aged over 4 years, but could use the recommended additional 3 - for even with long aeration it remains a bit brash and youthful. Not necessarily have time for that collaring, but OK value.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Castelforte Valpolicella Ripasso 2016

This is a characterful and reasonably-priced Veneto wine, made by adding the spent skins of (partially dried) Amarone wine grapes to impart the 'Ripasso' flavour at a more everyday-budget cost. Has dark and dry berry, leather, oak, spice and herbal overtones. Fruit is blueberry, cassis, blackberry, cherry; this is actually a fascinating bottle of juice for 17.95. Equally old world / rustic and bright and fruity / jammy.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Piccini Impazzimento Governo all'uso 2017 Sangiovese Blend

Another good value Red from Tuscany, Italy that uses a method with some partially dried grapes. It's reallly tasty and full, some leathery notes, intense red berry and some florals with a younger and rounder profile than something like an Amarone Ripasso that could have more complexity.

Impazzimento I believe is a legal work-around to use a Ripasso- style method or similar on wines not officially associated with the official description. It's aiming for a less expensive market. So you win.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

2015 Belgian wrote:
2009 Belgian wrote:Now sipping Hauchat Fronsac, a good little $15 Bordeaux.
Has only gone up a buck or so after 6 years, still a nice sipper well under 20 bucks, properly put together Bordeaux with dryness structure and nuanced flavors.

I recommend this for its simplicity and versatility, rather than knocking you over it is pleasant.
The 2016 Hauchat Bordeaux is now 17.95' but they are clearing it out at Spadina and Front store for a little over 12 bucks.

Easy decision!

Update: yes, this is a fairly decent lighter Bordeaux red, with a nice hint of cedary herbs but mostly a fairly dry and acidic thing going on, you won't miss it if you don't get it.

Last edited by Belgian on Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château Magondeau Passion 2016 Fronsac

From the right bank area of Bordeaux they call Fronsac, this 100% Merlot is rich and round berry cherry with some balancing tannins, acid, hints tobacco spice and very fine oak. Got for 12 dollars off at Front and Spadina, could have aged this for better result. I'll let the bottle aerate.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Burmester 10-Year-Old Tawny Port
Thais fortified wine which I think is a good value came out today and may be selling fast. Be prepared - as a classic Port it is fairly sweet and dark-fruity (prune fig raisin) - plus some spicy & woody, a bit of beautiful savory-umami and nutty notes, butterscotch biscuit, subtle acid profile hints at tart tropical fruit. Despite the big sweet palate it's very 'moreish' & demands attention to explore its subtle layers as the finish builds over a few sips; this reveals a long and sonorous red grape note...

Finally opened a Burmester 20 year and it's very recognizable to the ten year. There are certainly added deeper layers of almost buttery toffee and deep complex fruit, it's a bit more raisiny, viscous and a touch warmer in the alcohol. Remember, as this develops in the cask the 'angel's share' of volume evaporates, leaving a denser product that is also more developed. Amazing. What we're you doing 1999?

The LCBO now only lists the recent new bottling of 10 year old (see link above) and at half the cost ($30) it remains quite a bargain. But so is the 20. The high QPR value of great Porto, Madeira and Sherry / Xerez is unquestionable. Salud.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Château La Fleur Grands Landes Montaigne St-Emillion 2015

A competent but average Merlot-focused (80%) Bordeaux red with a little Saint--Emillion right bank character. Some decent tanins and acidity, fruit has blueberry, sweet and tart Black Forest berry. Moderately decent value.

Clearly unfiltered wine because there are tartrite crystals in the last pour of the bottle.

In Beerum Veritas

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Ogier les Paillanches Crozes-Hermitage

Well I'm meant to open the Ch. Plaisance Bordeaux and I opened this by mistake. But no matter. Here is a classic Northern Rhône Syrah varietal red (something to be never dismissed lightly) which has both a little force and finesse. Pure Syrah, with violet and Licorice. It leans on rich black berry cherry fruit but also has some tannic dryness, acidity and brushy herbality. Anise. A whiff of alcohol and vanilla at this stage.

It has at least 5 years of potential cellar development to 2025. Yeah this is oretty good. The finish is nice. I'd buy more.

In Beerum Veritas