Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Juutsu seems to be all over the tap lists at local beer spots now. It's even a permanent listing at the Beerlab that just opened in Guelph. Like everything else, I find it typically has less of a difference vs the rest of the market on tap.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

The Jutsu is tasting great....seems to be a bit thinner than I remeber, but delicious none the less. That being said, not too sure how many more cans I’ll buy after these first two. We’ll see, as many beers are creeping up to this price point. I buy some of the Wellington releases right from the brewery at the same price point; and let’s be honest, as good as some of them are......they’re not Bellwoods level. Not even factoring in the shipping

S M A

Post by S M A »

I get my share bit of Bellwoods stuff. My take on their prices is that while their more limited stuff has gone up a fair bit, I think they have actually done pretty well with a lot of the rest. I say this because given how much craft beer prices overall have risen semi-recently, holding the line can almost be seen as a give-back. A fair number of IPAs are around $4-5 lately, most of BW's more substantial IPAs are at or near $6. And they did reduce the price by .25 after canning on Jutsu. Can't recall how much Roman Candle was, but I think $6.50 at least. It's $6 now for 473 mL. $4.50 for a lager may rub some the wrong way, but I'm a lager guy and to me they''re great. And lagers do take longer to brew.

I need to get a Jutsu. It's been a while and it is really interesting to try and compare it with its KGBO competition. Price/value comparisons are always interesting for beer. Import vs. local, all craft seemingly agreed like gas stations to raise prices about a year ago, etc.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

S M A wrote:I get my share bit of Bellwoods stuff. My take on their prices is that while their more limited stuff has gone up a fair bit, I think they have actually done pretty well with a lot of the rest. I say this because given how much craft beer prices overall have risen semi-recently, holding the line can almost be seen as a give-back. A fair number of IPAs are around $4-5 lately, most of BW's more substantial IPAs are at or near $6. And they did reduce the price by .25 after canning on Jutsu. Can't recall how much Roman Candle was, but I think $6.50 at least. It's $6 now for 473 mL. $4.50 for a lager may rub some the wrong way, but I'm a lager guy and to me they''re great. And lagers do take longer to brew.

I need to get a Jutsu. It's been a while and it is really interesting to try and compare it with its KGBO competition. Price/value comparisons are always interesting for beer. Import vs. local, all craft seemingly agreed like gas stations to raise prices about a year ago, etc.
I dunno, Canuck is $2.90/can and just as good as Jutsu, most of the IPAs I see in the $4-5 range for a 473 ml can are DIPAs. Lagers take more time to brew no doubt, but typically use less raw materials than heavily hopped, higher ABV IPAs so I imagine it balances out somewhat. Bellwoods is straight up expensive. I won't say overpriced because they charge what the market will bear, and people will decide with their wallets if it's worth it. Clearly they have since BW has remained very successful.

I just brought up Jutsu pricing inititally because now they've entered a new retail stream (LCBO) where a ~5% ABV pale ale at $4.50/can is the very upper end of the market. Not that ABV should be the all deciding factor in pricing either, but now you're in a space that has a lot more casual craft drinkers who might place higher importance on price.

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Blindman Brewing Longshadows IPA 7.1% ABV, from an Alberta brewery, coming to LCBO soon

https://www.lcbo.com/webapp/wcs/stores/ ... nOt4mZE200

S M A

Post by S M A »

seangm wrote:I dunno, Canuck is $2.90/can and just as good as Jutsu, most of the IPAs I see in the $4-5 range for a 473 ml can are DIPAs. Lagers take more time to brew no doubt, but typically use less raw materials than heavily hopped, higher ABV IPAs so I imagine it balances out somewhat. Bellwoods is straight up expensive. I won't say overpriced......

I just brought up Jutsu pricing inititally because now they've entered a new retail stream (LCBO) where a ~5% ABV pale ale at $4.50/can is the very upper end of the market.
Yes, I don't think anyone would ever argue that Bellwoods is not at or near the top of the price spectrum. They're clearly $1-2 higher on all their regular stuff, even more on some other stuff. The question is, of course, whether one considers it worth it or not.

For me, it often is. For their regular stuff, not as often now for their higher test/price stuff. But I do think that their beers are of reliably high quality.

But I'm not really applying that to Jutsu, like I said. It's not one I drink much anymore. And yes, most ~$5 IPAs are nominally DIPAs. But... a lot of regular BW productions are of similar ABV, so I consider them direct competitors. Like Witchshark 9%/~$6, Roman Candle 6.8%/$6, Goblin Sauce ~8%/~$7, Ghost Orchid ~7%/$6. So often maybe a buck more.

Re: Jutsu/Canuck, I wouldn't really compare the two. But I totally get what you're saying, I have no doubt that I could find a few IPAs at the BO for $1 less that I'd like roughly as well. I also agree that putting Jutsu in the LCBO will be interesting, especially in a while when any novelty is gone. Putting their lagers there would be even more interesting. Doubtful that they would fare well in the wider market vs. imports, as much as I like them. But hey, some things are meant to be niche.

Edit: Adding the 'D' to DIPA. And, seeing the post above just made me realize that this is the New Arrivals thread that we've completely hijacked. Oh well, at least some activity.
Last edited by S M A on Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

One thing you can argue, just philosophically is that paying top buck for Bellwoods Jutsu probably helps them sustain their far more radical and exceptional offerings - and that's even in really good economic times. In recent days brewers may face sustained economic shocks that (for all we know) could take years to repair.

Brew pubs are losing bar staff and sit-down traffic as we speak. Maybe taking home some brews from your local brew bar or other small brewery store is a small action making a big difference.
In Beerum Veritas

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Some people buy Stella while others buy Canadian and some buy Laker. Drink what you like and can afford.
THE END. Geez.
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Some people buy Stella while others buy Canadian and some buy Laker. Drink what you like and can afford.
THE END. Geez.
dont bring that logic round here, its not welcomed in these parts

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:Some people buy Stella while others buy Canadian and some buy Laker. Drink what you like and can afford.
THE END. Geez.
What's your line of work Matt? Only curious!
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I don't know why people are getting snarky. Everyone has agreed that juutsu is good, Bellwoods can charge what they want and should charge what they can. I don't get why talking about price points is a touchy subject.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

S M A wrote:
seangm wrote:I dunno, Canuck is $2.90/can and just as good as Jutsu, most of the IPAs I see in the $4-5 range for a 473 ml can are DIPAs. Lagers take more time to brew no doubt, but typically use less raw materials than heavily hopped, higher ABV IPAs so I imagine it balances out somewhat. Bellwoods is straight up expensive. I won't say overpriced......

I just brought up Jutsu pricing inititally because now they've entered a new retail stream (LCBO) where a ~5% ABV pale ale at $4.50/can is the very upper end of the market.
Yes, I don't think anyone would ever argue that Bellwoods is not at or near the top of the price spectrum. They're clearly $1-2 higher on all their regular stuff, even more on some other stuff. The question is, of course, whether one considers it worth it or not.

For me, it often is. For their regular stuff, not as often now for their higher test/price stuff. But I do think that their beers are of reliably high quality.

But I'm not really applying that to Jutsu, like I said. It's not one I drink much anymore. And yes, most ~$5 IPAs are nominally DIPAs. But... a lot of regular BW productions are of similar ABV, so I consider them direct competitors. Like Witchshark 9%/~$6, Roman Candle 6.8%/$6, Goblin Sauce ~8%/~$7, Ghost Orchid ~7%/$6. So often maybe a buck more.

Re: Jutsu/Canuck, I wouldn't really compare the two. But I totally get what you're saying, I have no doubt that I could find a few IPAs at the BO for $1 less that I'd like roughly as well. I also agree that putting Jutsu in the LCBO will be interesting, especially in a while when any novelty is gone. Putting their lagers there would be even more interesting. Doubtful that they would fare well in the wider market vs. imports, as much as I like them. But hey, some things are meant to be niche.

Edit: Adding the 'D' to DIPA. And, seeing the post above just made me realize that this is the New Arrivals thread that we've completely hijacked. Oh well, at least some activity.
Yes, it seems maybe this thread has been derailed a bit haha. It's been a bit quiet on the forums lately anyway (and now life in general), so a little activity isn't so bad.

The important thing is the we still seem to be able to get beer for the time being, so to Belgian's point we should all do our best to support our locals during this unprecedented slowdown.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Belgian wrote:
THE END. Geez.
What's your line of work Matt? Only curious!
I was a beer rep for 6ish years, but the last few years I’ve been in the feed industry as a transport supervisor. Why do you ask?
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

S M A

Post by S M A »

Craig wrote:I don't get why talking about price points is a touchy subject.
I also have never understood this. But it seems pretty consistent. When people start talking about price/value, some get a bit touchy. Why? The beer marketplace is interesting, especially these days with so many options.

Totally worth discussing. In fact, some breweries on the very good end of the quality/price spectrum -like, say, Barncat for instance- would probably do well to encourage this sort of chat. Just saying, ha.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

Agreed! A growler of Barncat IIPA is pretty good bang for your buck! Also the best IPAs in Ontario, for my money.