Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

New Arrivals at LCBO & TBS

This forum is for discussing everything beer retail: LCBO, Beer Store, Grocery Stores and Indie Stores.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Just got back from doing a quick brewery tour since I had nothing going on today.. Wanted to do Barncat, Jackass, Short Finger, and Counter Point.. I've just been into the hazes and DIPA's lately, sick of the sours and winter styles (expensive too)

Barncat I'm there fairly often. hit nice and early, they've got the desk pushed right to the door and created a good system to create space between everyone. I walked in on another guy paying and he scored a free bottle from the guy working, jealous

JackAss, my first time there, service was fantastic. Girl was super friendly, and the guys were all there working. Good spirits in there and they are still pouring as many tasters as you can handle in disposable cups, very different environment for sure. I grabbed their only two IPA's

Short Finger - this place is weird. They sort of seemed like they forgot they sold beer and weren't expecting any customers? Had to sort of "off the cuff" explain what they had, and I don't even think it was accurate. Left without buying anything

Counter Point - closed until 4, no good

pickups: Barncat - the juice, what hops are in this? (mystery hop trio), and some very expensive west coast IPA @ $10/750ml .. Jackass - SunKiss NEIPA and Bayou APA

Cheers!

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Oops, that post has nothing to do with LCBO and TBS. Sorry about that, I haven't logged in here in a long time but wasn't sure where the good discussions at these days

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

I’ve not even heard of the other three aside from Barncat. Will do some research thanks!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

MatttthewGeorge wrote:
Belgian wrote:
MatttthewGeorge wrote:Some people buy Stella while others buy Canadian and some buy Laker. Drink what you like and can afford.
THE END. Geez.
What's your line of work Matt? Only curious!
I was a beer rep for 6ish years, but the last few years I’ve been in the feed industry as a transport supervisor. Why do you ask?
Ah I thought you were once in brewing or something.
In Beerum Veritas

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

GtownRandy wrote:I’ve not even heard of the other three aside from Barncat. Will do some research thanks!

Short finger has some really interesting stuff. My(very limited, only 4 different beers) experience with counterpoint is that their stuff is quite decent...but for me, not worth the high price point. Jackass is very average and probably the bottom of the barrel for me in Cambridge. Gave them
A few chances, but it’s never clicked. With Barncat,wavemaker,North works, and soon to be- Revernence, and Sparrow. Jackass just isn’t even close to my radar.
Last edited by sofakingdrunk on Sun Sep 10, 2023 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

Aye, the Jackass brews we got into last night were not my favorites.. Sun Kiss IPA wasn't particularly juicy or tropical, but dry, bitter, and malty? Color was dark too. Odd

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

"soon to be revenance and sparrow"

oh sweet, do we have more stuff coming to k/w ?

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

duckdown wrote:"soon to be revenance and sparrow"

Both in the works for Cambridge.
As far as I know Reverence will be focussing in barrel aged stuff. Sparrow is a coffee
Roaster/brewery. Already offering some
Damn delicious coffee online.

matt7215
Beer Superstar

Post by matt7215 »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
duckdown wrote:"soon to be revenance and sparrow"

Both in the works for Cambridge.
As far as I know Reverence will be focussing in barrel aged stuff. Sparrow is a coffee
Roaster/brewery. Already offering some
Damn delicious coffee online.
the foundry is coming as well

http://foundrybrewing.ca/

they might actually be first to open

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

maybe we'll get Parabola too? :)

Firestone Lager by Firestone Walker Brewing Company
Lager - Helles / $15.45 (6 x 355 mL can) / California, USA

This sounds good:

Rye On Rye 6 by Boulevard Brewing Co.
Rye Beer / $5.25 (355 mL bottle) / USA

GtownRandy

Post by GtownRandy »

Good deal on Amsterdam Boneshaker 7.1% IPA at the Beer Store currently. $68 for 24 works out to $2.83 a can. That makes it a top 10 value.

https://www.thebeerstore.ca/beers/amste ... haker-ipa/

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

GtownRandy wrote:Good deal on Amsterdam Boneshaker 7.1% IPA at the Beer Store currently. $68 for 24 works out to $2.83 a can. That makes it a top 10 value.

Mad Tom also 5 bucks off a case, $65.95 for 24 x 473 ml. $0.75/can savings off a singles price, so not bad.

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

GtownRandy wrote:Good deal on Amsterdam Boneshaker 7.1% IPA at the Beer Store currently. $68 for 24 works out to $2.83 a can. That makes it a top 10 value.

Man, great value there. Wish I could find something NEIPA and fresh at that price I’d be all over it

duckdown

Post by duckdown »

seangm wrote:

Mad Tom also 5 bucks off a case, $65.95 for 24 x 473 ml. $0.75/can savings off a singles price, so not bad.
Thanks! Post ALL IPA DEALS!

spinrsx
Beer Superstar

Post by spinrsx »

nice to see Stone back at the lcbo

Stone Tropic of Thunder Lager by Stone Brewing
Lager - Pale / $4.95 (568 mL can) / California, USA