Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Ontario Beer Delivery Index

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Ontario Beer Delivery Index

Post by Cass »

Hey guys, how is everyone? Hope you all are surviving well through these times.

I made this in case you haven't seen it - a list of all the breweries where I could find information about home delivery. Support your locals!

http://www.obdi.ca

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

This is awesome, Cass. Thanks for this!

And now that this news has broke, it's going to change the retail landscape for a while: https://www.thestar.com/politics/provin ... -beer.html

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

A fantastic resource. Thank you Cass.

Also glad to see the province doing the right thing for bars and restaurants. Anything that can help ease the financial losses they are experiencing is a good thing in my books.
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

While I'm happily depleting my built up stock...I will take advantage of this before too long.
Great work!

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

A great resource - thanks Cass! Received my order from Sawdust City yesterday. Just as a note, I believe all orders that would have been sign at the door delivery are no directly routed to your local post office, so while this will allow us to access a lot of delicious beer, it's not going to cut out a trip. I'm lucky that the local post office is in a Shoppers, so I could combine my visit with grabbing some milk and other items we were low on. If I just had to go to a regular post office I'd think twice - as much as I love beer, that kind of thing strikes me as the definition of a non-essential trip.

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

That dissuaded me from ordering from a brewery too. Instead I went to a local brewery bottle shop. I figure one way they package it mail it, it goes to a post office and I have to go stand in line to get it, each step being extra contact for people along the way. The other way I go direct to the brewery, and there's only the one contact between me and the person who rings me up. If I have to go to the post office, I may as well go to the LCBO.

But I'm close to a few decent breweries. The risk:reward changes if you aren't.

MattS

Post by MattS »

Maybe it's just my local post office, but my order was just left by the front door today - no signature or ID required.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

MattS wrote:Maybe it's just my local post office, but my order was just left by the front door today - no signature or ID required.
:o

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:if I have to go to the post office, I may as well go to the LCBO.

But I'm close to a few decent breweries.
This.

Canada Post would make me drive to that stupid Terry Town post outlet in Scarborough for this like they do when I have to pay some petty import duty fee. I don't like doing free work aon top of paying for the convenience postage.

I'd just as soon go to the Godspeed bottle Shop or the LC at Queen and Coxwell.
In Beerum Veritas

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

MattS wrote:Maybe it's just my local post office, but my order was just left by the front door today - no signature or ID required.
Same here. Two orders now through Canada Post dropped off at my door, no signature/ID/anything.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

I've ordered a few, only one slipped through. The odd thing is, I have a concerige that signs for the packages. Canada post refuses to even take them off the truck. My delivery guy chatted with me and said two levels of his supervisors won't authorize even a concierge drop off. What's funny is, the one that did slip through came the same time as a package that sat on the truck. I'm wondering if some breweries are forgetting to tick off the 19+ flag when creating the labels? Plus, Canada Post is getting bogged down with deliveries, there are week long hold ups at the Cambridge and Mississauga facilties (I live downtown Toronto in the core).

Also, several breweries have shifted to Canpar. So far these have shipped blazing fast, and no issues upon delivery.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Napalm Frog wrote:
MattS wrote:
Also, several breweries have shifted to Canpar. So far these have shipped blazing fast, and no issues upon delivery.
Quick Google search shows Spearhead, Grain & Grit and Cowbell are using Canpar. Anyone else? I wish Dominion and Sawdust would switch over to Canpar.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

Gedge wrote:
Napalm Frog wrote:
MattS wrote:
Quick Google search shows Spearhead, Grain & Grit and Cowbell are using Canpar. Anyone else? I wish Dominion and Sawdust would switch over to Canpar.
Half Hours and Bellwoods just switched last week. Gateway in North Bay uses Canpar, too - the New Zealand Pils is a killer must grab. (Note, this is my own epxerience, I'm not sure if they switched over 100% or using two services to augment eachother.)

MattS

Post by MattS »

Gedge wrote:
Napalm Frog wrote:
MattS wrote:
Just had a Sawdust delivery as well - this one I had to go to the post office. Strange. Doesn't seem that we're having significant delays in Grey County for Canada Post - both arrived within two days of dispatch.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Has anyone received their Motley Cru order yet?

I ordered Saturday morning a few minutes after it went live. I got a message saying ‘it was on its way’ on Monday afternoon with an expected delivery of Tuesday. No updates since then and still showing expected delivery as Tuesday the 7th!

I’m in no rush and expect that things are taking longer to be delivered these days. Just wondering if anyone else has recieved their box. I’ll inquire Friday if I don’t get it today.

It looks like it is shipping from a warehouse in Etobicoke according to the Arrive app. I thought that was interesting.

Cheers.