Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Nickel Brook Heavy Metal DIPA - at 85 IBU it is close to the level of hop flavour of Headstock a few years ago. I remember Headstock having a similar IBU, but the last couple of times I tried it, it seemed less intense. Inconsistency or change in recipe? I don't know. However, I am glad to have Heavy Metal available, and I will seek it out over Headstock. Yum.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

I am now quaffing an Unibroue Autre Chose IPA a la peche, purchased from the LCBO. The strong peaches taste/aroma goes well with the citrus fruit hop tastes, an earthiness, and a yeasty spiciness. There is a lot going on in the palette, and it is all well balanced. I recommend it.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

BartOwl wrote:I am now quaffing an Unibroue Autre Chose IPA a la peche, purchased from the LCBO. The strong peaches taste/aroma goes well with the citrus fruit hop tastes, an earthiness, and a yeasty spiciness. There is a lot going on in the palette, and it is all well balanced. I recommend it.

I was quite impressed with this one. Enjoyed it more than I thought I would.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

BartOwl wrote:I am now quaffing an Unibroue Autre Chose IPA a la peche, purchased from the LCBO. The strong peaches taste/aroma goes well with the citrus fruit hop tastes, an earthiness, and a yeasty spiciness. There is a lot going on in the palette, and it is all well balanced. I recommend it.
Looking forward to this!

Also enjoying the Meuse Saison drinking fantastically after an afternoon hike.
Now chilling down a Nickel Brook Glory and Gold, some kind of old ale:
Notes: This complex reserve ale is the embodiment of triumph, and a fearless approach to blended beer. Our base blended ale is combined with an intricate mixture of sweet malts, fruits, spices and herbs before it’s aged in Kentucky bourbon barrels for two years. The result of this gradual and elaborate process is a magnificently decadent beer that tastes just like victory should. Punchy notes of citrus, tobacco, orange peel, vanilla, and fruit, finish with a tart and funky kick to marry the oak and bourbon introduced from the barrels.

My review:
Bottle on clearance at Summerhill LCBO. Great aroma! Regal pale fruit tartness and dried fruit. Flavor suggests a more challenging dryness presenting herbals and slightly tannic but mature oak barrel, pale fruit tartness, brett and hop. There is candied lemon and Dark dried fruit and kola herbals under this. Leather. Notable acidity, dryness and full palate. A slight boozy chase. It's a good one. Best attribute: nose with density and complexity.
In Beerum Veritas

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Flying Monekys Psycho Thrill Seeker is a DIPA with coriander and lemon peel. Luckily, the coriander and lemon peel do not overpower the hop taste. I'd have to try this side-by-side with Nickel Brook Metal Head DIPA to tell which I like better, but I think I like thrill seeker a little more.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

BartOwl wrote:Flying Monekys Psycho Thrill Seeker is a DIPA with coriander and lemon peel. Luckily, the coriander and lemon peel do not overpower the hop taste. I'd have to try this side-by-side with Nickel Brook Metal Head DIPA to tell which I like better, but I think I like thrill seeker a little more.
Agreed, I really enjoyed the thrill seeker, while I was a bit let down by the metal head. I got a lot of pith bitterness coming through on the FM which I think is what sold me. The corriandwr is absolutely not noticeable. One I’ll Definately be buying more of.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Nickel Brook Cafe Del Bastardo 2019.

I highly recommend this, especially if you enjoy an espresso in the middle of the day...
I can pour myself a small glass over days and then skip the espresso bar.

3 Fonteinen Cuvee Armand & Gaston Geuze

Wow, this is really great. Super dry and of course 'sourhead sour.' Layers of mineral, gentle funk and lemon. Very long dry acidity, kind of a lemon candy powder thing, hard to describe but delicious. Thank you Fonteinen! This may be my first Drei and I like.

Last edited by Belgian on Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

BartOwl wrote:Flying Monekys Psycho Thrill Seeker is a DIPA with coriander and lemon peel. Luckily, the coriander and lemon peel do not overpower the hop taste. I'd have to try this side-by-side with Nickel Brook Metal Head DIPA to tell which I like better, but I think I like thrill seeker a little more.
I enjoyed a Thrill Seeker very much today. I'm glad they were very subtle with the adjuncts.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted — Lovely soft mouthfeel on this, very close to a cask experience. Solid British golden ale. Very sessionable, 330 ml is just not enough, so buy extra.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

beerstodiscover wrote:Harviestoun Bitter & Twisted — Lovely soft mouthfeel on this, very close to a cask experience. Solid British golden ale. Very sessionable, 330 ml is just not enough, so buy extra.

Is this back??? I remeber having it years ago, enjoyed it but didn’t think it was anything special. I was a big fan of their Ola Dubh series.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Had the Collective Arts Project IIPA #13 - nice! It won't shock you, it's just a very enjoyablee one for summer.

Having the Kuchlbauer Turmweisse Hefeweizen, this is fine but not exceptional drinking despite the cool Hundertwasser label. Actually, I have been to this tower in Bavaria. Has the expected tiny bit of clove and some banana popsicle nuances and wheat malt sweetness, overall very safe and sweet, completely inoffensive, non-lemony and a bit dilute. There is a hint of smoky grain like wood-oven bread.

An interchangeable Weisse for the patio that does nothing particularly well, thanks LCBO!

In Beerum Veritas

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

sofakingdrunk wrote:Is this back??? I remeber having it years ago, enjoyed it but didn’t think it was anything special. I was a big fan of their Ola Dubh series.
Yes, and it’s not mind blowing. The cask mouthfeel is the main draw for me. I’m planning on grabbing more when I can.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

The latest release of Surround Sound is really working for me.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

Tapsucker wrote:The latest release of Surround Sound is really working for me.
It’s outstanding. Such a unique taste to it. Probably the best beer I’ve ever had from CA

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

sofakingdrunk wrote:
Tapsucker wrote:The latest release of Surround Sound is really working for me.
It’s outstanding. Such a unique taste to it. Probably the best beer I’ve ever had from CA
Life In The Clouds, it's absolutely fantastic.
The recipe might be a bit lighter than I recall (or not) but it's also a more manageable ABV if I want to enjoy freely!
Last edited by Belgian on Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
In Beerum Veritas