Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Grand River Brewing

Discuss anything and everything about craft brewers from Ontario here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

midlife crisis wrote:
Yes, good adds. I liked a strong bitter or old ale Niagara did, as I recall,though the name escapes me. Brick's Bock was quite nice for a little while.

I thought of Granite, which I immediately loved, but in those days you couldn't get them "to go", so think of it more as a destination. Same with Denisons of course.
I'm guessing you are referring to Gritstone. That was a fine beer.
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Tapsucker wrote:
midlife crisis wrote:
Yes, good adds. I liked a strong bitter or old ale Niagara did, as I recall,though the name escapes me. Brick's Bock was quite nice for a little while.

I thought of Granite, which I immediately loved, but in those days you couldn't get them "to go", so think of it more as a destination. Same with Denisons of course.
I'm guessing you are referring to Gritstone. That was a fine beer.
Yes, Gritstone was very good.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

What a retro discussion! I drank Gritstone sometimes, also Niagara Trapper Lager.

Way early on I liked Connor's Best Bitter even more than Gritstone, and Algonquin Country Lager which was hazy and unfiltered, making it seem more natural.

Upper Canada was a trainwreck of often good beers that could be horribly inconsistent. Sleeman made them better when they were bought.
Remember Upper Canada Rebellion?
In Beerum Veritas

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

I remember drinking Gritstone fondly, as well as Conner's Best Bitter, Wellington Best Bitter, and who can forget Dragon's Breath Pale Ale. DBPA was a very hoppy beer for the time. How times have changed.

Gedge
Bar Fly

Post by Gedge »

Remember when Mill St. Tankhouse was actually pretty decent?

Also, Sgt. Major.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Belgian wrote:What a retro discussion! I drank Gritstone sometimes, also Niagara Trapper Lager.

Way early on I liked Connor's Best Bitter even more than Gritstone, and Algonquin Country Lager which was hazy and unfiltered, making it seem more natural.

Upper Canada was a trainwreck of often good beers that could be horribly inconsistent. Sleeman made them better when they were bought.
Remember Upper Canada Rebellion?
I actually got to drink a lot of Rebellion and other Upper Canada in the 80's. It was a bit pricey for my budget in those days, but for a brief while I had a roommate that worked there in some admin capacity. He didn't drink and my other roommates were not into beer, so he would bring home his weekly 'employee supply' and give ti to me. It was a terrible arrangement. 8)
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Gedge wrote:Remember when Mill St. Tankhouse was actually pretty decent?

Also, Sgt. Major.
Yes, but I'd say these came along in a much later wave.
Scotch Irish was great. I'd love to refresh my memory on their beers to see how they would fit in with my palete today .
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Andicus
Bar Fly

Post by Andicus »

Gedge wrote:Remember when Mill St. Tankhouse was actually pretty decent?

Also, Sgt. Major.
I remember this, well. It was still decent, IMHO, until they switched to 'Organic.' Definitely downhill after that. After I tried the first one, I bought most of the old recipe Tankhouse I could find, around town.

As it had been my go-to everyday beer for about 13 years, I adapted to the new recipe, but it's very inconsistent. A lot of foamy batches, and a 'good' batch is just okay.

The baffling part is that I've been having trouble even finding it, locally (St. Catharines), lately. One would think Labatt would have a decent distribution network, but it has been noticeably less available since the buyout.

And, yeah, Sgt. Major! Somebody get Perry brewing again. I'll drink to that!