Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Is Hart Amber Ale still produced?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sstackho
Bar Fly

Is Hart Amber Ale still produced?

Post by sstackho »

I recently had the inkling to drink some Hart, and realized that I hadn't been tempted by it in my beer store for a while. I check on www.thebeerstore.ca and it doesn't appear to be available at all any more.

Does anyone know if Hart has bit the dust, sadly, once again?

PRMason
Bar Fly

Post by PRMason »

Sad to say Hart is down for the count, this time for good. Banks Canada, which held the brewing license, surrendered this license 6 months ago (more or less). Whatever Hart beers you may find on the shelves are now old code.
For what it is worth, the beers were not very good under Banks' management, so don't cry too many tears.
"Every day above ground is a good one."

JerCraigs
Beer Superstar

Post by JerCraigs »

The last bottle of Hart product I attempted to drink exploded out of the bottle and got dumped down the drain after tasting it. It was pretty infected, and that was in the summer.

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

:cry: oh well...

My father used to complain that half of the time you would get a bad batch with Hart, like it was flat and not bottled properly. I never had that happen to me. Although now that you mention it, JerCraigs, I certainly recall it to often be a "foamer" upon opening.

I quite enjoyed Hart. But I suppose you need more than five people liking a beer to keep it alive. :-?

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

There are certainly enough GOOD Ontario beers worth keeping alive, by remembering to grab the odd six-pack, and of course some gentle proselytizing amongst good friends!! :wink:

Speaking of converting the masses,

I recently created a 'beer basket' with 12 select Belgians for my father's 60'th birthday, ie. think 'fruit basket' but with far more Noble contents! It looked fantastic all put together and was extremely well received. He'd never heard of Saison or Gueuze so it's quite a journey.

I thought just now, hmm. maybe next Xmas I'll split up a bunch of Ontario Micro six-packs and do something like this for some friends - it could include Sgt Majors, Iron Duke, Creemore UrBock, some Black Oak, Tankhouse, and one or two others... this is actually a really neat gift to receive, both visually and from the excitement of trying all these premium products.

Then they may actually seek out the ones they most crave, and our BarTowel vision of good beer taking over the world may come true.
In Beerum Veritas

sstackho
Bar Fly

Post by sstackho »

My favourite gifts I've received are beer. You can guarantee it will get used!

My dad never gives gift suggestions. One year, I went to LCBO and grabbed a bunch of singles and made a "tasting notes" page to go along with it. He loved it. Even my mom got involved - writing down his comments on the tasting notes sheet (comments like "Skunky - excellent" :)) . He found a few new favourites.

JWalter

Post by JWalter »

sstackho wrote: writing down his comments on the tasting notes sheet (comments like "Skunky - excellent" :)) . He found a few new favourites.
Don't forget "Horseblanket" !

... Apologies for the inside joke... I just remember wha a laugh I got when I read a post that described a beer with that noun, what would the adjective be, Horseblankety? Ha!

Getting back to the thread - I was a BIG fan of Dragon's Breath Pale Ale which was contracted brewed through Hart, and I love the idea of the basket of beer - You could also use a steel bucket - which could then be filled with ice - *OR* used to provide water to the horse with the blanket... Ha!

Cheers!
Bored Silly? Check out my blog... http://geeksjournal.blogspot.com