Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Spending/Drinking More or Less on Beer during Pandemic?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Spending/Drinking More or Less on Beer during Pandemic?

Post by El Pinguino »

Curious how people feel their drinking habits have changed in recent months?

Were you desperate to get out to a restaurant for a pint and food during Stage 3? Were you ordering beers to go from your favourite bars?

I've ordered beers online from many breweries I might not have otherwise (Bell City, Sleeping Giant, Royal City, Bobcaygeon...)

For me...I would say overall I've been drinking less, and definitely been spending less.

Kind of enjoying spending time on other hobbies, and having more $$ to save if my situation gets worse.

I will reluctantly admit I have little desire to visit any restaurants, bars and breweries anytime soon, other than to pickup stuff to go.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

I think my overall consumption has been down, but I have probably purchased/drank the same amount of retail beer. Not visiting at bars/breweries/restos has been good for my wallet. I also ordered from some brewers I had long been wanting to try (HHOE and Dominion City).

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm kinda alternating between drinking more and drinking less. I find when I work all day at home for some reason I'm more inclined to have a couple in the evening. So I do that for a bit, then stop entirely for a bit, then start again. It'll be interesting what happens when the weather cools off, because it's often things like mowing the lawn or sitting on the deck in the sun that makes me want a nice, cold beer.

I'm spending less though, because of the no bars. I'm also ordering from breweries more and going to the LCBO less, which I think also results in less expensive beer. I've been drinking more $3 cans and less $8 bottles.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

Drinking more, but then again, I have 3 young kids at home so that explains it...

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Consumption hasn't really changed. Most of mine is at home, so not being able to go to restaurants/bars has had negligible effect. Didn't purchase much in April/May, ran down the inventory. Pretty much back to normal the last couple of months.

Coronaeus

Post by Coronaeus »

Drinking less, but spending a lot more. The lambic available to go in the city has been hard to pass up. Who’d of thunk a year ago you’d be able to buy multiples of bottles like Iris and Vigneronne ‘off the shelf’ in Ontario!

I’ve also been doing more trading, particularly internationally. The low prices on some bourbons here that are hard to get in many States and the really low price on Utopias has allowed me to stock up on more lambic and big US Barleywines I’d otherwise have trouble getting.

My boredom has also led me to start playing in a couple of the razzle groups i havepreviously only lurked in. I’ve only won three times, but one of those wins was for a Cantillon Menu Pineau. I’m still ahead slightly monetarily, I think, but it is fun to play regardless. Some of the charity auctions have been great too.

I think my spending has gone up five-fold or more...

Now all I need is to find a good bottle share once the virus moves on!

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

El Pinguino wrote:Curious how people feel their drinking habits have changed in recent months?
Much more discreet enjoyment in parks, by shorelines etc.
I've new at that, but the city probably doesn't care so long as one is being socially considerate.
Also restrooms are everywhere if you know where trees are... so fed up with stores.
Were you desperate to get out to a restaurant for a pint and food during Stage 3? Were you ordering beers to go from your favourite bars?
No, but the Saulter Street seating was so open airy and inviting I went there. Also did some meet-ups.
For me...I would say overall I've been drinking less, and definitely been spending less.
I'd say drinking a little more when active, or occasionally when unwinding cooking at home.
I've also developed an expensive fresh salmon habit with Hooked.
Kind of enjoying spending time on other hobbies, and having more $$ to save if my situation gets worse.
Hikes. Getting outside more is better than staying in... and pack a cold one sometimes.
May we all come out of this OK.
I will reluctantly admit I have little desire to visit any restaurants, bars and breweries anytime soon, other than to pickup stuff to go.

Yes, I often support local brew shops for their better hours & better beer.
They must be busy on Mondays!
In Beerum Veritas

Provost Drunk

Post by Provost Drunk »

Drinking more but probably spending a little bit less on balance. I would say it's more of a re-allocation of my alcohol funds away from bars/restaurants to the LCBO and breweries with some net reductions overall by paying fewer bar premiums. My home bar has also expanded greatly as I have been working on my cocktail making game. Much easier to justify picking up a few bottles of obscure liquors/liqueurs knowing how much cheaper it is to mix drinks at home.

Staying more housebound has given me a chance to free up some room in the cellar. And I've discovered online ordering to supplement my reserves. I hadn't experimented with that before the pandemic as I live in Toronto and there are enough good breweries that I can visit directly and I also have access to some of the better LCBOs. But I've done some joint orders with friends from Willibald and Dominion City as well as some pick-ups from Third Moon. It has been nice to get a better flavour for the Ontario brewing scene outside of TO.

I am also really enjoying the ability to buy bottles/can to go from some of the finer beer bars in the city. Yes, there is a cost associated with buying from bars, but it's a great way to access beers that aren't otherwise available. I hope this change becomes permanent in the post-pandemic world.

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Drinking and spending quite a bit less, as I went three weeks without imbibing after the Civic holiday. Also taking a break from Untappd and Beer Advocate after catching up on backlogged reviews earlier this year. And I've been posting on here less often, too.

There's only been a handful of beers that have genuinely impressed me in the last while – Great Lakes 2010 West Coast IPA, Rainhard House Band NEIPA, a draft lager from Godspeed - which might be a sign that it's time to change things up.

I've been pondering a temporary switch to wine. My wife and I have a collection of reds that were gifted to us at our wedding. Many of them are 10+ years old. She doesn't like red wine, and has given me the green light to try them. I'm thinking that might be a good place to start for something new/different, and if it proves fruitful, the Uncorked thread has limitless recommendations for where to go from there. :lol:
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Sad thing. I actually don't know!

I mostly drink my own homebrew, and I am brewing more often, but I'm also sharing more. I couldn't really tell you if more is going in me or to my friends/family. I'm definitely low on supplies. I'm kind of embarrassed to admit that I haven't kept proper track of my input costs and inventory. As a businessperson you'd think I'd do better. On the other hand, why ruin a perfectly good hobby by treating it like a business...

I'm also a poor accountant when it comes to the LCBO. That's for a different reason. I am spending more there, but I'm also regularly shopping for a couple people who can't get out and carry large loads. I've been doing that since pre-plague, but it used to be they hand me cash and I fetch. Now I have to buy cashless, they hand me cash and I lose track of it. My bad.

As for bars, I prefer to socialize outdoors anyway, so whether it's a patio or a green space, it doesn't matter so much. This summer green space won. What I do miss is walking into certain bars, no need to mention them here as we all know the suspects, scanning the tap heads and finding a favorite seasonal or a new one-off to enjoy fresh on tap. No number of LCBO listings or canned deliveries will bring me that joy. I sure hope we still have these places when we come out the other end of this. *sigh*
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

Great to hear how everyone is "coping" 8)
That was a good point by Craig...not buying as many "expensive" bottles. I think that fits my pattern too. I did splurge on a few big money online orders, but overall it's been the $3-4 beers.
I've been off sours for quite some time, so the lambic availability hasn't been tempting to me, unlike Coronaeus (which makes my wallet happy!)

Edit ... also, ya...park beers have been enjoyable. The free comedy show on Fridays at Bickford Park has been decent.

I do wonder what will happen as weather gets bad, patios become unrealistic, "CafeTO" ends, flu season kicks in, darkness descends... :o

At least I do have a bunch of big stouts still left in my dwindling cellar for when that happens.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

my alcohol intake has increased since the pandemic started. who are we trying to kid here? there is a can shortage :roll:

“We are now consuming about 90 to 95 per cent by tin cans and only four to five per cent by tap or in the bar and that has put a significant pressure on the aluminum can manufacturing sector.”

My Aunt posted on her FB wall that Alcohol addiction and relapses are up 30% since March 2020.

Ukie
Bar Fly

Post by Ukie »

I would say spending a little more and consuming somewhat more, also staying away from the higher priced stuff. In my case I think the long, hot dry summer with numerous barbecues is the reason. I just cant barbecue without a beer in my hand. A couple cooking and supper and that might be it for the beer for the nite. Also having some newer never tried products is part of the .....problem? Picked up the Flying Dog Porter yesterday and the CA #14 oh and the Autre Chose.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Ukie wrote:I just cant barbecue without a beer in my hand.
"Honey, why are the steaks burnt and the pork sausage still cold in the middle?" :)
Ukie wrote:Picked up the Flying Dog Porter yesterday and the CA #14 oh and the Autre Chose.
So many beers, so little time!

cratez
Beer Superstar

Post by cratez »

Ukie wrote: Picked up the Flying Dog Porter yesterday and the CA #14...
Thanks for the heads up. Arrivals likes this will definitely screw up my wine plans. :P
"Bar people do not live as long as vegan joggers. However, they have more fun." - Bruce Elliott