Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

What're you drinking right now?

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I've always thought the Blau and Rochefort 10 are the best of the quads.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Magnotta 3 Threads Porter - Nice classic porter, liquorice, tobacco, cherry.

beerstodiscover
Bar Fly

Post by beerstodiscover »

Harviestoun Ola Dubh 12yr old Whisky Aged — Very well balanced stout with nicely integrated wood and whisky character. Relatively dry and easy drinking.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Chocolate Manifesto and Fullers Vintage Ale (2020) are not drinking well. Chocolate Manifesto still taste like Nesquik but it's thinner and less chocolatey than I remember. the roasted malt in Fullers this year makes the whole beer taste like a can of FAXE, Bavaria 8.6 or another Euro Strong Lager, there is no signature bready biscuity malt or marmalade character that we all love :o

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

JaseWescott wrote:... and Fullers Vintage Ale (2020) are not drinking well.... the roasted malt in Fullers this year makes the whole beer taste like a can of FAXE, Bavaria 8.6 or another Euro Strong Lager, there is no signature bready biscuity malt or marmalade character that we all love :o
They're not bloody cheap either! Regardless I will try one fresh, and leave one to fester into expected maturity. I liked last year's very much!

Do you guys have any Vintage Ales you've held on to, Fullers or St. Ambroise or otherwise? I need to cellar dive when I can... there's a small vertical in there.
In Beerum Veritas

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I haven't managed to keep a vintage ale longer than a year in a while. I did a three year vertical way back when and didn't find much benefit to the aging, so there isn't much incentive for me.

I hope this year's is better than Jase's experience. It's such a great style and not one we get that often around here.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

Craig wrote:I haven't managed to keep a vintage ale longer than a year in a while. I did a three year vertical way back when and didn't find much benefit to the aging, so there isn't much incentive for me.

I hope this year's is better than Jase's experience. It's such a great style and not one we get that often around here.
I hope it's just my palate too. I picked up Sawdust City Viva La Stout at the LCBO and it's delicious :D

borrow this picture off Untappd

Last edited by JaseWescott on Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Craig wrote:I haven't managed to keep a vintage ale longer than a year in a while. I did a three year vertical way back when and didn't find much benefit to the aging, so there isn't much incentive for me...
Yes I bet a year on most of them is already very developed. Thomas Hardy's Ale being a notable exception.
In Beerum Veritas

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Omnipollo "Mimmi" Mimosa Sour (Fruited Sour Ale)

This is one of those ones that's really hard to consider a beer. Much more like a fruit juice.

JaseWescott

Post by JaseWescott »

S. St. Jeb wrote:Omnipollo "Mimmi" Mimosa Sour (Fruited Sour Ale)

This is one of those ones that's really hard to consider a beer. Much more like a fruit juice.
I know right, it taste like a shandy. the other beer release Aura I enjoyed more.

I picked up Rodenbach Caractere Rouge and IPA No. 15 by Collective Arts (re-release of the very popular IPA No. 5)

Philip1

Post by Philip1 »

Zundert 10 (Quadrupel) from the town of the same name in the Netherlands. Normally priced $4.95 (330ml) it was $3.50 at my local LCBO.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

With a friend of mine recently discovering the world of craft beer, and instantly becoming a hazy fan, I've been tagging off his orders/trades and trying some pretty good stuff lately. The highlight has to be Brasserie du Bas, what a phenomenal brewery. Both I've tried, Neron and Vertige, are so beautifully rich, smooth and loaded with a mind blowing amount of tropical/juicy hops. Neron has an almost wildflower honey impression in its sweetness, but unlike some of these saccharine sweet IPAs they are so wonderfully balanced. Anyway I could go on, but on the topic of saccharine sweet:

Blood Brothers + Town Blood Brotherhood TIPA- I found this one so cloyingly sweet as to be undrinkable. I am sometimes mixed on these low bitterness haze bombs anyway since I prefer some bitterness in an IPA, but I do like Badlands quite a bit. Curious if anyone found the same thing with this one.

Bobsy
Beer Superstar

Post by Bobsy »

JaseWescott wrote:Chocolate Manifesto and Fullers Vintage Ale (2020) are not drinking well. Chocolate Manifesto still taste like Nesquik but it's thinner and less chocolatey than I remember. the roasted malt in Fullers this year makes the whole beer taste like a can of FAXE, Bavaria 8.6 or another Euro Strong Lager, there is no signature bready biscuity malt or marmalade character that we all love :o
I agree with your statements on both of these. Disappointing,

Drinking Crooked Path Baltic Porter from Amsterdam. This is nice, and not too high ABV either, which means Tempest is on deck for after dinner.

Belgian
Bar Towel Legend

Post by Belgian »

Bobsy wrote:... which means Tempest is on deck for after dinner.
Thanks, reminds me I have a Double Tempest from a few years back.

Also the excellent Cigar City Marshal Zhukov BARIS is just $15 at Spadina and Front store.
I guess they've given up selling this beast for $20-30? YVW.
In Beerum Veritas

portwood

Post by portwood »

Belgian wrote:Also the excellent Cigar City Marshal Zhukov BARIS is just $15 at Spadina and Front store.
I guess they've given up selling this beast for $20-30?
the peeps are saving up for the goose that laid the $23 golden egg :lol:
@markhamwhisky