Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Hazelnut beers

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Hazelnut beers

Post by Craig »

I first ran into a stout with hazelnut added when one won at FoBAB the one year I went which was ages ago now. There were a lot of them there, and it really felt like the hot new emerging trend. For whatever reason, that tend never emerged in Canada at all.

There's a chocolate hazelnut stout from Whitewater in the LCBO right now, so I gave it a try. The hazelnut addition is interesting, and really distinct. I can see why this was a mini trend. I'm not sure this will be a style I gravitate to, but are there any other Canadian or Ontario beers with hazelnut flavouring? I'd try a few more.

Chris

Post by Chris »

I've had quite a few -- the only one I really liked (and I LOVED it) was Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar. All others varied from meh to bad...

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

Went to my archive list; here are hazelnut beers that I have had.

Publican House Hazelnut Coffee Stout
Sawdust City Lusciousness Hazelnut Latte Imperial Milkstout
Waterloo Chocolate Hazelnut Porter
Wellington UVB-76 Boris Bourbon Barrel-Aged Imperial Stout with Hazelnut & Vanilla
Whiprsnapr This Sh*t is Bananas Banana Hazelnut Wheat Ale
Whitewater Chocolate Hazelnut Stout
Refined Fool Cross Country Sniper Hazelnut Espresso Porter

Pretty sure they were all one-offs. The Whitewater is indeed current at the LCBO. The Refined Fool beer is current from the brewery. I have them in my stock, but haven't tried either one yet.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Chris wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 12:16 am I've had quite a few -- the only one I really liked (and I LOVED it) was Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar. All others varied from meh to bad...
Did really enjoy that Hazelnut Brown! I think Rogue Dead Guy is still available, haven't seen the Hazelnut in many years. I kind of miss Rogue's screen printed bombers...very unique!

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

Similarly, I fear these are one offs but they do feature hazelnuts:

Evil Twin - Imperial Biscotti Chili Hazelnut Break
Third Moon/Volo collaboration - Il Bacio Della Morte
Wellington - Compromise

Tapsucker
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Tapsucker »

Please no. *SHUDDER*
Brands are for cattle.
Fans are cash cows.
The herd will consume until consumed.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

Barncat has a hazelnut beer release this weekend: https://barncatales.com/2023/01/18/beer ... y-20-21-2/
untappd/instacrap/facebitch/snapitychat/etc: @matttthewgeorge

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:50 am Barncat has a hazelnut beer release this weekend: https://barncatales.com/2023/01/18/beer ... y-20-21-2/

Jackass has a hazelnut Porter right now as well.
To be honest I’ve never really had anything that good from Jackass, but it may be worth your while heading to C-bridge and hitting the two breweries at once. So long as the Barncat stout Barncat doesn’t sell out too fast.

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

dale cannon

Post by dale cannon »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:50 am Barncat has a hazelnut beer release this weekend: https://barncatales.com/2023/01/18/beer ... y-20-21-2/
Sipping on Barncat’s Mother Night right now after wrapping up brewing more American brown ale…simply phenomenal beer, great use of hazelnut, excellent work Matt and team.
That's the way she goes. Sometimes she goes, sometimes it doesn't. She didn't go. That's the way she goes.

shintriad
Bar Fly

Post by shintriad »

So...Mill Street Brewery has come out with a hazelnut brown ale. Would I recommend it? No, not really. But it might scratch a certain itch!

https://millstreetdelivery.com/products ... -brown-ale

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Rogue's Hazelnut Brown has been my favourite over the years.

I had the Whitewater one last night. Very nice! I'd buy that again.
lister

cannondale
Bar Fly

Post by cannondale »

I recall a BYO clone recipe for the rogue hazelnut ale....this chat inspires me to order some hazelnut flavouring and brew some up...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

Should you be in the Greater Toronto Area good news is at hand: https://www.canadianbeernews.com/2023/0 ... -hazelnut/