Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

London, England pubs

Discuss beer travel and regional information, including the best bars and places to check out around in Canada and around the world, and other chat that is not specific to Ontario.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

sofakingdrunk
Bar Fly

Post by sofakingdrunk »

BartOwl wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:20 am I am reviving an old thread, as I am currently in London, England. Since I am staying in SOHO downtown, there are plenty of pubs with an excellent selection of beer, including cask ales often. I won't ask for recommendations as there are lots of decent pubs. It is first time here, and the beer culture is excellent. I have enjoyed on cask Timothy Taylor Landlord, Greene King IPA, and St Austell Tribute. All good beers.

Cheers

Landlord on cask is one of lifes true pleasures.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

Yes Landlord was good. I think I enjoyed hogs back traditional English ale even better, as it had a stronger hop taste. I also had a nice porter, which I cannot remember the name now. Fuller's ESB is also highly regarded.

I also got to visit Castle Rock brewery in Nottingham. They had a nice pale ale on cask.

BartOwl

Post by BartOwl »

They have a Wheatsheaf here too, which also dates to the 1800s. I stopped in for a pint.
20230812_113416.jpg

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

We were in the UK last summer, London, Manchester, Edinburgh (with a day trip to Glasgow) and Chigwell (wedding.)

Return visits to:
Cask Pub+Kitchen
Rake (Borough Market)
The Harp

New visits:
Mikkeller (Exmouth market)
Craft House London (Exmouth market, pizza joint but has pretty good beer and a nice "street" side patio)
Exmouth Arms
Mr Fogg's Tavern

Cocktails:
American Bar
Connaught Bar
Nightjar (Carnaby location this time)

Restaurants:
Le Petit Beef (Excellent!)
Bob Bob Ricard (Soho, very good!)
Din Tai Fung (Selfridges)
Padella (Shoreditch)
Duck & Waffle

Other:
God's Own Junkyard (neon signs place, has bar inside, pretty cool to visit)

If you ever find yourself in Brighton I recommend the combo of Bincho Yakitori and The Evening Star.
lister