Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Henderson Brewing @ YYZ

Discuss Ontario's brewpubs, pubs, beer bars and restaurants here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

Cass
Beer Superstar

Henderson Brewing @ YYZ

Post by Cass »

I flew the red-eye home this morning and noticed the new Henderson Brewing bar behind some hoarding at Pearson Airport. I think it is opening this week.

The bar is located right as you leave customs in terminal 1, where everyone waits for their loved ones to arrive.

It's a bit unfortunate it's on the outside of security which obviously makes it less appealing for pre-flight drinks. But I suppose if you're going to greet travellers or have a connection, or go to the airport super early, it presents an option to have a nice beer.

Napalm Frog

Post by Napalm Frog »

It's actually in a perfect spot for those arriving and wanting to take a quick moment to decompress before figuring out their transit downtown. It was open went I passed by at 8PM today, but after a looong 13h flight with a cranky S/O in tail, I skipped it. But it looks like a nice little spot, with beer-to-go and merch with a strong emphasis on the Rush collab.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

Napalm Frog wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:22 am It's actually in a perfect spot for those arriving and wanting to take a quick moment to decompress before figuring out their transit downtown.
Very fair point - I can think of times when I've arrived home after a million hours of travel and just want to have a beer. It really is one of the first things you see after exiting the customs hall so would be quite welcome!

portwood

Post by portwood »

Cass wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 10:17 pm
Napalm Frog wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:22 am It's actually in a perfect spot for those arriving and wanting to take a quick moment to decompress before figuring out their transit downtown.
Very fair point - I can think of times when I've arrived home after a million hours of travel and just want to have a beer. It really is one of the first things you see after exiting the customs hall so would be quite welcome!
I can see having a beer on the way somewhere, or during a layover BUT the last thing I want to do after arriving at my destination is spend more time at the airport!
The place to decompress is a proper bar (at or near a hotel), or on a comfy chair at home ... not some stress filled, large, noisy airport.
@markhamwhisky

Craig
Seasoned Drinker

Post by Craig »

I'm with Portwood on that, but to each their own. When I get off the plane the only thing I want to do is get somewhere I can drop off my luggage as quickly as possible.

lister
Beer Superstar

Post by lister »

Yup, I want a nice beer while after Security while waiting to fly out (both in domestic and international terminals), not at the end of my trip or (GULP!) ahead of dealing with Security.
lister

S. St. Jeb
Seasoned Drinker

Post by S. St. Jeb »

I don't travel by plane very often, but nonetheless have had the same thoughts as many of you; when I land, I just want to get on my way home.

I have been to the airport a couple of times this year to pick people up; it would be nice to go there a little early and have a beer while I wait, but then I'm paying those high parking rates for that much longer. :(

El Pinguino
Seasoned Drinker

Post by El Pinguino »

I usually rent my cars from the airport, sounds like a perfect spot to stop after I drop my car off, and before I hop on the TTC express bus back to the city. I think they have an exclusive beer for that location too?

Normally I am with others on the beers in airport thing though - enjoy one or two when departing somewhere, not after arriving.