Looking for the original Bar Towel blog? You can find it at www.thebartowel.com.

We have a trivia question in order to register to prevent bots. If you have any issues with answering, contact us at cass@bartowel.com for help.

Introducing Light Mode! If you would like a Bar Towel social experience that isn't the traditional blue, you can now select Light Mode. Go to the User Control Panel and then Board Preferences, and select "Day Drinking" (Light Mode) from the My Board Style drop-down menu. You can always switch back to "Night Drinking" (Dark Mode). Enjoy!

Shrinkflation

Discuss beer or anything else that comes to mind in here.

Moderators: Craig, Cass

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

I can't bring myself to be a dick about it at the bar. I'll just talk about them behind their back on forums :)

In all seriousness though, I have been noticing it more and more there which is unfortunate. I've found an older school British pub not far away that still does 18/20oz glasses and the beer selection is passable. So I'll probably "quiet quit" on them and migrate my business for the time being.

Lol. Me neither. Some of the older British ex-pat types aren't afraid to complain about it though. I think guarding against "short measure" is more ingrained in their pub culture?

BigBob

Post by BigBob »

Cass wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 9:35 am
midlife crisis wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:40 am Agree! So do act like a bit of a dick and ask for a top-up, or quietly pay too much for too little?
I can't bring myself to be a dick about it at the bar. I'll just talk about them behind their back on forums :)

In all seriousness though, I have been noticing it more and more there which is unfortunate. I've found an older school British pub not far away that still does 18/20oz glasses and the beer selection is passable. So I'll probably "quiet quit" on them and migrate my business for the time being.
As you have no problem naming names, it sounds like the older school British pub you mention merits some attention, not to mention a few of my dollars. Please share.

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

midlife crisis wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:04 am Lol. Me neither. Some of the older British ex-pat types aren't afraid to complain about it though. I think guarding against "short measure" is more ingrained in their pub culture?
Yeah, I've seen Brits say something about short pours here. In fact, recently I saw one complain at Volo on Yonge St., which was kind of hilarious as they basically serve in kids glasses :P

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

Now that I'm thinking about it, the Shrinkflation trend (a few years old now) in the pub that really bugs me is the adoption of glasses shaped exactly like Nonic pints, but that are clearly smaller than 20 oz -- probably 16 or even 14 ounces. If you're going to serve a non-pint, please be transparent about it and do it in a non-pint glass! [/rant]

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

BigBob wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:49 am As you have no problem naming names, it sounds like the older school British pub you mention merits some attention, not to mention a few of my dollars. Please share.
You're absolutely right. I'm out in Oakville where the pickings are a bit slim but I've enjoyed the Queen's Head just off the downtown Lakeshore strip. It's got a good pubby feel, dark and chill with a fireplace. I can tell from accents of patrons that Brits and others go too.

It doesn't have an Ontario craft selection to speak of (Molson bar), but they do have Creemore IPA and London Pride and that kind of thing, and as mentioned full 20oz glasses. Maybe if I become a bit more of a regular I'll ask them about improving the selection :)

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

I don't know about the economics of things and how margins have/haven't changed in the last few years, but there is something that I think lands on the psychological end of things.

At my favourite Front Street bar, they sell stuff in three sizes. The largest size is what Limeys would prefer, but the price points of some of these sizes are a bit shocking. Not saying that that size makes the most sense, especially among some of the higher abv options, but seeing mid double digit prices can be shocking.

I remember similar sticker shock in Singapore.

seangm
Bar Fly

Post by seangm »

Queen & Beaver, a favourite of mine, still pour a proper 20 oz and charge $10-11. I know what you mean about sticker shock when you hit double digits, but then I was looking at going to the Rosedale Diner before they close for good and they're charging up to $12 for a mere 16 oz pour :o

Cass
Beer Superstar

Post by Cass »

anthony9 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:14 pm At my favourite Front Street bar, they sell stuff in three sizes. The largest size is what Limeys would prefer, but the price points of some of these sizes are a bit shocking. Not saying that that size makes the most sense, especially among some of the higher abv options, but seeing mid double digit prices can be shocking.
I'm pretty sure I know which bar you're referring to and although I agree that the sticker shock can be drastic, I respect that they will pour any beer in a 20oz pint if desired. I'd rather have a basic understanding of relative prices instead of bars that tinker with sizes to keep pricing within a certain range.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

midlife crisis wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:04 am

Lol. Me neither. Some of the older British ex-pat types aren't afraid to complain about it though. I think guarding against "short measure" is more ingrained in their pub culture?

I say something. They will never change if you don't.

When in Ireland this past summer the people that we were with almost went out of their way to complain about the quality of the pour of their beer, especially Guinness
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:40 pm
When in Ireland this past summer the people that we were with almost went out of their way to complain about the quality of the pour of their beer, especially Guinness
Yeah, the Irish are almost comically obsessed, I have found, with "pouring a nice pint". As if it makes a difference to the taste of the Guinness. Sorry, but it doesn't. Guinness, these days, is mass produced, served with a heavy dose of nitrogen, and generally presented freezing cold ("if it gets any colder they'll serve it on a stick"). The quality of the pour probably mattered back in the day -- I believe in the distant past, before the advent of beer gas, it was actually a blend of different barrels kept by the publican, so could vary considerably.

MatttthewGeorge
Bar Fly

Post by MatttthewGeorge »

midlife crisis wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:54 pm
MatttthewGeorge wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:40 pm
Yeah, the Irish are almost comically obsessed, I have found, with "pouring a nice pint". As if it makes a difference to the taste of the Guinness. Sorry, but it doesn't. Guinness, these days, is mass produced, served with a heavy dose of nitrogen, and generally presented freezing cold ("if it gets any colder they'll serve it on a stick"). The quality of the pour probably mattered back in the day -- I believe in the distant past, before the advent of beer gas, it was actually a blend of different barrels kept by the publican, so could vary considerably.

I certainly had some fantastic tasting pints when I was there, and some were less than stellar. But I chalked it up to how fresh the keg was, how clean the lines where, how clean the glass was... as a matter of fact one of my Guinness was sent back from our party on night because he was upset with my pour, and the "quality" pour was one of the less than stellar pints I had, lol
I used to sell beer. Now I don't.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Cass wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 2:08 pm
anthony9 wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 1:14 pm At my favourite Front Street bar, they sell stuff in three sizes. The largest size is what Limeys would prefer, but the price points of some of these sizes are a bit shocking. Not saying that that size makes the most sense, especially among some of the higher abv options, but seeing mid double digit prices can be shocking.
I'm pretty sure I know which bar you're referring to and although I agree that the sticker shock can be drastic, I respect that they will pour any beer in a 20oz pint if desired. I'd rather have a basic understanding of relative prices instead of bars that tinker with sizes to keep pricing within a certain range.
I agree with their practice, and also like the choice given to patrons. I understand why places want to keep double digit prices off the drink menu.

I usually get the middle option, as I balance choice and price/mL. I say choice because my tolerance is probably in the first quartile. If I get a 20oz of anything but lower abv stuff, it's the only one for that night (versus 12oz x2).

midlife crisis
Beer Superstar

Post by midlife crisis »

MatttthewGeorge wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 5:01 pm I certainly had some fantastic tasting pints when I was there, and some were less than stellar. But I chalked it up to how fresh the keg was, how clean the lines where, how clean the glass was... as a matter of fact one of my Guinness was sent back from our party on night because he was upset with my pour, and the "quality" pour was one of the less than stellar pints I had, lol
Hope this isn't too much of a thread-jack, but I hardly ever get out to bars any more compared to pre-C19. However, I was out the other night with friends and really enjoyed a couple of pints of Great Lakes Session Stout on nitro draught. Nice and fresh and just much better than bog-standard Guinness (as served in Ontario at least). Wish the GLB Stout was widely available. So good.

anthony9

Post by anthony9 »

Adding nitro is almost always a welcome addition in my book.